Runners, when does running become enjoyable?

Replies

• extra
    extra Posts: 5 Member
    I have just started running again and found this to be pretty motivating:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running
  • lblert
    lblert Posts: 55
    What isn't clicking with Chi Running? I feel like after I read the book a couple of times and watched some YouTube videos, my running really improved when I tried to incorporate the form he recommends and using a metronome to get my turnover quicker and my pace steadier. When I first started out, my knees were hurting every time. But I never have knee pain anymore and I'm up to around 3-4 miles three times a week.
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Back in the day when I ran... it became enjoyable when I quit thinking about how hard it was annd thought about how beautiful my suroundings were and how nothing could destroy that while i was out running...
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    What isn't clicking with Chi Running? I feel like after I read the book a couple of times and watched some YouTube videos, my running really improved when I tried to incorporate the form he recommends and using a metronome to get my turnover quicker and my pace steadier. When I first started out, my knees were hurting every time. But I never have knee pain anymore and I'm up to around 3-4 miles three times a week.

lblert, I really think video would be helpful. I can do a Youtube search, but do you have any clips that you *know* show the distinction between good and poor form?
  • juiletflt
    juiletflt Posts: 159
    For me week 3 and 4 were the hardest and I started to actually enjoy the running somewhere around week 6 after the 20 minute run. It's still hard work, but it doesn't suck as much as week 3 and 4, AND the feeling of pride makes it amazing. I love it!

This is coming from someone that always hated running and never thought they could be a runner. Just a few short weeks ago I struggled to finish the 1 minute run, now I am happily doing 28 straight minutes.

Oh, and go slower. No really, go slower.
  • scottdsexton
    scottdsexton Posts: 25 Member
    When I'm finished and I crack open the first beer

This ^^
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Disclaimer: *I AM NOT A RUNNER*

never. running is the bane of my existence.

Ditto. I've never enjoyed running so I bike, power walk or do the elliptical instead.

My knees are happier with my choice also. Win-win.
  • letmebangbro
    letmebangbro Posts: 213 Member
    Used to run.
    Was always terrible.
    But find a spot where you want to run to, makes it more enjoyable I suppose when you reach your goal.

Start playing flock of seaguls-i ran
    and run to your hearts content
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Huh. Ok, now looking up minimalist running shoes. Didn't even know they were used for running. I thought minimalist shoes were more for weightlifting! Hey, does anyone have any recommendations for places to look for pain-free or low injury running tips? I've read Chi Running, but it's not entirely clicking.

Be cautioned, transitioning from a normal shoe to a minimalist shoe can cause a lot of calf pain as your stride and foot placement changes. Go slow in those. I would recommend going to a real running store (not a chain store) and getting fitted. They should watch you run and help you get what is right for you. Try on all sorts, and go with what feels best. A good shoe shouldn't need breaking in (the exception being your first pair of minimalist shoes if you are used to traditional heel-toe drops). A good store will let you return them if they don't work out.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    For me, it was when I signed up for my first 1/2 marathon with a charity team. I'd never run more than a 5k, and that reluctantly... Something about training with the team, for a great cause, helped me get beyond the "I can't." When I figured out I CAN, running was so much better! It is still better when I can run with a friend rather than by myself.

The beer thing also has a LOT of merit!!!
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    I started to enjoy it when I got rid of those stupid running shoes with inch-thick outsoles and huge heels (virtually guaranteeing that I heel-strike and end up like everyone else with shin splints and wasted knees) and started running in minimalist running shoes. That day I said goodbye to recurring tendonitis and collapsed arches.

I started cycling between my Nikes and a pair of five-fingers and have since moved on to Merrell Barefoots and VivoBarefoot Achilles. Now I'm running 10Ks and half-maras completely pain free.

I agree 100%. yes I know they are not for everyone, but my Barefoot Merrell have made such a difference. Love them!!
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    On a quiet trail that smells rich and earthy. On a snowy night while snowflakes gently fall all around you. On the treadmill with the incline turned high, music turned up and intervals challenging enough you're impressed your heart can beat that fast, loud and strong.

When you get so caught up in it you forget how hard it is.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    I can't say I ever enjoy running while in the act, but the after of effects of running and also lifting are two of the most positive mood altering substances I know.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    This may sound silly but running became fun when I decided to think of it as my play time rather than a workout.

Having said that, I've been running consistently for a few years (ran my first 5K 5 years ago and am know running half-marathons and am a wanabe triathlete) and there are still days that are better than others. Even the most experienced runners will have good days and bad days and the trick is to push past the bad days (it's usually mental) and keep on putting one foot in front of the other.
    On a quiet trail that smells rich and earthy. On a snowy night while snowflakes gently fall all around you.
    ^^^^^ This......or a run on a quiet morning and coming across deer feeding beside the path.
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    For me week 3 and 4 were the hardest and I started to actually enjoy the running somewhere around week 6 after the 20 minute run. It's still hard work, but it doesn't suck as much as week 3 and 4, AND the feeling of pride makes it amazing. I love it!

This is coming from someone that always hated running and never thought they could be a runner. Just a few short weeks ago I struggled to finish the 1 minute run, now I am happily doing 28 straight minutes.

Oh, and go slower. No really, go slower.

I'm really hoping to get to a place where I can run for 28 minutes! That would be amazing! But about going slower, well, seriously, I log it as walking, I'm so slow. For example, my C25K program gave me a 51 minute training session today, and according to my phone's GPS, I went 3 miles. Seriously. Granted, it's a run/walk program and I kind of wonder about the accuracy of the GPS, but still.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    I HATE running. Hate, hate, hate it. However, I LOVE what it does for me more than I hate it.

Regarding OP's pain issues I would recommend, as others have, that she make sure she has proper shoes and to also look into one of the several running form [groups/disciplines/not sure what to call them]. I read up on Chi Running and it saved me from tons of pain.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    I use to hate it in the armed forces, because I always viewed it as a choir. Now a days I would be out of breathe and hurting but my mind would be super relaxed, and if I have good music it is even better.

So when you stop seeing it as a choir is when it becomes enjoyable.
  • lblert
    lblert Posts: 55
    The author has a YouTube channel called Chi Living with a lot of good short videos. This one is good for a description of form:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8egf6aXgH0&feature=youtube_gdata_player. It's on another guy's fitness channel, but he has Danny Dreyer on to teach the form.

The big changes for me was making sure my knees and feet pointed forward (I tended to point my toes out) and not over-striding/heel-striking. I also used a metronome app on my phone that I played over whatever music I was listening to in order to get a quicker cadence. Don't worry about your pace as much as your cadence. Your pace will increase as you build stamina and add distance.
  • Csuvetmed
    Csuvetmed Posts: 36 Member
    I liked it alright when I first started, but it was definitely difficult for me. I liked it a lot after I ran my first half marathon. I loved it after a year of consistency and a marathon, and then I loved it with an unholy passion once I started trail running.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    I love the challenge of running and the sense of accomplishment.
    I did a leg of the Belfast marathon 3 years ago and it was such a wonderful experience.
    I feel I do better at shorter distances and this time around I will be focusing just on that.
    I am on week 5 of c25k and the other morning I was out at 515am,it was cold and dark and the blue moon was shining down on my run and I felt the love!I really do enjoy it but not everyone will.
    Hope it gets better for you!