Calories used hanging out a load of laundry

Hi, I am new to this site and very keen to loose weight. Can someone tell me how many calories you use hanging out a full basket of laundry, clothes and towels. Thanks

Replies

• Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Depends - what's the fabric content of the clothes? Are the towels regular bath sized, or the spa "sheets?"
  • No enough to make any special effort to record it IMO
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Hi, I am new to this site and very keen to loose weight. Can someone tell me how many calories you use hanging out a full basket of laundry, clothes and towels. Thanks

Probably as much as you will chuckling
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member

You're not serious right?

If you're that worried about what you burn doing everyday things, get a body monitor - BodyMedia, Fitbit, Jawbone UP... something along those lines. It won't tell you what you burn doing every individual thing, but it'll tell you what you burned all day long.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Is this not something you did before starting to lose weight? Everyday activities are not exercise. But to answer your question probably not anymore than you would have burned if the dryer was drying them.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Please don't count everyday things ....your activity level has already given you credit for this. Now, there may be times when you want to log more extreme household things (like painting the house, or heavy snow shoveling) but logging everyday things will slow your weight loss way down.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Literally a trillion. It's Arnold Schwarzenegger's super secret tech to burn fat. Don't do it too often, or you will get bulky!

/s
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    are you kidding me
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    first post guys come on. if you want to know your calorie burn on a "daily" basis get a fitbit or they have a pedometer with a calorie burn on it at walmart for 15 bucks. unless you are walking a half mile or something to hang out your clothes, your not burning anything extra. most people would consider that an everyday thing that would not count as a logged exercise. walk for a half hr a day and then add that to your exercise log.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    http://www.fitday.com/webfit/burned/calories_burned_Implied_standing_laundry_fold_or_hang_clothes_put_clothes_in_washer_or_dryer_packing_suitcase.html

put in your weight, height, age and gender. for me, it would be an extra 57 calories for an hour of work... don't be surprised if it is less than you think.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    seriously dont count mundane tasks they do nothing for you and would be part of a sedentary lifestyle.
  • probably around the same as making a sandwich.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member

You're not serious right?

If you're that worried about what you burn doing everyday things, get a body monitor - BodyMedia, Fitbit, Jawbone UP... something along those lines. It won't tell you what you burn doing every individual thing, but it'll tell you what you burned all day long.

This, i have a Polar FT60 atm and once a month i leave it on for 24hrs to re-test my TDEE on an average non training day. gets uncomfortable after 6hrs and leaves a hell of a mark tho don't get me wrong, also you need to keep remoistening the sensorts and once an hour it might freak out but it gives a good average and low and behold what it read and what my TDEE based on a sedentary light activity day was almost spot on.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Things like laundry should be factored into your settings already. When you set up your account you had to select an option like sedentary, lightly active, active, etc. and that's where you should factor stuff like this in.

I have a desk job, but I also do chores and don't just sit around the house all day when I get home. So I found that Lighty Active was more suiting for my needs than the sedentary, despite the site descriptions.

Otherwise, the general rule that I've always used is that if it's something that I did as a part of my regular life before I started trying to lose weight (yes, that includes big cleaning days, since I've always done those too), then I don't log it.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Depends on which washing powder you use