Will loosing weight get me a job

Replies

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    I don't think they test spelling in most job interviews..

I think losing weight makes finding a job much easier.

I've personally tossed resumes with misspelled words on them. Not a test, but common sense. Yes losing weight will make looking for a job easier, if she hires you so you can "help" her - wonder what happens once it's lost?
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Sorry, I'm a teacher an that is one of my pet peeves. I apologize for being rude.

My comment has nothing to do with OP's post but this made me smile :)

My mother was a teacher, I used to leave her post-it with notes on, she would just correct them all the darn time. It made me mad, but I was 14 so everything made me mad back then :laugh:
  • memawx12
    memawx12 Posts: 11 Member
    I do believe that obesity and age kept me from getting some jobs There are situations where an older person is preferred for their maturity and dependability, but people sometimes perceive obesity as a character weakness.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    It has helped me for sure!!!

My last job, interviewer was BLOWN AWAY.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    I do the hiring for my company and if you can't string together a resume that has proper spelling and grammar it goes in the garbage. If you make it to the interview, since it is a job that has some physical demands, I conduct the interviews in my upstairs office and if you're huffing and puffing making it up the long flight of stairs it isn't likely I'll be hiring you. It makes a huge difference if you are healthy enough to do the job and I don't care how many people tell me that they are overweight but in really good physical condition it's never worked out that way. I think being significantly overweight is a reflection of how much effort you put into all aspects of your life.
  • I conduct the interviews in my upstairs office and if you're huffing and puffing making it up the long flight of stairs it isn't likely I'll be hiring you.

Well, that's going to get you and your company sued. I truly hope someone you work for or have refused a job offer sees this and figures out it is you some day.
    It makes a huge difference if you are healthy enough to do the job and I don't care how many people tell me that they are overweight but in really good physical condition it's never worked out that way.

I'm overweight and in significantly better condition than most people I know, and I know TONS of fit young college students.
    I think being significantly overweight is a reflection of how much effort you put into all aspects of your life.

That's because you are an ignorant troll and a blight on society. I gained a ton of weight while I was suffering through some liver problems. Prior to that, I worked on a farm doing hard physical labor all day that most people would cringe at the thought of. I exercise daily, and I had even gone back to school to get a degree in mathematics while at the same time being a single father for three young boys, the youngest of which was 1 at the time.

Tell me more about how you put that much more effort into life than me. I dare you.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    I don't think they test spelling in most job interviews..

I think losing weight makes finding a job much easier.

I read the resumes for hiring for my team at work and trust me when I say that spelling most definitely counts. As does a properly formatted resume, written with proper grammar. If a person can't get their resume resume right, which they've had all the time they needed to get it absolutely perfect, then how could I ever expect them to perform well in a high work volume environment that involves written communication with vendors and copy that ends up on our company website? A resume with spelling and/or grammatical errors rarely makes it past the review stage.

But if the person makes it past the resume review and the phone screen, weight has never once played a part in any hiring decisions I have ever made.

Was finding the "resume resume" error in this post a test?
  • jaybird110
    jaybird110 Posts: 16 Member
    It's not always just about prejudice and appearance.
    At my job, we need to be on our feet long hours, lift heavy objects, quickly navigate around the hospital, etc.
    If we were hiring and the two applicants we equally qualified but one was more physically fit and therefore better able to perform necessary aspects of the job, that person would be more likely to get the job.
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    True for some jobs you have to be physically fit, but just because I'm over weight doesn't mean I'm not fit.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Probably not, but correct spelling would help--lose weight, losing weight--not loose.

Thank you for educating me and your input on the subject was most informative.

Actually, it was. How you communicate is 90% of getting a job. Does your resume have have typos? How well do you interview? Does your opinion of your "weight" affect your opinion of yourself and therefore affect how you present yourself? Then yes, it does.

As a hiring manager, I can tell you that we have candidates and we are looking to exclude as many as we can until we get to the final few. Then we really focus on the core of a person. So, any "issue" you have, will make you less marketable.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
  • Tiffa0909
    Tiffa0909 Posts: 191 Member
    Yes , I have seen two people walk in a job interview and the fat person with the better credentials get turned down in favor of the skinny or attractive person with questionable credentials. Is all about how you present yourself.

Being attractive gives you benefits in life , it not only helps you with landing more jobs but getting a better compensation. And being at a healthy weight is part of what society considers attractive.

Also our appearance affects the way we communicate and present ourselves to others , I know that my weigh has kept me back from interacting the way I want and that has hurt me in a couple of interviews.
  • trackmyday1973
    trackmyday1973 Posts: 393 Member
    Sorry, I'm a teacher an that is one of my pet peeves. I apologize for being rude.

*an* should be and :)

Just sayin' teach ;)
  • GroundhogsDayAgain
    GroundhogsDayAgain Posts: 13 Member
    I think so :)
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Probably not, but correct spelling would help--lose weight, losing weight--not loose.

Apparently being a d bag is ok though.:drinker:
  • buffywhitney
    buffywhitney Posts: 172 Member
    I'm with you teacher. I see that particular mistake made everyday here on the message boards and it really bugs me too! I Doubt it will get better with comments though.
  • trackmyday1973
    trackmyday1973 Posts: 393 Member

Apparently being a d bag is ok though.:drinker:

:drinker:
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    I do the hiring for my company and if you can't string together a resume that has proper spelling and grammar it goes in the garbage. If you make it to the interview, since it is a job that has some physical demands, I conduct the interviews in my upstairs office and if you're huffing and puffing making it up the long flight of stairs it isn't likely I'll be hiring you. It makes a huge difference if you are healthy enough to do the job and I don't care how many people tell me that they are overweight but in really good physical condition it's never worked out that way. I think being significantly overweight is a reflection of how much effort you put into all aspects of your life.

I think the stair- aspect you mention is a reasonable way of thinking to be honest. No one likes to hear it but when you read the success stories here, many people will tell you about how they found that they let themselves go, how they had no self-discipline etc. Obviously it is unfair to judge against people who happen to express this lack of discipline through eating (as opposed to, say smoking or drinking- you can't see domestic violence in an interview either) simply because it is physically obvious.

It's a sensitive subject (as one can see from the comments) and my point of view is that unless you get lucky, one has to try and improve in the public eye of the beholder. There are TONS of prejudices out there- mention you had depression, that means you are a weak person, Hearing impairment means you are "slow", dyslexia = low IQ, MENSA member = arrogant *kitten*, bipolar/ADHS = excuse for lack of self-discipline, very good looking = slut, ugly = incompetent, the list goes on.

Weight is just one of many aspects determining prejudices. Of course, not all employers are that prejudiced- I'm just saying that weight is not the only thing that lowers job chances. And we haven't even touched gender/race prejudices yet.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    I conduct the interviews in my upstairs office and if you're huffing and puffing making it up the long flight of stairs it isn't likely I'll be hiring you.

Well, that's going to get you and your company sued. I truly hope someone you work for or have refused a job offer sees this and figures out it is you some day.

Why? That's where my office is. I can choose to meet you in my office or the lunch room. I choose the office and I run those stairs all day long. If you can't make it up there easily once then you probably aren't going to be a good candidate for working a 12 hour day at a physically demanding job.

It makes a huge difference if you are healthy enough to do the job and I don't care how many people tell me that they are overweight but in really good physical condition it's never worked out that way.

I'm overweight and in significantly better condition than most people I know, and I know TONS of fit young college students.

That would be your opinion of yourself and you're entitled to it but if you can't prove that your weight isn't a hindrance to the job I need you to do then I'll use my own judgement of how you present yourself.
    I think being significantly overweight is a reflection of how much effort you put into all aspects of your life.

That's because you are an ignorant troll and a blight on society. I gained a ton of weight while I was suffering through some liver problems. Prior to that, I worked on a farm doing hard physical labor all day that most people would cringe at the thought of. I exercise daily, and I had even gone back to school to get a degree in mathematics while at the same time being a single father for three young boys, the youngest of which was 1 at the time.

Tell me more about how you put that much more effort into life than me. I dare you.

Prior to your weight gain you worked a physical job, doesn't mean you could do it after. I'm assuming with your "go getter" attitude that you'll lose the weight again and become the fine physical specimen you were before. We all have challenges in life, I won't bore you with my life story to justify our hiring practices because I can already tell from your attitude here that you have a huge chip on your shoulder which most likely comes across quite clearly in an interview. That's why we do long interviews and ask lots of questions. True colors usually come out fairly quickly.