how could i have that much body fat?

I have tried numerous calculators and am getting my body fat at 25%-30%. Howe

I weight 97.2
waist: 24
wrist: 5.5
forearm: 8
hips:31
calves: 11

Are these big numbers here? strangely, when I changed my weight to 160...my body fat didn't really change. wow...what are the measurements of someone with little body fat?

Replies

• LilMissDB
    LilMissDB Posts: 133
    You can't measure body fat with circumference measures or by weight. If I have bigger hip bones that you, I could have double the circumference with the same percentage of body fat. Likewise, someone with a lot of muscle will have a lower body fat percentage than someone the same size with little muscle. When we measured our body fat in university, one girl with a BMI of 19 was coming up overfat in the body fat ranges. I had a BMI of 23 but was underweight in the body fat ranges.

That said, 25-30% body fat is in the healthy range for a woman.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Skin-fold callipers cost a few pounds (or bucks) and they're far more accurate. You won't be able to do it yourself, but if you have a partner, friend, or relative, who is willing to pinch some skin you're on easy street.

http://www.linear-software.com/online.html

Use this, take measurements how it says here;

http://www.linear-software.com/femalesites.html

7-sites will be more accurate than 4-sites and so on, but it'll be a good estimation. The only more reliable method is a DEXA scan.
  • rosemary98
    rosemary98 Posts: 632
    thank you. I am nearly 5'6'' and 97 pounds. I can't believe I have that much fat...isn't fat the first to go? so frustrating. I will check out the sites.
  • AstroRocket
    AstroRocket Posts: 119 Member
    I find it hard to believe you'd have any fat on your body at all, you say your 5"6 an weigh 97 pounds, then according to your BMI that would make you a 15.6 which is underweight 0.o please do correct me if I'm wrong.
  • rosemary98
    I find it hard to believe you'd have any fat on your body at all, you say your 5"6 an weigh 97 pounds, then according to your BMI that would make you a 15.6 which is underweight 0.o please do correct me if I'm wrong.

well, yes...I am 5'5.5" and 97.2 as of this morning. I am underweight...that is why the body fat measurements confuse me. not to mention the fact that those measurements don't seem to be huge.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    These calculators are very inaccurate. Calipers are inaccurate as well but less than a calculator.
    If you really want to have the right BF% then you need a Dexa Scan or a BodPod.

Body fat % has nothing to do with height or weight.
    Me and a friend had both a Dexa scan done. She is 5'6 and weights 115lbs. She was tested with 27.3% BF
    I'm 5'2 and 130lbs. Mine came at 20.3%

It's called skinny fat :wink:

If you really want to have the accurate %, get a Dexa or Bodpod test
  • rosemary98
    These calculators are very inaccurate. Calipers are inaccurate as well but less than a calculator.
    If you really want to have the right BF% then you need a Dexa Scan or a BodPod.

Body fat % has nothing to do with height or weight.
    Me and a friend had both a Dexa scan done. She is 5'6 and weights 115lbs. She was tested with 27.3% BF
    I'm 5'2 and 130lbs. Mine came at 20.3%

It's called skinny fat :wink:

If you really want to have the accurate %, get a Dexa or Bodpod test

well, I don't doubt the possibility I am skinny fat. I am tiny boned and am not muscular. but still...I figured fat would be lost first, and I am underweight. I guess I just have a lot of fat to lose.

where do they do the Dexa scans?
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    A dexa scan is a bone density scan actually. So some medical facilities will have the equipment.

I don't know where you live so I can't send you locations, but a search in google will probably be best. Some universities have Bodpod.

About fat to lose, don't confuse fat loss with weight loss. Most skinny fat people just need a good dose of heavy lifting. It just means you have very little muscle. It's not healthy but nothing heavy lifting can't fix :flowerforyou:
  • rosemary98
    A dexa scan is a bone density scan actually. So some medical facilities will have the equipment.

I don't know where you live so I can't send you locations, but a search in google will probably be best. Some universities have Bodpod.

About fat to lose, don't confuse fat loss with weight loss. Most skinny fat people just need a good dose of heavy lifting. It just means you have very little muscle. It's not healthy but nothing heavy lifting can't fix :flowerforyou:
    thanks for the info. I am going to join a health club and talk to a personal trainer...hopefully he/she can lead me in the right direction. I certainly don't want to be carrying around a fourth of my weight in fat. ridiculous!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member

thanks for the info. I am going to join a health club and talk to a personal trainer...hopefully he/she can lead me in the right direction. I certainly don't want to be carrying around a fourth of my weight in fat. ridiculous!

25% body fat is right in the middle of the healthy range for women.... so carrying around a quarter of your weight in fat is not ridiculous at all, it's healthy. The healthy range for women is 18-28% Obese is 35%+ So 25% is in the healthy range. You're supposed to have fat on your body, for metabolic and hormonal reasons.

I do agree regarding lifting and building up your muscles though, because this is great for preventing osteoporosis, if you're underweight for your height and frame size, you'll be at greater risk for this, but lifting weights and building up your strength will help to increase your bone density.

I concur re the circumference calculators being inaccurate though.... just that I think it's important to know what the healthy body fat percentage range is.
  • scottdsexton
    scottdsexton Posts: 25 Member

I weight 97.2

Are these big numbers here? strangely, when I changed my weight to 160...my body fat didn't really change. wow...what are the measurements of someone with little body fat?
  • scottdsexton
    scottdsexton Posts: 25 Member

I weight 97.2

I can tell you seem to be bothered by this parameter but I think you are focusing on the wrong thing. At your size fat is obviously not an issue. Focus on other things like exercise and nutrition and forget about the %BF. Your range is fine.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Although it's certainly possible that you have 25%-30% body fat, which isn't an unusual amount at all, you aren't using an accurate method to measure your body fat. I've tried the calculators - they say I have somewhere between 6% and 30% body fat, and I don't worry about it because I don't take it seriously.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Although it's certainly possible that you have 25%-30% body fat, which isn't an unusual amount at all, you aren't using an accurate method to measure your body fat. I've tried the calculators - they say I have somewhere between 6% and 30% body fat, and I don't worry about it because I don't take it seriously.

I had one tell me I had minus something body fat before :laugh:
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member

I weight 97.2

I had the same question when I did the online calculations. Guess what, with my measurements I got close to the same results, and, no matter what I changed them to, got similar %. I think that is the limitation of using an online calculator for bf%. It can't possibly know what your body composition is. Your measurements are very small for your height. I would suggest eating more and lifting:)
  • rosemary98
    I know fat shouldn't be an issue. but i had this measuring tape and figured i try to figure my body fat out...i would find it strange that a woman of 97 pounds and nearly 5'6'' could carry 25% body fat...because i do have bone, muscle, organs, water ,etc...in my body. but i don't really know. i have been through weight restoration treatment before, but body fat was never mentioned.
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    If you have lost weight but your bodyfat percentage didn't change, that means that you lost muscle right along with the fat. It's only true that fat is the first to go if you 1) eat enough protein while you are losing to maintain your current muscle mass 2) use only a small deficit while you lose (10-15% below what you burn), and 3) if you engage in strength-training exercise while you lose.

If you cut your calories more than 10-15% while you lose, then your body does not have enough calories to maintain your vital organs, hair, nails, etc. and fuel your activity, so it will seek to dial down and depress your metabolism to adapt. The best way to do that is to cannibalize muscle mass. So.... depending on how you lose, muscle can easily be the first to go.
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    And incidentally, it is impossible to calculate body fat with a measuring tape. The best ways are:

1) A scale that measures bodyfat (like Withings or Fitbit ARIA)
    2) Calipers
    3) Online calculators that estimate bodyfat
  • rosemary98
    i thought i was eating enough protein. i had a baby which left me at 102 pounds which maybe left me with bone loss.. i guess maybe i didn't eat enough protein...and i certainly wasn't strength training. i hope to get this sorted out.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    i thought i was eating enough protein. i had a baby which left me at 102 pounds which maybe left me with bone loss.. i guess maybe i didn't eat enough protein...and i certainly wasn't strength training. i hope to get this sorted out.

You lost bone by having a baby?