Hey ladies...how did you learn to lift heavy?

2»

Replies

• Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Lots of research. Strong Lifts 5x5 website, and youtube form videos, as well as some MFP threads/groups. Once I went into the gym I knew all I needed to know.

I LOVE LIFTING.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Google and YouTube
  • dmorinn
    dmorinn Posts: 38 Member
    I read a lot... a lot of books, figured out at the gym through trial and error what worked best for me, google and also through forms like this one and also bodybuilding.com and I found a lot of instagrams that have good routines

also watch other people at the gym when they're working out for new exercises
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Chalene Extreme and Youtubeing strength training moves to make sure my form was correct both helped to take me from flab to fit. :)
  • Learn the basic lifts, squats, bench, pull ups, cleans, deadlifts, dips, whatever and Google and YouTube form. If you can do more than 12-15 reps you might be going too light, try to go for compound lifts and only have a few isolation lifts if any, make a routine, stick too it, and you'll get results.
    Also look up 21s they are amazing.
  • Txracy
    Txracy Posts: 78
    I read whatever advice I could find on these forums, then youtubed videos so I could see what the proper form for these exercises looks like, and then practiced (without the weight, just the bar) while checking in a mirror to make sure I was doing it right. Once I had the form down, then I started adding weights.

I bought a bench, bars, weights, etc, used for $30 and just workout in my garage. It's awesome.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    New Rules of Lifting for Women and t-nation.com. I recently bought Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe and am working through it to correct small issues with my form.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Youtube some lifts and check out form that way. I also got some help from the boyfriend, and my MFPeeps
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    I was lucky because my man showed me all the basics :heart: