Saying "hi" while running - okay or not?

Replies

• SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    I always say hi and make eye contact. If I'm attacked and become a victim I need someone to remember where they sat saw me,
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    I smile. My boobs do the waving for me.

A sine wave right?

sinewave-300x111.jpeg

Exactly
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    I smile and wave......I mean if their going to stare the least I can do is be polite.
  • dan_IRL
    dan_IRL Posts: 204 Member
    I always give a quick "Morning" and/or head nod. Half of the people I pass give a response, the other half are "in the zone".

No worries.
  • I will just smile unless someone says something to me then I will say hi or w.e fits the response. I don't care to just come out and say something and then it be a rude person and I look silly, but I try to look as friendly as I can. (kind of hard when your kicking butt and trying to push hard)
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    I've been running for 10 years and I always give a little wave. Anyone who doesn't is just a grumpy pants.

Or they have to poop so bad they can't see straight :laugh:
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    I'm mainly a biker, but I'll greet everyone. I noticed bikers respond more to other bikers, runners respond more to other runners, etc. (Rollerbladers, with your projectile legs of death and destruction - you're on your own!) ...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

People still rollerblade?

My DH tried it for a minute and broke his right wrist. He was doing some fancy trick called "turn around and come home." Bikes are way cheaper than wrist surgery.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    LOL:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    If someone makes eye contact I always assume they mean to kidnap me so I pepper spray them, blow a whistle, and run away.

markanimatedspray.gif

I've avoided 3 abductions this month alone. Always be prepared.
  • Rogus1
    Rogus1 Posts: 60 Member
    If I'm on a residential street I say hello to walkers and wave or nod to runners and cyclists. If I'm on a MUT there are just too many people and you can't acknowledge all of them.

Most all walkers and runners will return the acknowledgement. A lot of us are regulars and we see each other enough to be passing "friends." When I'm cycling it's surprising how many cyclists don't acknowledge my greeting.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    I live in a pretty friendly community most other runners will return the wave or nod and a "good morning" or "bonjour" (if I don't know which they get the bilingual version) - some are oblivious which doesn't bother me. Running puts me in a good mood and it feels like I'm smiling most of the time (I probably really look like some maniacal serial killer but I don't carry a mirror when I'm running so I'm not really sure.....)
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    I live in a pretty friendly community most other runners will return the wave or nod and a "good morning" or "bonjour" (if I don't know which they get the bilingual version) - some are oblivious which doesn't bother me. Running puts me in a good mood and it feels like I'm smiling most of the time (I probably really look like some maniacal serial killer but I don't carry a mirror when I'm running so I'm not really sure.....)

This made me think of this:

how-i-look-running.jpg
  • BryVia12
    BryVia12 Posts: 181 Member
    I was walking yesterday and a girl was running right at me, so I gave her a thumbs up and said "good job". She smiled in appreciation. God I'm awesome!
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Here nobody seems to greet others, so I've tried the eye contact thingy a few times but nobody really looks you in the eye long enough for you to even have a chance to smile or frown at them, untl they're gone already. Only place I've seen people acknowledge each other is when sailing. I recognise some runners by their running styles though, so maybe it will come?
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Never bothered me at all. Actually, the friendliness of the complete strangers that would run by me on the trail was one of the few things I enjoyed about running. It always amazed me in that, really the only thing any of these people knew about me, or that I knew about them, is that we were both out there at the same time, but the number of people that were always willing to offer a smile or a head-nod impressed me each time.

That said, I was usually so unhappy about being out there that I probably looked like I was dying and it's altogether possible that any return looks I gave to those people looked more like grimaces than the general smile or nod I was trying to give.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    I like it when people say hi. I say hi back as long as I have the words to do so. I don't always.

However, I do a lot of running with my daughter in the jogging stroller. When I do this, people call out encouraging things and tell me what a good job I'm doing. I find this patronizing. Of course I'm doing a good job! I'm out for a 10 or 12 mile run pushing a 3.5 yearold up and down hills! It's hard! No one ever tells me I'm doing a good job when it's just me and I'm not in a race.
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    I walk at the river walk and I always say "Hi" to runners and walkers. They may not all respond but oh well.
  • I usually make eye contact and smile, and say hi or nod hello if they return it.

I have been known on occasion to high five random strangers who look friendly.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    I greet my fellow runners and I love to be greeted, it's a boost. If I can't speak because I'm timing myself and I'm totally out of breath, I raise my hand and do the runners wave. If I see someone running having a terrible time, head down, I don't bother them with my greetings.
  • Doone33
    Doone33 Posts: 171 Member
    I wave my hand into the air... smile and seldom say hi! Often I am focused on my style or the trail!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,645 Member
    I always say morning or hey, firstly, it's friendly and secondly, that person is more likely to remember me if I get abducted or my mutilated corpse shows up in a ditch.