Complete newbie, need advise PHOTOS INCLUDED

Options
findingfitness101
findingfitness101 Posts: 38
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
okay so I'm new to all this being fitter and healthier so I don't really know what to do. Im 5'7, 139lb and I want to be a bit less than that maybe 130? Possibly 125, depends what looks healthy to me when I get there :D

Currently I eat around 1200 to 1500 cals a day and run 3 times a week (with C25K plan)

Anyway I've attached a few photos to show what my start weight looks like and I dont know whether to keep on losing weight or start to tone up and do strength training or both so if any more knowledgeable people could maybe point me in the right direction that would be great!

Excuse my messy room, just moved house!

http://i42.tinypic.com/33113yb.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/122f21s.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/2hmevy0.jpg

this took massive courage as I normally cover every inch of my body up so please be supportive, if you have something mean to say, please dont.

Replies

• findingfitness101
    Options
    also dont know how to post pictures but I think the links work anyway!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Anyway I've attached a few photos to show what my start weight looks like and I dont know whether to keep on losing weight or start to tone up and do strength training or both so if any more knowledgeable people could maybe point me in the right direction that would be great!

Do all of the above. I'd say that you should start a good strength training program AND keep up the running AND keep slowly chipping away on your body fat. At your size you don't really need to drop that much weight. Focus more on being bad *kitten*, doing great exercises to improve your endurance and strength, and of course continue eating healthy.

Perhaps aim for a half pound of weight loss every week or two but there's no need to do some sort of fast weight loss thing here. Muscle is much harder to gain than it is to lose fat so get working on that now. With the right amount of effort you'll find that you're gaining muscle, looking better and sneaking up on your goal appearance. Keep the scale as measurement of nutrition but you need to start worrying more about body fat and composition than actual weight. You're too close to just focus on pounds.
  • findingfitness101
    Options
    thank you :-) did you look at the photos? I dont know if the links work xD

How do I start strength training? I dont think I can lift much at all if im honest and I know lifting 10 - 20kg won't do much...
    What areas should I focus on?

also I think my body fat % is around 19.7?
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    "Lifting heavy" simply means lifting heavy for you. If that's all you can lift, then lift it. Everyone starts somewhere. You really don't look like "losing weight" should be the goal, so I'd agree that lifting is the way to go.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    To start with read this:

http://4chanfit.wikia.com/wiki/Harsh's_Worksheet_(WIP)

Yes, all of it. There's more useful information packed in this page than you can imagine. There's a section that gives some suggestions about what strength programs to start. You don't need to be able to life much. This is all relative to you and your strength. You want to challenge your body and give it the stimulus to get better. That means work. Do what's difficult for you and your body will compensate for it and you'll look better and be better.
  • sanalupe
    sanalupe Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If I would have that body, I would aim for tone up, not for weight loss.
    But it is up to you really.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    The links do work and I am glad you are only looking to lose a few pounds because you don't look like you have a lot you need to lose.

I would say that toning muscles might be the way to go for you but I can't advise you there because I don't think I have had a toned muscle in my life

Sure you will be pointed in the right direction by someone
  • findingfitness101
    Options
    Thanks everyone and thank you for that link, it was really useful :-)

Just would like some guidance towards starting out with strength and lifting now, I was thinking of buying some dumbbells but I dont know if thats the right way to go
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    To start with read this:

http://4chanfit.wikia.com/wiki/Harsh's_Worksheet_(WIP)

Yes, all of it. There's more useful information packed in this page than you can imagine. There's a section that gives some suggestions about what strength programs to start. You don't need to be able to life much. This is all relative to you and your strength. You want to challenge your body and give it the stimulus to get better. That means work. Do what's difficult for you and your body will compensate for it and you'll look better and be better.

This.
  • findingfitness101
    Options
    Im thinking of doing the 30 day shred if thats in the right direction?
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    okay so I'm new to all this being fitter and healthier so I don't really know what to do. Im 5'7, 139lb and I want to be a bit less than that maybe 130? Possibly 125, depends what looks healthy to me when I get there :D

Currently I eat around 1200 to 1500 cals a day and run 3 times a week (with C25K plan)

Excuse my messy room, just moved house!

33113yb.jpg

122f21s.jpg

2hmevy0.jpg

this took massive courage as I normally cover every inch of my body up so please be supportive, if you have something mean to say, please dont.

add [ IMG ] in front of link and [ /IMG] with lowercase letters and no spaces :)
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    also, great job so far. I would shoot for some strength training. :smile:
  • findingfitness101
    Options
    thank you!
This discussion has been closed.