is it too good to be true?

I was swimming breaststroke 60 minutes, did stop fro a minute or 2 break, otherwise moderate pace. All indications are taht I burned 800-850 calories according to different sources. Does yhis sound correct?

Replies

• poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    any swimmers???
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    How old are you?
    How tall are you?
    How much do you weigh?
    What do you consider a moderate pace? (e.g. how many laps did you get in during that time?)

All of these are vital factors in calculating amount of calories burned for an individual.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    .I entered all of that data when I looked at charts. I did not count laps The pace was medium, I do not need an exact measure just an estimate. 5'9 180lbs
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    the breast stroke is a pretty easy stroke, but honestly, i find it a little hard to believe that you swam for almost a whole hour without stopping for more than two minutes.

that being said, yes, if you did go for 60 minutes continuously, that sounds like a pretty accurate calorie burn.
  • It sounds a little on the high side for swimming to be honest. I swam 50 minutes non stop today front crawl and burned 335 cals. The reading on my garmin swim watch was 20 calories less so I went with that.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    the breast stroke is a pretty easy stroke, but honestly, i find it a little hard to believe that you swam for almost a whole hour without stopping for more than two minutes.

that being said, yes, if you did go for 60 minutes continuously, that sounds like a pretty accurate calorie burn.
    wether you find it hard to believe or not, I did. I do the elliptical at the gym for an hour of intervals at level 9-11 and have been for almost a year, so I am cardio fit. When I used to start out swimming I could go maybe 10 minutes straight. I stopped twice to gulp some water, so maybe less than 2 minutes if being picky
  • poohpoohpeapod
    :noway: I have nio idea, I think 850 sounds crazy, I am going with 450.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Use an hrm, counts here are off.