Saying "hi" while running - okay or not?

Replies

• Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    I'm a quiet person. If someone says hi, I will respond. I don't usually initiate.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    I love it when someone says hi! But I can be shy, and sometimes hanging out of my *kitten* so you'll just get a grunt... or if my headphones are in and im focussed on the running or an obstacle a head or something else like a dilemma at work im running through my head as i run, then i unfortunately may not notice "you" and so you may not get an acknowledgment or you catch a face that says I'm irritated at you, when really I'm baffled by something entirely different I'm thinking of, such as number crunching my pace or something! Stay friendly unless someone specific says something to you about not saying hi! I always say hi to walkers and smile at other runners if i have the capacity to do so!!!
  • monchandler
    monchandler Posts: 25 Member
    LOL...from the South too...everyone "most" of the times says a quick hello!! If someone doesn't make eye contact I do not say anything, but feel strange to pass someone on a path and not greet...I feel a bit rude...lol!!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    I am not a runner, but I run on the weekends for fun. I don't know the do's and don'ts of the running community. So here's the thing...

I run through a residential neighborhood and I like to greet people I pass when I run. Just a quick "good morning" or the like. Most people happily reply, but some runners seem really irritated. I would understand if I was running on a crowded public track, but in the neighborhood there are very few people out, and I figure they're probably my neighbors, so I want to be friendly.

So, runners, am I supposed to ignore you? Does it bother you when someone greets you under similar circumstances, like running on quiet residential streets?

I'll nod. Sometimes, if someone is really looking good from behind, I'll tell them if I pass them.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    I'm mainly a biker, but I'll greet everyone. I noticed bikers respond more to other bikers, runners respond more to other runners, etc. (Rollerbladers, with your projectile legs of death and destruction - you're on your own!) ...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

People still rollerblade?

I live in Omaha, Nebraska. And yes, we still have 'bladers. Nebraskans are mighty thrifty folk and don't part easily with perfectly good sporting equipment. (Behold the pogoball!) We're a wee bit insulated from modern life a la The Truman Show. While riding the mixed-use trail in town, I passed an older lady rockin' honest-to-god rollerskates whilst wearing a leopard print sportsbra and matching hot pants. I did a quadruple-take and damn near flipped my bike... Shine on, you crazy Xanadu diamond...
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    I grew up roller skating and still have a pair of Reidell custom fit, low boot, five wheel, short blade, inline skates that I like to use to go for a quick skate on any of the local paved trails on.

But it was never a fad for me. I had a pair of skates (quads) put on my feet when I was nine months old and was skating by 10 months old. Skating is as natural as walking to me and its still my absolute favorite form of exercise. Sadly, I injured both of ankles at a young age and wasn't able to make the competitive switch from quads to inclines due to my weakened ankles. (I was the youngest registered speed skater in the US at 18 months). But girls I used to skate against even made the transition from inlines to ice when they first introduced speed skating for ice. And I knew three girls on the US Olympic team the year the sport debuted.

I love when I see roller skaters when I'm out running. Always makes me long for skates on my feet instead of running shoes. heh

Bonus pic: me at age two.
    Jenny2yrs.jpg
  • BigJayUK
    BigJayUK Posts: 63 Member
    I always say 'hi' or raise my hand.
    Its the polite thing to do.....If they choose not to response then so be it.
    When running pass/overtaking fellow runners too, I tend to acknowledge them by raising my hand too
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    I am not a runner, but I run on the weekends for fun. I don't know the do's and don'ts of the running community. So here's the thing...

I run through a residential neighborhood and I like to greet people I pass when I run. Just a quick "good morning" or the like. Most people happily reply, but some runners seem really irritated. I would understand if I was running on a crowded public track, but in the neighborhood there are very few people out, and I figure they're probably my neighbors, so I want to be friendly.

So, runners, am I supposed to ignore you? Does it bother you when someone greets you under similar circumstances, like running on quiet residential streets?

Personally, when I am running, especially if I am doing shorter, speedier runs, I will be out of breath and concentrating, I may not be capable of replying.

Besides which, my runs are my "me" time, it stops me going insane and if I want to spend that "me" time in my own world, then that is what I will do and if that also entails not saying hello to everybody I pass, then so be it. Everybody is entitled to time in their head without worrying about offending another person lol.

Actually, those people that find it rude when runners do not greet each other, do you say hello to everybody you pass when walking down the street or in the shopping mall, I am curious.
  • emelia_
    emelia_ Posts: 91
    I say hi to people that look me in the eyes. I figure if they're too bust looking down to avoid me that they are probably embarrassed and I wont get a response anyways.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    There are three types of runners out there.

The "Hi, how you doing?" Runners. These people will reply back, strike up conversations with anyone, and if they happen upon someone who is doing a good pace for them will even run with complete strangers.

Then, there are the "Dont' look at me, don't touch me, and if you talk to me I will kill you" runners. These people get lost in the zone and don't care about anything but getting that run done. They have a love/hate relationship with running, and are the more sadistic people as in they love the feeling of the pain running gives them....after the run is over.

Finally, there is the middle people. These people don't mind talking with others as they run, but every now and then will have a horrible run. It will be so bad that at times these runners can be mistaken of the sadistic ones.

So don't be offended if you pass by one for the sadistic runners, just their running style.
  • Ann_Marie_2x_MORE
    Ann_Marie_2x_MORE Posts: 68 Member
    I give a friendly nod, or a half wave. My half wave would turning my hand up :)
  • mtfr810
    mtfr810 Posts: 136 Member
    I don't often say hi. It's not that I'm being rude... I'm focusing on getting through the run. I also have headphones on and I usually don't hear people that well as a result. I do raise my hand some or give someone a nod.
  • chrissyreneet
    chrissyreneet Posts: 52 Member
    It depends on how long I've been jogging. In the beginning: a bright "Good Morning!"; in the middle: a smile and a "Hi!" and toward the end: a wave and a grimace.
  • itsfruitcake
    itsfruitcake Posts: 146 Member
    It depends on how long I've been jogging. In the beginning: a bright "Good Morning!"; in the middle: a smile and a "Hi!" and toward the end: a wave and a grimace.

That just made me laugh :D
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Eh. I prefer to not say hi. I get very heavily focused on my workout while I'm doing it and the distraction of being forced to acknowledge other runners and their shallow politeness messes up my rhythm and throws off my pacing. I also highly suspect it has much to do with being introverted and having an innate disgust for shallow and meaningless small talk.

That said, I always have music going and earbuds in, so most people look at me and know I don't want to be bothered, and they act accordingly. That makes it incredibly irritating when people STILL try to communicate with me, and I very much let them know that via facial expressions and tone.

Edited to add: I realize I sound grumpy, but I promise I'm only grumpy when people force verbal communication into my run despite me having the universal sign for "leave me alone" aka the earbuds in. I never mind a smile :).

This. Plus I am from NYC no one says hi while jogging.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    I think it's a regional thing. Here in Oklahoma we all wave or say hi, or whatever really quickly. I was recently visiting in Michigan and did the same thing and got weird looks.
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    I say "hi" when i'm biking on a trail to other cyclists, runners, walkers. The walkers almost always say hi back, the cyclists and runners not so much. I'd estimate it's about 50% yay vs nay. I guess it's because they're Olympic level athletes who are so intense about what they do that wasting .0004 seconds to respond would cost them their big sponsorships, so i totally understand that.

What bugs me more is when other exercisers don't say a simple "thank you" when you move stop your bike & move off the trail for them so they can get by. I just say "you're welcome" regardless.
  • smithed812
    smithed812 Posts: 289
    I like when people say hi/good morning to me! Makes me feel like I'm in some super cool early morning runners club.

Although I will admit when I first started running in the park (and was struggling to breathe) I would find it a bit annoying. All these cheery people smiling and talking to me when I couldn't even get a "hi" out in response!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Honestly, in Florida, I can tell who is from here and who is not by whether they wave and say "hi!"

It does annoy me though sometimes when I'm running and all I want to do is get lost in my thoughts. When I'm with my 3 y.o. though she says "hi" to absolutely everyone we pass, so it's good that we all stay a bit flexible with this I guess.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

Most places that I've lived the most that you'll get is a nod most of the time, I've only had anyone say hi a small handful of times and that surprised me. Similar for cycling, generally a nod.