Curious about six pack abs.

I'm 18, 5'4 and weigh 6stone 8lbs. So basically I'm very skinny. I just changed my diet to 3500calories+ a day. The foods I'm eating consist of peanut butter sandwiches, plenty of milk and plenty of eggs and fruits (and other stuff of course). What I wanted to know was is it absolutely necessary to list weights in order to get a six pack? What if I just had a really good diet? Would that suffice? I'm kind of unlucky because I had a hernia when I was younger so if I lift heavy items, there is a chance it could come back :(. Suppose I was to lift weights but they were only a little heavy to ME? Would that suffice?

What do you guys think? Do I have to lift weights? Do they have to be heavy? Can't I just do push-ups and sit-ups?

Replies

• EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    I'd say you need to be lifting, start light and work your way up you need to really be pushing yourself to get those abs you dream of and sit-ups are over-rated.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    It depends slightly on your genetic make-up but for most people, it does require lifting weights to get a good six-pack.
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Seeing how they are muscles the answer is yes.
  • msunat97
    msunat97 Posts: 511 Member
    You need some lifting to get the muscles to "pop" & have some definition.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Lifting light weights/high rep = cardio and/or waste of time
    Lifting heavy weights/low rep = increase strength
    **Lifting medium weight/medium rep = increased muscle size**

"Lifting heavy" isn't what you do to get bigger. That's how you get stronger which down the line can help you get bigger. If you want your muscle to grow, stick to mainly 8-12 reps with at least 3-5 sets per exercise. When I was just lifting for strength and doing three sets of 5 reps or less I got really strong really quickly but had very minimal size gains. When I switched to 5x10 I got a lot bigger very quickly. Ideally you'd want to do some heavy/low rep stuff but mainly med weight/med rep stuff.
  • czrewor
    czrewor Posts: 32 Member
    Try weighted situps, like holding kettlebe or medicine ball while doing it
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Six packs has everything to do with your diet and genetics.

If you want to do exercises that will help define them, I suggest you do it the fun way and find a partner that can share you high-intense repetitions while keeping you diet on point. ;)
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member

"Lifting heavy" isn't what you do to get bigger. That's how you get stronger which down the line can help you get bigger. If you want your muscle to grow, stick to mainly 8-12 reps with at least 3-5 sets per exercise. When I was just lifting for strength and doing three sets of 5 reps or less I got really strong really quickly but had very minimal size gains. When I switched to 5x10 I got a lot bigger very quickly. Ideally you'd want to do some heavy/low rep stuff but mainly med weight/med rep stuff.

Very much agree. Get on a beginner strength program like starting strength to build a good base of strength and then switch to a higher volume program. Diet and eating a surplus is going to be key.

The other option is to just start on a higher rep/volume program but with lighter weight your gains may be limited. Either way, find a good solid program, start lifting x weight for y amount of reps. Then next time make sure x is a higher number than the last time. Do this many times and eat for gaining and you will grow
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member

Very much agree. Get on a beginner strength program like starting strength to build a good base of strength and then switch to a higher volume program. Diet and eating a surplus is going to be key.

The other option is to just start on a higher rep/volume program but with lighter weight your gains may be limited. Either way, find a good solid program, start lifting x weight for y amount of reps. Then next time make sure x is a higher number than the last time. Do this many times and eat for gaining and you will grow

My abs didn't pop till I started doing this. Totally agree.
  • fishnbrah
    fishnbrah Posts: 550
    abs are made in the kitchen. everyone knows that.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    I have a six pack and never lifted weights.

From what I know, you need low body fat (which I think you are saying you have) and you need to strengthen those muscles.
    Heavy lifting is great, but I don't think it's necessary.

If you are already lean, try incorporating some core work into your routine.. planks (front, side), bicycles, leg lifts, and as much as some people hate them, some crunches may not be bad in this case. But you need to remember that building muscles requires fuel, so you can't be eating at a huge deficit.

Expect to gain some weight if you want to gain some muscle. (But don't use that as a license to go crazy... muscle weight takes time)

If you are overweight, then yes the "abs are made in the kitchen" rule is very true. If you are already lean, then not so much.
  • cst573
    cst573 Posts: 103 Member
    I have a six pack and never lifted weights.

From what I know, you need low body fat (which I think you are saying you have) and you need to strengthen those muscles.
    Heavy lifting is great, but I don't think it's necessary.

If you are already lean, try incorporating some core work into your routine.. planks (front, side), bicycles, leg lifts, and as much as some people hate them, some crunches may not be bad in this case. But you need to remember that building muscles requires fuel, so you can't be eating at a huge deficit.

Expect to gain some weight if you want to gain some muscle. (But don't use that as a license to go crazy... muscle weight takes time)

If you are overweight, then yes the "abs are made in the kitchen" rule is very true. If you are already lean, then not so much.

^^Agreed^^
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    It's like asking if you can get good legs without training them.. No, you can't.. You'd need to train them to look half decent :) Diet comes into play only when You're looking to gain or lose weight which would ultimately result in definition