If you are using a Body Media / Jawbone / Fitbit / Fuel Band

2»

Replies

• jooonesy
    jooonesy Posts: 86 Member
    Device: Fitbit One
    Daily Average Burn: 1900 calories
    Workout schedule: 2-3 days of running, 1-2 days of Pilates, 1 day of Yoga, 1 day of Kettlebell/Tabata training
    Height: 5'3"
    Weight: 133

Is your weight/body composition trend indicating accuracy of the device? I believe so. Most days when I'm not as active as I should be, the Fitbit says my caloric burn is about 1700 calories. And on days when I'm really active (like if I do Pilates and Kettlebell class on the same day, I can go upwards of 2300 calories).
  • terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Device: Body Media Fit Link
    Daily Average Burn: 2760
    Workout schedule: Nia Shanks bodyweight workouts twice a week, kayaking up to 5 times a week for an hour each time, plus one day of a longer ride (from 2 to 3 hours duration)
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: 162

Is your weight/body composition trend indicating accuracy of the device? I've been eating 2000 calories a day since December, because back then my average daily burn was around 2500. When I first got the device I ate at that level and lost a couple of pounds. I've been in a serious plateau slump since then. Weight has fluctuated from 165 back down to 162 but doesn't move anywhere else. The kayaking is new since April and I'm naturally more active outside in the spring, summer, and fall. So I started eating at around 2500 calories per day last week (trying to focus on a 200 calorie a day deficit). Surprisingly, my weight didn't balloon. I still weigh 162. No change in measurements. But my energy level and sleep pattern are much better. Hopefully things will start to move downward - but in the meantime I'm enjoying the process.
  • julieager75
    julieager75 Posts: 61 Member
    Bump
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Bumpity :)
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Device: FitBit One
    Daily Average Burn: 2086
    Workout schedule: It varies... probably two or three of those days I'm doing an exercise video (anywhere from 20-45 minutes) and the rest walking anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour and a half. Some days both walking and an exercise video.
    Height: 5'4"
    Weight: 147

For the record I don't separately log the exercises that are not primarily step-based.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Thanks for everyone's responses. I think more people are curious... I just wanted a place for all this info if anyone searches.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Thanks for everyone's responses. I think more people are curious... I just wanted a place for all this info if anyone searches.

bwhahahahahahahha
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Device: BodyMedia Link
    Daily Average Burn: 2400 (This is down from about 2700 when I first started using BMF)
    Workout schedule: 3 (sometimes 4) times a week doing a half hour video (like 30 dayShred or Supreme90Day) followed by a run of about 3-4 miles or less.
    Gender Female
    Age 45
    Weight 157 currently. I started losing at 196 in late December.

Is your weight/body composition trend indicating accuracy of the device?
    Yes, It has been working for me. I set a goal of weight loss of 1.5 pounds a week starting in mid January. My original goal was to get to 160 by the end of May. I did that and reached my goal date and weight, with an average loss of 1.54 pounds a week. Once I reached that goal I made a new goal of getting to 150 pounds by losing 1.0 pound a week.

I'm finding it a bit harder as time goes on because I burn much less calories at my new weight, but so far, so good. My current settings are 2200 calories burned and 1700 calories consumed. I find it difficult to reach the 2200 calories burned on the days I don't exercise.

I should probably mention that at least one day a week I eat around 2000 calories. Over the week I still will hit my average deficit. I've done this from the beginning.

Trends I've noticed for myself--- If I start a new exercise program, I'll gain or not lose for several days up to a couple of weeks and then I'll have a big weight loss. If I eat out and BMF complains to me about my sodium in take, I'll gain weight for a couple of days, then I'll have a big weight loss.

Wow, this was VERY helpful information. Thank you for all the details. This explains so much! :)
  • danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    bump for reference. planning to purchase one soon!
  • itstheamarie
    itstheamarie Posts: 12 Member
    If you are using a device that measures all-day burn, could you please post the following?

Device: Body Media Link
    Daily Average Burn: 2,250 (avg 1,750 intake) My fitbit is always ~10% lower, esp on lifting days
    Workout schedule: Strength: 3X/wk & intervals, jogging, or bike riding 2-3x/wk. A lot of sitting during the day. I see my best burns on days with high NEAT
    Weight: 184 (down from 222 in Jan)

Is your weight/body composition trend indicating accuracy of the device? When I was doing a higher deficit, I was losing slower. Since I bumped up my cals to a 500-700 cal/day deficit, my numbers have matched up a lot closer. Keep in mind I was on a VLCD for a couple months, and I haven't done a reset yet, so my metabolism could still be suppressed. body fat % down about 1% this month also.

Past month: Avg deficit= 500 cal/day, so 4 lbs calculated, and I have actually lost 3-4 lbs, depending on where I mark the weight since it varies +/- 1 day to day. Lesson learned: I lost LESS on a HIGHER deficit.
  • frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Bump. Fitbit Flex on b/o until July.
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    If you are using a device that measures all-day burn, could you please post the following?

Device: Fitbit Ultra
    Daily Average Burn: Around 2100 a day
    Workout schedule: Strength: 3X/wk, Jogging or cardio (interval) DVD 2x a week, walk to and from work M-F (about 40 min total)
    Weight: 156
    Height: 5'3

Is your weight/body composition trend indicating accuracy of the device? Yes I think so. I typically try to eat at a 17% deficit daily so around 1700 calories, but I've stalled out big time and am not really sure where to go from here... up closer to TDEE or down another 100 calories. Have to experiment.
  • Labouffecestbon
    Labouffecestbon Posts: 182 Member
    Bumpity bump
  • wnramirez77
    wnramirez77 Posts: 4 Member
    Interesting
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Device: Fitbit Zip
    Daily Average Burn: 2384lbs (Aug 1 - 26)
    Workout schedule: Aim to walk at least 3 miles daily is the only exercise that is consistent, the rest is really random right now
    Weight : 176.2lbs

This past month it has been pretty darn close to being accurate. Walking has been my form of exercise this past month. In previous months where I was more consistent with workouts like EA Active 2.0, Dance Central 2, and Gold's gym cardio workout, it was actually underestimating my calorie burn by quite a bit.

From Aug 1 - Aug 26:
    Total Burn: 61996
    Total Deficit: 14354 (AVG of about 552 cals per day)
    So based on that total loss should be approximately 4.1 lbs
    Total Loss for this time frame: 4.7lbs
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Device: Bodymedia Link
    Daily Average Burn: 2806 (ranges from 1900-3700)
    Workout schedule: Run and/or bike 5-6 times/week, free weights 2 days/week
    Weight: 155-ish

Well, yes and no. I have been consuming an average of 500 calories less than the armband says I burn, but have maintained for the last 3 months (or as it's called on the forums-keep gaining and losing the same 5 lbs). But, my activity level (and daily burns) are so varied, that I do feel the device is accurately capturing that. I just think it's measuring 10-15% high for me. I do weigh & measure my food-although it's also possible that some of the discrepancy comes from my side (I eat the same things all the time-so if I'm messing up weighing/measuring, it will be consistent). So, yes, I think it's accurate as it does seem list calorie burns that correlate with my activity level, but the actual number seems a touch high for me. I have recently (in the last week) increased my deficit goal to 750-1000, so we shall see how that works.

Overall, I love my bodymedia armband and wouldn't consider giving it up. But like everything, I just need to find what works. I'm down to my last 10 or so lbs (maybe), so I expect these to be the most difficult to lose. It's just a matter of finding what IS a deficit, and one I can actually stick to. I consider the armband to be one tool in my arsenal, and a huge motivator to be more active in daily life (eg parking further from the store kind of stuff). The huge difference in overall daily burn isn't from "exercise" and workouts, it's from being more active in general daily activities. The armband really helps to see that and encourage that activity.