making time for work outs

This would mainly apply for those with young kids at home. How does everyone find time to work out, play with the kids, and still work. I work about 55hrs a week and already feel as if I don't get enough time with my kids (4yr old and 9 month old). If I decide to ride the bike or run after work I feel guilty for not coming home right after work to spend time with my girls, on the flip side I feel guilty if I don't work out. I get in about 15 minutes during my lunch break now to get some exercise, but its not enough. I leave the house at 6:45am and get home by 7pm if I don't stop and work out.
Anyone else in this same situation ? When does everyone squeeze in work outs ?

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    not in the same situation, but I just make sure I'm up and at the gym at 5AM. That way, I get my workout out of the way before the rest of "life" kicks in.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Maybe squeeze in half an hour before or after you get home from work? If you work out at home or go for a jog in the neighborhood you'll only lose half an hour with them since there won't be travel time to and from a gym.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Im fortunate enough that I get time on my lunch to work out. My boss even gives me extra time to shower and eat!

If I cant do it at lunch time, I do it when my son is in bed and I do a fitness DVD if my husband isnt in.

Unfortunately, life sometimes makes it hard to work out. You just got to do your best and try and find that balance.
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    when I had kids at home, I got up an hour early to get my workout in before everyone else got up. It was really hard to do that at first and it took about 3 months for me to get used to it but it was the ONLY way for me.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Could you come home, see your kids, put them to bed, then go work out?

My kids are 2 and 4 and when they're being good, they're in bed by 7:30, sometimes earlier.

I'm luckier than you with time to workout as I work part time, plus as a teacher I finish work early anyway, and I get lots of holidays. My husband does shift work too, which in a way makes it easier as he can watch the kids while I go to the gym.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    A fellow MFPer pointed me to this article. Read it.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/26/priorities/
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Me, Me, Me. 40 hour work week, plus commute, plus second job. 4 and 6 year old.

I'm a night owl, but the only way I could get consistency is an AM workout. I'm getting more use to it, but I know it will be harder when the bed is warm and the room is cold. I prefer night but like you, I can't take what little time from them, and one has sleep issues so he's often awake until 10. Doing a workout then is just too late for me.

I'm starting T25 on the 9th. Its 25 minutes a day. I'm looking forward to the timing of it versus my sometimes one hour workout.

I'm also doing a facebook group for encouragment for this program, so friend and message me if you'd like to know more.

Our time is so limited with our little ones. Its hard when we are pulled in so many directions but I find I feel so much better when I get a workout in. This was Never me until the last two years, and I've just started the morning thing this year. I'm not perfect but getting better on not hitting snooze too much!

Your kids are at fun ages too.
    Nancy
  • JDMarlowe
    JDMarlowe Posts: 327 Member
    I''m in the same boat. I work as a 911 dispatcher and have a 6 month old daughter. My work hours are crazy. My wife is a paramedic and works 24 hour shifts, so it is very hard to make it to the gym. I dont want to compromise time with my daughter, we have waited 10 years to be blessed with a child, so the time is VERY important to me.
    I just try to be as active as possible. Bought home gym stuff (treadmill, BowFlex tread climber, some free weights, exercise ball, pull up bar, etc) and use them at home while my daughter is napping or something. I am still a memeber of my gym for the times when I can sneak away.
    But I totally understand feeling guilty for giving up time with either...
  • I treat my workouts as part of my job. But much more fun than actual work. I get up early and do my workout or wait till my daughter gets on the bus then I workout before I have to go to work. Have you tried incorporating your kids in with your workouts? Do you do workouts at home or do you go to a gym? I find that doing in home workouts are the best because then I am at least still at home with my kid and she sometimes joins me. If she doesn't at least she knows I am around. So I don't feel like I'm not spending time with her. I also think that I have to take care of myself. If I don't work out then I'm not going to feel good to take care of my daughter. It's like a circle. :) But DON"T EVER feel guilty for doing something for you!!!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    I have a 12 year old and a 4 year old. I leave the house around 7 and get home around 5:15. I get up at 4:30 and workout. My husband gets up at 4 and leaves for the gym at 4:40. He comes home to pick me up, and we're on our way to the daycare by 7. I also try to get in a run on Saturday or Sunday at some point.
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Maybe you can combine playing with the kids and working out? I have 4 year old twin boys and you'd think they'd play by themselves while I get on the elliptical machine, but they don't. So when the weather's nice, I take them to a park and we run around, play baseball, play soccer, etc. Or if they are on a playground, I'll take a brisk walk circling the playground so I still have an eye on them. Do you have a jogging stroller for the 9month old? or a baby carrier, like a baby bjorn? You could get a really good workout if you walk fast carrying an extra 20 lb baby.:-)
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Why not make your exercise something you can do with your kids? Put the youngest in a stroller, have your 4 year old ride a bike if they have one and go for a walk or a jog. Or go play in the park? If you have someone to watch the youngest, or if the baby is down for a nap what about playing tag or hide and seek with your 4 year old? It may not be a huge workout but it's something. Go for a family walk after dinner... or have dinner in a slow cooker and go for one when you get home.

If you can get 15 mins in while at work what about either getting up a bit earlier to do a bit of a workout or do a quick one after work? Throw on a workout video while dinner cooks for example. Or maybe look into getting an inexpensive treadmill, elliptical or stationary bike. That way you can use it while they watch a show, nap, while dinner is cooking, just after the kids go to bed, etc.
  • chineyLuv
    chineyLuv Posts: 130 Member
    I usually workout at home after the kids have gone to bed, or just do it as soon as I reach home, and my littlest one tries to join me in my workout.
    I'd love to do it before work, but I already have enough trouble waking up on time to make it to work....NOT a morning person!
  • Thanks for all the advice ! Im going to have to just get up earlier and hit the gym or treadmill before the morning routine starts. I get some exercise with when playing tag and hide and go seek and swimming but I guess I never really considered that much of a work out. I found a 24hr gym near by so Im going to contact them. Every little bit counts though.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    I have a soon-to-be 5 year old. I get up at 5AM and I walk 3.5 miles before she's awake. If I want swimming, I take her with me to the gym, and put her in the drop-off babysitting. I get an hour of free babysitting with my membership. Works fantastic. When she starts preschool in 2 weeks (at the YMCA), I have 3 hours 3x a week for the rest of the school year to take advantage of the gym/pool facilities and/or walk the trail that's not too far from it. That's 3 hours I can focus on ME!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Kids are asleep at 5am. There's your time slot.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Not exact same situation, but I also have young kids (aged 6 and 9) with all sorts of after school activities, plus I manage the house and work 25 hours a week. I used to wait for my husband to come home from work so he could watch the kids and I'd go to the gym. I'd leave dinner prepared for the three of them, go work out around 6 pm, then come home, shower, eat my dinner around 9 pm, and fall into bed exhausted. I had no time to hang out with my family or just chill and after several months of this I started to burn out.

I decided to start getting up earlier. It's not ideal -- I'm not a morning person! I've been getting up at 5:45 and working out in my home gym (treadmill, free weights, DVDs) before the kids get up. I'm about to up my work hours to full time, so here's how my schedule is going to go:

5:45 get up
    6 - 6:30 run on treadmill (at home)
    6:30 - 7 shower, dress
    7 - 8 get kids up, fed, dressed, off to school, etc.
    9 - 12 work
    12 - 1 go to gym near office, lift weights, take a class (can't do this every day -- meetings, deadlines, etc. -- but my goal is to try at least twice a week)
    1 - 6 work
    7 - 11 RELAX WITH FAMILY

This new and revised schedule goes into effect next week. Basically, you have to do it when everyone else is asleep or otherwise occupied.

edited to add: I bike a lot on weekends. I find that if I take the kids with me I don't really get a workout, but if I get up super early I can go for a nice long ride and be back by the time the kids are getting up (8-ish). Of course this will change when the days get shorter and colder. hmmm....
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    I make it a priority to work out first thing in the morning before the day's demands and distractions get in the way.
  • glamasjr
    glamasjr Posts: 31 Member
    I'm in the med field, I travel A LOT for work and put in 14-16 hour days on average. Plus I'm a student, a father and a husband. I work out 25-30 minutes a day, and it has to be intense not easy. Let's be friends and I WILL help you out.
  • evileyefirefly
    evileyefirefly Posts: 104 Member
    I'm fortunite as I get time to workout during work hours, but It hasn't always been that way. But my current schedule works with either situation. I have 3 boys (7, 8, 12) so I know how it can be trying to distribute time to family and yourself. I have had to move my workouts to the mornings (6-7ish), and I usually workout by my office. I am not a morning person and I have a hate-hate relationship with my alarm clock, but I have found this is the best way for me to get everything in that I need to in a day.