What is the best exercise program to support weight loss?

kalinkacs
kalinkacs Posts: 11 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I started to biking and walk very fast on my trade mill. However, besides that, what would be the best program to stick with? My husband does insanity, but I am for some reason not the biggest fan. Any suggestions? Thank you

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    For simple scale weight loss? Doesn't matter too much. Probably moderate-intensity cardio of whatever variety you like.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Something you can stick to. Some form of resistance training is nice, to help preserve muscle mass, but you don't need anything super intense.
  • NesiaAmador
    NesiaAmador Posts: 10 Member
    T25 is awesome to lose weight and tone up! Im currently doing it with shakeology and its doing amazing for me!! :)
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    table pushaways.
    extreme food weighing and logging.
    kipping deficits.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Something that you enjoy SO MUCH that you will want to do it every day! Or as close to that as you can get. Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit, and you can get that by moving more and eating less. But the more you move, the more you can eat while maintaining a deficit. You don't need a program, but if you're like me and love a schedule, by all means get one! Don't rule out the importance of general activity, either. Clean your house often, walk anywhere you can, spend less time sitting and more time moving. Exercising for 30 minutes or even an hour a day is great, but if you're sedentary for the other 23, you're missing out on a great opportunity to burn calories and improve your health.
  • Dunkelheit666
    Dunkelheit666 Posts: 223 Member
    lose youre husband! thats like 200 lbs right there! :)
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Cooking.
  • Wilbur_NOLA
    Wilbur_NOLA Posts: 120 Member
    HIIT Training > Steady State Cardio
  • jacksonpt

How so?
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    I love Jillian Michaels "30 Day Shred" and "Ripped in 30" DVDs - Here's why:

- Cheap ($10 each at Wal-Mart)
    - Effective (Lost 26 lbs in 3 months doing them and dieting using MFP, plus they've helped me strengthen & build muscles I didn't even know I had!)
    - Need very little equipment (a set of 5 lb hand weights and maybe a set of 8 lbs)
    - Workouts are only 25 minutes long! (In 25 minutes she manages to pack a sweat dripping, muscle aching workout that you will love!)

My hubby does P90X, and I have tried that, but I feel this is just as effective for me in half the workout time. Hope it works for you too!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I started to biking and walk very fast on my trade mill. However, besides that, what would be the best program to stick with? My husband does insanity, but I am for some reason not the biggest fan. Any suggestions? Thank you

Exercise (fitness) is a lifestyle change as well. Do the exercise you will do for the rest of your life.

Ideally you will be doing cardio for your heart & endurance ..... and resistance training for muscles & bones as well. If you haven't found a resistance training program that piques your interest .... keep looking. It's worth it. It can be weight bearing, like pilates.

Muscle mass & strength is something that we tend to lose gradually over time. Use it or lose it.
  • Wilbur_NOLA
    Wilbur_NOLA Posts: 120 Member

How so?

You can burn more calories in a shorter period of time (among other benefits). Not saying steady state is not beneficial, but I just prefer to get more done in less time.

http://www.muscleforlife.com/high-intensity-interval-training-and-weight-loss/
  • Breena_Bean5
    Breena_Bean5 Posts: 105 Member
    I do two workouts a day. I mix up between Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and her Ripped In 30 dvds. It's tough, but I push through. I don't do the same level though. For example, in the morning I do 30DS Level 2 and then in the late afternoon/evening I do Ripped In 30 Level 1. I just flip flop those day by day. A mix of cardio and strength is the KEY to weight loss and muscle toning.

28530216.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jacksonpt

How so?

You can burn more calories in a shorter period of time (among other benefits). Not saying steady state is not beneficial, but I just prefer to get more done in less time.

ok, so what you meant to say, then, was HIIT > steady state cardio, all other things remaining equal. But even that I might argue with.

I could argue that 90 minutes of steady state running is better than 20 minutes of HIIT. I could argue that no exercise is better than any exercise.

My point is only that you should have given your statement some context/support. To make a blanket statement like that is, at the very least, incomplete, and worst case wrong.

Doing an hour of HIIT after fasting for 12 hours may end up having detrimental effect on body composition. Now, who's doing a hour of HIIT? And who's doing it fasted? Probably no one. But people who don't know the context can easily mis-interpret your statement then wrongly apply it to their situation.

*steps down off soap box*
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member

How so?

ok, so what you meant to say, then, was HIIT > steady state cardio, all other things remaining equal.

Because I could argue that 90 minutes of steady state running is better than 20 minutes of HIIT.

And you can recovery from 90 minutes of steady state cardio in a shorter amount of time than properly done HIIT.

OP in essence there is more than one way to skin a cat. Find something you ENJOY doing and make it work. They say "abs are made in the kitchen" and it's true. Fat loss happens mostly due to the discipline you show when it comes to your diet.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    I've heard the program by Les Mills is good. I've done (still doing) P90X, RushfFit, and Insanity.
  • rose228822
    rose228822 Posts: 186 Member

I have been doing the treadmill, elliptical and stair master but found that I didn't start losing inches until I started weight lifting and also the 30 DS...good luck.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Whatever you're able to do sustainably. But regardless of your training regimen, you will lose no weight unless you're in a calorie deficit.
  • Hannah_Hopes
    Hannah_Hopes Posts: 273 Member
    I've just discovered 30 Day Shred (online videos) and Love it but I love circuit training so it depends what type of exercise you like to do :smile:
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    OP in essence there is more than one way to skin a cat. Find something you ENJOY doing and make it work. They say "abs are made in the kitchen" and it's true. Fat loss happens mostly due to the discipline you show when it comes to your diet.

This
This discussion has been closed.