Tamamoro...who has had them?

Hey guys. Every grocery day I try to buy something new to try. This week it was a "Tamamoro. Problem is, know NOTHING about it. Like, do i eat the peel? What level of ripeness is best? Is it better cooked or raw? What does it taste like? I did try to Goggle/YouTube it, but got nowhere. Its also not in the calorie database on MFP, so i have no idea on serving size or calories per serving. Can anyone give some info?? Thanks :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Can you post a picture?
  • pennyscabin
    pennyscabin Posts: 28 Member
    Huh???...LOL!
  • Jokenmit
    Jokenmit Posts: 80 Member
    LOL...another thing I have never been able to figure out is how to post a picture on a message board.

Will describe it best I can. Approx size of a large Kiwi, dark purple skin with a red blush. Skin seems similar to a tomato in texture. Fruit on the inside is soft and juicy, yellowish in colour with a ring of seeds....again similar to a kiwi. Its grown in the Caribbean (at least thats what the sticker on it says).
  • Jokenmit
    LOL...another thing I have never been able to figure out is how to post a picture on a message board.

Will describe it best I can. Approx size of a large Kiwi,and its shaped like a cherry pepper. dark reddish skin with a purple blush. Skin seems similar to a tomato in texture. Fruit on the inside is soft and juicy, yellowish in colour with a ring of seeds....again similar to a kiwi. Its grown in the Caribbean (at least thats what the sticker on it says).
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member

Will describe it best I can. Approx size of a large Kiwi, dark purple skin with a red blush. Skin seems similar to a tomato in texture. Fruit on the inside is soft and juicy, yellowish in colour with a ring of seeds....again similar to a kiwi. Its grown in the Caribbean (at least thats what the sticker on it says).

I'm from the Caribbean and I haven't got a clue what that is :laugh:
  • Jokenmit

THAT`S IT!! Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    :drinker:
  • Tamamoro are my favourite fruit in all the world. They are impossible to peel unless they are very ripe, wrinkly, and dark red. Then, cut the stem off, make a small incision with a knife if some skin sticks to the fruit but it should peel right off. The outside of the fruit is moist not wet or sticky. The fruit tastes bitter like chocolate to sour/tangy. The seeds and inner fruit may taste like sweet wine if some fermentation has undergone, otherwise, mildly sweet sometimes sour too sometimes a bit melony. I often put several fist sized Tamamoro into my ninja blender with a litre of Chapman's sugar free chocolate ice cream. Truly, it is heaven on earth. Many people can only stand the seeds but Tamamoro are an excellent low sugar dessert fruit. Most of us have gotten into the unneccessary habit of needing overly sweet foods. Luckily we can always retrain our palat if we really care to, by eating only what is good for our bodies.