I want mad mass

Options
This is also posted in the fitness section, but was told I should post it here as well.

I want to put on as much muscle possible before the spring. I have 6 months to put on this mass. For those of you that have bulked what kind of routine did you do and what was your diet like? I wouldn’t mind putting on a good 10lbs of muscle (yes I know I’m bound to gain BF as well). Thanks for any help.

Replies

• K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Check out that thread the guy posted about his VAIN pics. He got most of his mass from powerlifting. When I was lifting heavy doing things in a powerlifting kind of way is when I got the most mass as well. I had no clue about eating back then so I still had great gains drinking tons of coke (like a 12 pack a day) and not eating nearly enough protein like I do now.

The thing that sucked for me the most about it was that although I could run into a brick wall and not get hurt and block 300lb defensive lineman with no problems I could barely sprint 100 yards without feeling like I was going to have a heart attack. So I guess there was a trade off. LOL
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Check out the Eat, Train, Progress group if you haven't already. Lots of great information in there. I consider the creators of this group to be highly knowledgeable and they have done the work themselves. It's also just a great group to be a part of.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Strength train and eat a consistent moderate calorie surplus.

There really isn't more to it than that.

Where people go wrong:

- Not strength training; even if you are lifting weights, if you aren't getting stronger, you aren't getting bigger. Strength training doesn't necessarily require weights though, there are effective bodyweight strengh programs (I don't lift weights). Either way, you must always be getting stronger.

- Eating too little in fear of getting fat.

- Not being consistent with their surplus. Bulking is hard, harder than cutting for most people. Forcing yourself to eat when full is hard to do, and even harder to do regularly.

- Going overboard and eating way too many calories. The easiest way to do this is with massive overconsumption of large amounts of whole milk (liquid cals are less filling than solid cals).
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I thought this said "mad *kitten*" for a second and am somehow really disappointed, even though I have no idea what that is.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I thought this said "mad *kitten*" for a second and am somehow really disappointed, even though I have no idea what that is.
    Mad *kitten* would be achieved by squatting and dead lifting. Also, y u so hungry? You should probably eat more before you get hangry.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    10 lbs of muscle in 6 months on a female?

You'll need some supplements that we can't discuss on MFP.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I have 6 months to put on this mass.

[...]

I wouldn’t mind putting on a good 10lbs of muscle

Start by setting more realistic goals — 3 to 6 pounds of actual muscle is about as much as you're going to get in 6 months without gear. The rule of thumb is between .5 and 1 pound a month max, and that's assuming your nutrition, exercise and sleep are on point. Your body can't physically make more muscle than that (again, unless you gear up.)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    catholic?
  • IronCakes
    IronCakes Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    10 lbs of muscle in 6 months on a female?

You'll need some supplements that we can't discuss on MFP.
    I don't want gear, obviously 10 lbs for a woman is a bit much.

I have 6 months to put on this mass.

[...]

I wouldn’t mind putting on a good 10lbs of muscle

Start by setting more realistic goals — 3 to 6 pounds of actual muscle is about as much as you're going to get in 6 months without gear. The rule of thumb is between .5 and 1 pound a month max, and that's assuming your nutrition, exercise and sleep are on point. Your body can't physically make more muscle than that (again, unless you gear up.)
    Thanks, I guess I will set me goal a little lower then. But all together I can probably expect to gain 10 lbs total. I dobut I'm going to be able to do a 100% clean bulk so a couple extra lbs is bound to happen.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Check out the program Body Beast.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Mad *kitten* would be achieved by squatting and dead lifting. Also, y u so hungry? You should probably eat more before you get hangry.

I'm one of those perpetually hungry people that eats nonstop. But it's almost time for breakfast so I'll temporarily be less hungry.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Strength train and eat a consistent moderate calorie surplus.

There really isn't more to it than that.

Where people go wrong:

- Not strength training; even if you are lifting weights, if you aren't getting stronger, you aren't getting bigger. Strength training doesn't necessarily require weights though, there are effective bodyweight strengh programs (I don't lift weights). Either way, you must always be getting stronger.

- Eating too little in fear of getting fat.

- Not being consistent with their surplus. Bulking is hard, harder than cutting for most people. Forcing yourself to eat when full is hard to do, and even harder to do regularly.

- Going overboard and eating way too many calories. The easiest way to do this is with massive overconsumption of large amounts of whole milk (liquid cals are less filling than solid cals).

all of this is pretty excellent.
    I've made all of those mistakes at one point or another. from eating too little, to eating anything to make the scale move.
    moderation and consistency.
  • jbgolf52
    jbgolf52 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    10lbs of muscle is possible in 6 months, you can gain anywhere from 1-2lbs per month of muscle. Read up on Lyle McDonald's site, body recomposition, it has a lot of info on the subject. You can't gain pure muscle though, so aim for around 15-20lbs to gain and cut the fat afterward.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Iron:

If you've not read this post yet, I recommend it:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/940303-my-lady-bulking-memoir-pic-heavy

Good luck.
  • cats847
    cats847 Posts: 131
    Options
    You may want to read this first:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/expectations/