Not losing weight

Replies

• In tandem with suggestion increased protein intake, I also suggested that the OP take up more strength training.

I am not suggesting that I have the same metabolic/caloric needs as anyone else; you'll notice that the suggestions I've made have been in a range and, likewise, on a percentage basis. I encouraged the OP to find out what her actual metabolic needs are, rather than trusting MFP exclusively.

I'm sure she'll make an informed decision, either way. Glad to be of service.
  • Do a google search on resting metabolic rate calculator and TDEE, they are available online, and you can enter your age, height, weight, exercise frequency and intensity. They will pop out numbers that will be a fair but not precise approximation of your calorie needs if you are comatose (resting metabolic rate) and how many calories you need daily with the amount of activity that you participate in (TDEE).

http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

Found this one... it says:
    1608 BMR
    3738 TEE

Does that mean I should be eating 1608 calories a day? And would I lose at that intake? I would think that would be to maintain, but I don't know.
    If you don't mind me asking, what is your height/weight? 3700 cal TDEE for a 52 year old woman is astronomically high. You should be somewhere in the 1500-1900 range depending on your height/weight.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Use that and set it to "couch potato" even if you aren't. Use the top bullet point method. Subtract 500 from the answer and that is your net calorie goal.

my weight is 197... height is 5' 6"

using the site you posted *http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/* it says BMR 1522 and TDEE 2093
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member

using the site you posted *http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/* it says BMR 1522 and TDEE 2093

Does that TDEE level accurately reflect your activity level (lightly active = exercise 1-3x/week)? If so, eat at a 20% deficit in order to lose weight.

TDEE = 2093 - 418 (2093 * 20%) = 1675 cals/day.

If you selected "sedentary" as your activity level, recalculate your TDEE using the correct activity level.
  • In tandem with suggestion increased protein intake, I also suggested that the OP take up more strength training.

I am not suggesting that I have the same metabolic/caloric needs as anyone else; you'll notice that the suggestions I've made have been in a range and, likewise, on a percentage basis. I encouraged the OP to find out what her actual metabolic needs are, rather than trusting MFP exclusively.

I'm sure she'll make an informed decision, either way. Glad to be of service.

Thank you for your imput!! I am open to ideas, and everyone's suggestions are indeed giving me needed information to make changes to my program.
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    You sure you set it to 'no exercise?' I ran it and got TDEE of 1827.

The reason you always set it to 'no exercise' is you can just log your activity as exercise later.

If 1327 isn't doing the trick, try lowering it back to 1200 and see if that works. The TDEE calculator isn't perfect and genetic differences between people can cause variance.
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    I was where you are about 4-5 months ago (little younger, little taller, but basically the same). I actually think 1400 plus exercise calories is fine, but when you are eating your exercise calories back, leave some 'on the table' to allow for over-calculation. And you would want to do that for six to eight weeks, minimum, and then evaluate how that's gone. As a lot of people will tell you, weight loss is not linear.
    Are you sore from running? If so, I'd be willing to bet that you're retaining some water because of it.
    If getting on a lifting program sounds like a big jump right now, you may want to think about some of the (many) video-based programs out there. Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, Cardio Kickbox, etc. If you haven't been doing strength training, then starting with some bodyweight-based strength work like that may be a better transition and seem a little less intimidating! :)
  • TDEE is what to eat to MAINTAIN your current weight. In order to LOSE weight, eat TDEE less as moderate deficit (10-25% depending on how much weight you want to lose).

So.. that means I should be taking in 1570 (TDEE - 25%) to 1884 (TDEE - 10%) calories a day.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    I am in the same place as many posts I have seen. Not losing any wieght.

I know it looks like I have lost weight, but that is because I guesstimated where I was when I started. I am exercising 3 days a week (basically walking/running trying to get C25K W1D1 completed) 30 mins per day. I am logging EVERY tiny thing I eat... weighing it, measuring it.. almost to the point of obsession.

I have lost 2" on my waist and 2" on my hips, and basically ZERO on the scale.

I have been doing this for about 6 weeks now. I would think I would see weight loss as well as inch loss. Many tell me "you are gaining muscle" but I don't see where the muscle has been gained, accept possibly on my calves.

Diary open... I am open to ideas.

Hi, I'm older than you (age 59) and losing on a regular basis. I took a look back through the last week. It looks like you're eating a lot of processed or packaged food. Try eating plain food -- if you want beef and broccoli for dinner, buy those things and cook them yourself instead of buying a product. Many of those kinds of food are loaded with sodium which will keep you from losing weight. I also suggest you drink more water. I fill up on steamed leafy greens like kale and collards -- very low calorie and keep me from being hungry for hours.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Ignore scale
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    TDEE is what to eat to MAINTAIN your current weight. In order to LOSE weight, eat TDEE less as moderate deficit (10-25% depending on how much weight you want to lose).

So.. that means I should be taking in 1570 (TDEE - 25%) to 1884 (TDEE - 10%) calories a day.

Please take the time to read this post - It contains an excellent explanation of TDEE and contains links to help calculate your TDEE and the proper deficit %.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

This is another great post to help get to the basics of successful weight loss.

PS I sent you a freind request.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/963088-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • [Hi, I'm older than you (age 59) and losing on a regular basis. I took a look back through the last week. It looks like you're eating a lot of processed or packaged food. Try eating plain food -- if you want beef and broccoli for dinner, buy those things and cook them yourself instead of buying a product. Many of those kinds of food are loaded with sodium which will keep you from losing weight. I also suggest you drink more water. I fill up on steamed leafy greens like kale and collards -- very low calorie and keep me from being hungry for hours.

I make all my own foods. The recipes you see there as my daily meals, I created those recipes. I eat VERY LITTLE, if none, processed foods.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    [Hi, I'm older than you (age 59) and losing on a regular basis. I took a look back through the last week. It looks like you're eating a lot of processed or packaged food. Try eating plain food -- if you want beef and broccoli for dinner, buy those things and cook them yourself instead of buying a product. Many of those kinds of food are loaded with sodium which will keep you from losing weight. I also suggest you drink more water. I fill up on steamed leafy greens like kale and collards -- very low calorie and keep me from being hungry for hours.

I make all my own foods. The recipes you see there as my daily meals, I created those recipes. I eat VERY LITTLE, if none, processed foods.

My apologies....I misread your diary.
  • angelameda
    angelameda Posts: 9 Member
    Measurements are all that count when weighin in so I say up ur add something more intense to ur workout see more results good luck.
  • sticksandtwigs
    sticksandtwigs Posts: 20 Member
    I don't mean to bombard you with information, but may I recommend you check out Youtube's zumba classes for beginners? I do these a lot and they're fun and I love them!! In the videos, older women are keeping up with the instructor, so it shouldn't be strenuous in a bad way.
  • jenjen828
    jenjen828 Posts: 58 Member
    I went through the same thing about a week or two ago. Honestly, I had cut my calories too much, and did not have energy to exercise. When I did exercise, I logged them as 1 calorie because I did not want to eat back all my exercise calories. Anyway, I dropped too low, and had to eat more. Purchased a polar FT4 heart rate monitor to give me my calorie burn. I still do not eat all of my exercise burn back, but I do try to make sure I eat enough to net at least 1300-1400 calories. Sometimes my night workout takes me below, but I try to make up for it later. Honestly, I was scared to up my intake, but I really lost better once I did.

I know this repeats what a lot of people have said--and my magic numbers for me may not work for you. The thing is to get the information you need and have available and through trial and error find out what works for you. Unfortunately, there is no magic formula....as much as some people try to act like there is. Hope this helps.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member

I have lost 2" on my waist and 2" on my hips,

. Many tell me "you are gaining muscle" but I don't see where the muscle has been gained, accept possibly on my calves.

You are gaining muscle in your abs/core and your hips, that's why you've lost inches. The inches lost are because the muscle you now have in those areas takes up less space than the fat that was there, even if it weighs the same. Similar muscle in place of fat is probably present in other parts of your body that you haven't noticed.

Also, make sure you are eating at LEAST 1200 calories every day. If not more depending on how much you exercise.
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Yes, eating between those numbs should work well. Eat the higher number on exercise days:)
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member

Calorie deficit for weight loss and exercise for fitness. If you are not losing weight, there is a miscalculation somewhere along the line. However, you stated you are losing inches, so maybe focus on that instead of scale weight? Also, if you are eating at a deficit, you are not gaining any muscle.

That is not necessarily true, you can gain muscle on a calorie deficit, I have. If you are getting enough protein, and still eating a calorie deficit, and working on your strength, fat will burn off and some of it will be replaced with muscle. Your body will get the extra calories it needs by burning up fat. That is as long as you don't eat so low as to get into metabolic slow-down.
  • ktpod1
    ktpod1 Posts: 83 Member
    I have been on mfp the same length of time. Lost at first and nothing...even gained...frustrating. I just started looking at tdee and looking at If It Fits Your Macros. Trying to see if eating more is the trick! Oh, nice to see that you are on the C25k program. I will be starting W6D1 soon. Friend me if you could use another supporter! Good luck.