At home workouts

To people that workout at home, tell me what you did to get visual results. Feeling stronger is a plus of course but I wanna know which ones people did that you could see a clear before and after pictures and say "wow, that really worked". I don't care if it's a dvd or a book or something you wrote yourself. I just need some ideas of what to do at home. I'm losing motivation and need something that will keep me interested and get me excited to do.

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    I workout at home and always have since I started early this year. I invested in gym equipment so everything is at my fingertips and I have no excuses.

I use a treadmill to walk/run/sprint 3 days per week for about 65 minutes and I do free weights (compound lifts) 3 days per week for about 90 minutes. I made up my own program and am not following any specific workout and eating plan.

If you are interested in lifting programs, YouTube is an awesome place to look.
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    So you only started this year and lost 47 lbs doing this? If that is right then WOW. I been working out since the end of last year and lost only 15. I been stuck for 5 months and it's taking a big hit to my motivation.

Thank you for your tips. I may have to get more into lifting, I been putting off heavy lifting for awhile. I even have NROLFW but need to fix up my attic to do it. :embarassed:
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    I use Beachbody programs. I've been using them for the past several months, and I've only ever worked out at home since 2009 and have lost 129lbs doing so. :drinker:
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    I do stronglifts with a touch of iso's
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,988 Member
    I also workout mostly at home , I do have a gym membership but dont use it much. I have a recumbant bike, a step, some weights and a kettlebell, and resistance bands, also a stability ball. I use videos off youtube the 30 day shred, also fitness blender and blogilates is a really good place to start.hope this helps, also I do alot of walking and squats
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    I lift and do crunches at home, I've progressively bought heavier weights and if you add me you can see my progress photos.
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    I did 30 Day Shred last summer. I got to day 7 of level 2 and and had to quit because I blew out my knee. But, with that said, it was definitely working. It was obvious in the 17 days I had put into it.

Also, it is never given the props it should, but walking is an excellent workout. And if you keep upping your pace and add some incline to it, you can also see pretty fast results.

Hope this helps.
    M
  • Check out Mark Lauren's "You Are Your Own Gym."
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Anything by Jillian Michaels. I especially like the 30 day shred and ripped in 30 because they are short workouts that I use when time is at a premium.

Also, get a variety of dumbells. My heaviest set is 15 lb each. I hope to invest in 20s soon. I use these with Jillian, but also I use the Body for Life weight program. (get the book)

I also have an exercise bike, which I hate, but sometimes it is the last resort. It is cheaper than a treadmill.

For cardio, I like to run, bike, and walk, which is not at home, but is home based.

I pretty much do all my workouts either at home, or home based, since I dont have the time to waste driving to and from the gym. That way if I have even 20 or 30 minutes, there are no excuses for not exercising!

Good luck.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    I have a treadmill, elliptical and tons of weights. I have been doing the NROLFW for the past month, and notice more changes than when I was running three times a week. I lift at least twice a week now. I now realize how important building muscle is, and I firmly believe it's the way to go if you want to see significant changes in how you look AND feel. I can see muscles in my arms and abs that I didn't know I had!! lol
  • Cwyman1
    Cwyman1 Posts: 72 Member
    P90X, P90X2, and Insanity videos. To cut.
    Stronglifts 5x5 for strength gains quickly. Simple and works great!
    GVT to build muscles fast! Not for a beginner!!
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    I have a treadmill, elliptical and tons of weights. I have been doing the NROLFW for the past month, and notice more changes than when I was running three times a week. I lift at least twice a week now. I now realize how important building muscle is, and I firmly believe it's the way to go if you want to see significant changes in how you look AND feel. I can see muscles in my arms and abs that I didn't know I had!! lol

I have been running 3 times a week, well not this past week because I lost my motivation. I feel stronger but nothing is noticeably happening.

Honestly I have to lose a good amount of fat. I measure myself and weight myself and haven't seen much of anything moving in the past 5 months. So I clearly need to change it up. I am going to clean out my attic and put my weights to some use and look into some of the stuff people suggested here.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I will be sure to look into the stuff everyone suggested. :smile:
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    I started on Wii fitness games and then moved on to workout DVDs. Jillian Michaels is my favorite.

I've been doing pole dancing for the last 2-3 months, but that's it besides the at home workouts I've done.
  • JENNTF
    JENNTF Posts: 78 Member
    Turbo Fire or Insanity.
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH1dSycnp24&list=LLE2-XdCfCE3eXleIq3bNlOA&feature=mh_lolz

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/how-much-protein-per-day/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4w77Khjcjc&list=PL1c41tQdiDhNlibyxyk5pmM-h-LC4DxQ2

**starting sep 5 ab wrkout below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGaWt3FHErc&list=FLE2-XdCfCE3eXleIq3bNlOA

1st website is the 10min arm workout I do everyday and will soon incorporate with my calendar workout so I can have the same rest day for all workouts.

2nd website is the information about good fat vs bad fat. It's very informative!

3rd is my butt lift workout.....printout the calendar http://bit.ly/QriFSK this will help you keep track. I believe I sent you the link that has all the videos on the top right side, if not you can save them to your favorites on youtube.

Sep 5 I will add an ab workout w/calendar. print calendar here http://bit.ly/11kkJko

There you go, this is my workout routine! I set my phone to remind me of each wrkout; I don't do them all bk to bk, I spread them out so I don't kill myself. :) I hope this helps, Good luck!
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Bowflex, treadmill, some free weights, and a Kinect if I'm sure no one can see me.

I prefer to exercise outside, though.
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Absolutely guaranteed to leave you heaving face-down on the floor for the rest of your life.

Ross.jpg

You can be exceptionally, world-class fit without a bit of equipment, and just a little home equipment makes it even easier. Look at dancers, gymnasts, martial artists, yoga, etc etc.

The key is always intensity! Jog a block, and depending on your fitness level, most normal people will be lightly winded. Sprint that same length and within 40 feet your body will be screaming and you'll only make it to the end of the block by sheer force of will, stumbling like a drunk for the last few feet. At which time, if you honestly sprinted, you will be a sweaty, crumpled mess that will take at least a few minutes to gather together, be incapable of speech for 5 minutes, and sore for 2 days.

Intensity lights a fire under the metabolism, burns way more fat than moderate cardio in a fraction of the time, and builds lots 'o muscle. All it takes is accepting that there will be pain, but that you are worth it.
  • I too get bored with work outs at home, so i have increased my workout videos, I have boot camp tae bo, hip hop abs Shaun T, Stretching video (1hr), pilates, 20 min hand weighted intense cardio (amazon) 10 min abs from Special K, an eliptical and ab lounge with a video. I also ad in WII Dance Party. Yard work is awesome as well for burning calories. Hand mowing a lawn especially.

Your plateau is normal so what you need to do is increase your calorie intake for a day or so and than decrease for a day or so and had 1/2 hour to your normal work out. I have an extremely hard time losing weight and as of last Oct I had lost a total of 30 lbs in 10 months, worked out 90-120 mins a day. I am currently starting back up with myfittnessplan and working out, I trailed off for almost a year. :( thankfully I only gained 8lbs back.

If you'd like add me and I can help give you some encouragement on those days you feel blah! I'm always looking for ppl to help inspire and needs inspiring...
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Absolutely guaranteed to leave you heaving face-down on the floor for the rest of your life.

Ross.jpg

You can be exceptionally, world-class fit without a bit of equipment, and just a little home equipment makes it even easier. Look at dancers, gymnasts, martial artists, yoga, etc etc.

The key is always intensity! Jog a block, and depending on your fitness level, most normal people will be lightly winded. Sprint that same length and within 40 feet your body will be screaming and you'll only make it to the end of the block by sheer force of will, stumbling like a drunk for the last few feet. At which time, if you honestly sprinted, you will be a sweaty, crumpled mess that will take at least a few minutes to gather together, be incapable of speech for 5 minutes, and sore for 2 days.

Intensity lights a fire under the metabolism, burns way more fat than moderate cardio in a fraction of the time, and builds lots 'o muscle. All it takes is accepting that there will be pain, but that you are worth it.

Insanity sounds interesting. Can anyone fill me in on how long each workout is? With 2 active, involved kids, a job, a house, a husband, a life, etc., I find it hard to get bolcks of time to work out, which is why I started running and have loved Jillian Michaels workouts. But I am looking for something new. . . .
  • All4Tris
    All4Tris Posts: 215 Member
    I almost solely workout at home and I've done several different workout programs. I've done Turbo Jam, Walk Away the Pounds, Insanity (didn't finish), Supreme 90 Days, Fitnessblender youtube videos (free and AWESOME) and I have a ton of Jillian Michaels dvds. I actually just started Jillian Michaels Body Revolution (Phase 1, week 3). I started my journey in 2010. I got down 40 lbs and I'm trying to lose the 15 lbs I gained since last summer and get to my new goal weight now.