Losing Motivation

My husband was laid off about 6 weeks ago and I'm losing my motivation. I don't have the money now to buy healthy. I struggle to walk every day like I was. I'm not tracking every day if at all. I find myself succumbing to my sugar temptations because they do make me feel better during this time that I'm feeling depressed. If he doesn't find a job soon, I don't know what we'll do. I just need to at least start walking again. Ugh.

Replies

• I know how you feel. I only work part time on an on call basis and I'm a single mom going to school part time as well. When you're going through tough times it can be really hard to stay motivated. I just joined this site and I'm just getting started being serious about my weight loss and lifestyle change. I'm finding it hard because I really have no support no one to talk to about it especially when I'm struggling. I use to eat my feelings away also and I always crave sugar. I think maybe you may need some support and someone to talk to, to help you stay motivated. We all have our rough days where it's harder to stay on track, we can just start over fresh the next day. Feel free to add me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,486 Member
    You can't control his hiring or firing. You can control what you eat and how much you exercise. The approach should be toward a fit lifestyle, not just a program to lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Cherp18
    Cherp18 Posts: 224 Member
    So sorry to hear of your family struggles. Life throws some curve balls but somehow we have to carry on. I too have a sweet tooth and it's the first thing I (think to) turn to if I'm down. I try to stop myself first & think "do you really need this?" Usually the answer if no. I deal with myself and say "go do something for a couple minutes, get out of the kitchen, and then see how you feel in 5 minutes". Then I get doing something else and the craving passes. If it doesn't, I have to justify a treat by adding more exercise to burn those extra calories.

I think it's a vicious circle of eating sugar, being down and not exercising. Then you'll get really depressed about how you look and eat more sugar. Round and round.

Please try to keep up the outdoor activities. Push thoughts of troubles to the background while you're out. That's your "you" time. You can plan/discuss/worry when you're back home. I refuse to try & solve issues while exercising. I focus on how small my waist will be, how tight my *kitten* feels and how lean my arms are (all wishful thinking but I'm thinking ahead). When thoughts of finances come up, I think "NO! Focus on the physical you now" and eventually it works.

You'll be a better support for your spouse if you are in good shape mentally and physically. Wishing you all the best and hope I wasn't too preachy :)

Sending good thoughts ......
  • Joelle1640
    Joelle1640 Posts: 3 Member
    Sorry to hear about your situation!
    I used to feel the same way about healthy food being so much more expensive, but if you do it right, shop the deals, use a few coupons, it really is not that bad! And you never can put a price on your or your family's health. Check out this article below. I found it quite interesting! It's a comparison on what $20 can buy you at a drive through and at a supermarket.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp?post=what_20_will_buy_at_the_drivethru_and_at_the_supermarket
  • ikrissyt
    ikrissyt Posts: 28 Member
    Sorry to hear about your situation!
    I used to feel the same way about healthy food being so much more expensive, but if you do it right, shop the deals, use a few coupons, it really is not that bad! And you never can put a price on your or your family's health. Check out this article below. I found it quite interesting! It's a comparison on what $20 can buy you at a drive through and at a supermarket.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp?post=what_20_will_buy_at_the_drivethru_and_at_the_supermarket

This is great advice and a great article. It might take a little longer to use wholesome ingredients from a supermarket to make dinner, but it costs less and is way better for you. Like she said, you can't put a price on your or your family's health!
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Sounds like you are understandably depressed. I know the feeling! And giving in to it got me fat! Please go for those walks instead of self medicating with sugar, the exercise really will get you feeling better and it's free! Hang in there and take care of yourself.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    ac0x04crtj5hm12pzf4n.png
  • sassymanatee
    sassymanatee Posts: 102 Member
    Don't listen to this person. ^
  • rose228822
    rose228822 Posts: 186 Member
    My husband was laid off about 6 weeks ago and I'm losing my motivation. I don't have the money now to buy healthy. I struggle to walk every day like I was. I'm not tracking every day if at all. I find myself succumbing to my sugar temptations because they do make me feel better during this time that I'm feeling depressed. If he doesn't find a job soon, I don't know what we'll do. I just need to at least start walking again. Ugh.

I'm sorry that you and your husband are going through tough times right now and hope things get better. Buy vegetables and fruits when on sale and yogurt can be inexpensive as well as beans which are very good fiber and there are a lot of generic brands that are a good alternative...these may be things you know already though.
    I have to track, some don't but for me if I don't I really lose track of how much I eat. I have been in a similar situation years before when things seemed so dismal and felt my prayers were left unheard and I got very depressed but realized for my children (now teenagers) and family/friends that I could not give up!
    Maybe since he is not working you two can find an activity or just start walking together, it may help him out with stress and it will be your time together until he is working again.
    Take care and feel free to add me as a friend:smile:
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Does over eating really make you feel better??? I bet a walk with some healthy food would do the job and you'd feel better in the long run.
  • I quit tracking for a while, then gained back about 15 lbs and have had to fight hard to lose (most) of it again. It's hard to do anything when you're depressed, so set very small goals for yourself and rejoice in reaching them. Even going for a 10 minute walk will help you. Start with 5 minutes out, then walk the 5 minutes back home. This is a small, doable goal. It's not the calorie burn that's the goal, it' s the habit of exercising you are trying to build. IF your husband isn't working, get him to go with you, and if necessary, make a rule you don't discuss the job thing on this walk. You both need a place where you can escape the negative, so let the walk be it. Add a minute a day to the walk and you will begin to really look forward to it.
    Good luck to you !
  • Oh, a better book, is This is Why you're Fat by Jackie Warner. Rather than placing blame, it gives a scientific outline of what you need to do in order to lose weight. Even if you're not into the exercises (which are excellent BTW) the info in the first several chapters about food and hormones is worth the price of the book. Shop around and you can get the book cheap from an online seller. The public library has lots of books on weight loss, plus you can go there and rent movies or work out tapes, etc. And it's free! Usually free wireless! use the public library as a resource to help you. Been there on the job loss thing so I am with you guys in spirit.
  • wicky24
    wicky24 Posts: 15 Member
    Thanks everyone. You've been very helpful.