success without having to run?

I've been doing a lot of research on the benefits of running over walking but I'm just too nervous about injury to start running...at least just yet. So now I'm wondering, am i doing all i can with 'just' walking? Or should i force myself a little out of my comfort zone? What kind of experiences have people had with this topic?
Currently I'm walking outside on hilly terrain with no weights for at least an hour a day.
Thank you!

Replies

• I injured my ankle a few months ago and have been unable to run due to it, so I feel you on that.

Walking is okay still, just change things up a bit. Maybe walk faster for a period of time, then slower, faster, etc, that way it keeps your body guessing what's next. Or walk at a faster pace one day, and slower the next. Arm weights would be good too.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    You do not have to run to lose weight. Anything that creates a calorie deficit will do, and it should be something you enjoy so you'll sustain it.

Personally I love running, but not everyone does. If you want to get started running I'd suggest the Couch to 5K program. There are a ton of apps for it if you have a smartphone, and if not a stopwatch would work just fine too.
  • always, always think of it like this:-

1)cardio - helps build a strong heart and keeps you healthy.
    - a specific cardio activity will bost your endurance at that activity
    2)diet (a good sustainable diet) - controls the fat % of your body loosing or gaining progressively is the key, binge eating or crash deficits are not sustainable!
    3)resistance training - give you the shape/body youve always wanted - yes even with girls

so going back to your question, yes running is the only way to succeed if your goal is to be a runner.

what is your goal?
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Ride a bicycle. Bicycles save lives! :)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Why do you think you're going to injure yourself running? As long as you start slowly build up and have some decent shoes there is no reason why you should.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Why do you think you're going to injure yourself running? As long as you start slowly build up and have some decent shoes there is no reason why you should.
    decent shoes really are key, even with walking. IMO, if you want to run, the Couch to 5K app is a great one. If you don't, then... why focus on running? Plenty of ways to get good exercise and still enjoy yourself. Personally I'd like to become a runner, at least on occasion. Walking 3-6 miles 3-4 times per week is strengthening the muscles required for running, thus helping avoid injury once I get to running more than a half mile at a time... soon :)
  • jojoboxing
    jojoboxing Posts: 118 Member
    Tons of walkers on this site. I have never run at all and used the elliptical on maybe just 2 workouts. No high intensity cardio until starting this week. I lost 40lbs by diet and walking alone then I added other exercises as I felt ready for more. Running will only help you lose weight if you actually do it. If you are apprehensive then start with walking. I made a commitment to walk at least .5 miles every day no matter what and have not missed a day in 120 days. Either way a lot of your success is hinged mostly on your diet not exercise.

Why don't I run? Just don't like it and would rather do other forms of cardio.
  • I wanna learn to run..all my life being overweight i was conscious and could never run in public. Now I am 28 and need to loose weight for a more positive outlook in life & also for a healthy body. But now if i try to run even for 20 seconds my chest pains. Not sure how to overcome that....? When i see people running on the beach there is this immense calm on their face & they just swoosh past me...feels like i should catch up. Any tips on learning to run please....
  • Miepke99
    Miepke99 Posts: 31 Member
    I've had surgery on both my ankles and I won't be able to run. Ever. And I still lose weight.
    I do some slow walking with my excercises as well, but that's really painful for me so I can't keep that up for more than 15 minutes. There are a lot of other kinds of excercise you can compensate with.
  • Mguilmot
    Mguilmot Posts: 232 Member
    Never ran. Can't ran because of my knees. Bicycle and good diet was the way I lost it all. Walking is the best exercise to start, as it is the sport with the least injuries, and all you need is a pair of shoes :-)
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    I'm in for the bicycle. :smile:
    It's fun!
    A calorie deficit, walking, cycling and if I ever get my poop together, kettle bells, are all in my bag of tricks to get me to my goal weight and body.
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    I wanna learn to run..all my life being overweight i was conscious and could never run in public. Now I am 28 and need to loose weight for a more positive outlook in life & also for a healthy body. But now if i try to run even for 20 seconds my chest pains. Not sure how to overcome that....? When i see people running on the beach there is this immense calm on their face & they just swoosh past me...feels like i should catch up. Any tips on learning to run please....

Have a physical to clear things with your doctor first and then I recommend the couch to 5K program. It worked for me and has for many others of all sizes and ages. I have recently started the bridge to 10K program. I don't have a smart phone but I do have a small mp3 player. I downloaded podcasts to that that tell you when to run and when to walk. It is great. Walk until you feel ready to start running and then give the program a try. You don't have to move to the next week's schedule until YOU feel ready. Repeat workouts as often as you feel needed. It is your workout on your timeframe.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    You do not have to run to lose weight. Anything that creates a calorie deficit will do, and it should be something you enjoy so you'll sustain it.

Yep. Think lifestyle not a 5 minute plan.

In my fat burning phase (2012), I ran for a total of 10 minutes just to try out minimalist running. I now only run in tennis (more a sprint than a standard run).

The thing about doing stuff you enjoy (for me, tennis) is that you end up doing it far longer than you planned to - I try to play tennis twice a week for 2 hours because I want to. I may have the intention of only playing for an hour a session, too, but I enjoy it so much I'm playing until I am just dragging my feet. :-D The other evening we played until we couldn't see the ball, that's how dark it got. OTOH if I'd run, I'd probably finish after 5 minutes and mutter, "Screw this!"
  • ^^^^ I agree with Darren. Do what you most enjoy :)
  • This time last year I lost about 10-15lbs just by doing Leslie Sansone's 5 mile walk and Billy Blanks' Tae Bo (both on Youtube).

As long as you're burning the calories, the weight will come right off. Consider doing some resistance training to maintain your muscle, or even increase the mass a little. I like yoga, pilates and calisthenics for this.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    You totally do NOT have to run!!! You're right to be wary of it, too.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    I take targeted walks nearly every day. Between that, eatting at a calorie deficit and resistance training, I have lost 44 lbs.

Not one bit of that has been while running.

My walks though are for a decent speed, distance with hills and stairs included to get the heart rate going. A leisurely stroll around the block is not a walk in my world. Thats everyday getting around which are not targeted walks, imo.