how do I get my arms in better shape?

My fiance tells me I look fine and that I don't need to lose weight, but since I met him I've gained over 80 pounds and most of it is in my hips and stomach, and I don't really mind those parts I kinda like having a full figure but I can't seem to get rid of the arm fat, I am horrified to wear anything that shows my arms. Is there ANYTHING I can do??? I've tried all kinds of stuff but it just doesn't seem to work. My wedding dress is a halter top and I have nightmares about the arm fat poking around every side that it can, and everyone pointing and laughing at my expense......I want to look good at my wedding, it's not until October so I have time but still......:sad:

Replies

• My fiance tells me I look fine and that I don't need to lose weight, but since I met him I've gained over 80 pounds and most of it is in my hips and stomach, and I don't really mind those parts I kinda like having a full figure but I can't seem to get rid of the arm fat, I am horrified to wear anything that shows my arms. Is there ANYTHING I can do??? I've tried all kinds of stuff but it just doesn't seem to work. My wedding dress is a halter top and I have nightmares about the arm fat poking around every side that it can, and everyone pointing and laughing at my expense......I want to look good at my wedding, it's not until October so I have time but still......:sad:
  • Are you doing any cardio right now? Also, throw in some weight training. For starters I used my gyms Nautilis equipment for biceps and triceps. WIth the bicep machine, you are basically doing curls in which you curl the weight up towards you. For the tricep, you are pushing the weight down from you.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    First off relax, you are right, you have plenty of time.
    There are several things that you can do for your arms.
    Remember of course that you can not spot reduce so any muscel that you get will help all over.
    I have to do a lot of arm and Ab excersizes for sailing No arm strength means the sail does not get up and you do not go anywhere.
    Here are some of the things that I do to prep.
    The un-push up- push up.
    You get into the push up position and hold it there for a 15 count.
    get on your knees
    rest for 30 sec, repeat.
    Swing Backs
    You hold a 5 lb weigh with your arm Bent under your chin, swing it behind you SLOWLY. until your arm is stretched out behind you. (Like superman.) Do 15 times each side,
    rest 30 sec, repeat. (REMEMBER SLOW CONTROLED MOVEMENT!)
    Over Head Lifts.
    One Bar Bell or two hand weights. 10 to 20 Lbs
    Start at about your ears Lift slowly till arms are stright up. and lower.
    15 times. Rest 30, repeat.
    Fly aways.
    Two hand weights. 5 to 10 Lbs.
    Standing with a weight in each hand. Lift slowly till arms are stright out to each side.
    Hold there for 3 to 5 counts and slowly resturn to your side.
    Do 15 times. Rest 30, repeat.
    Then there is the thing that I do in the office.
    If you have a chair with arm rests.
    Push yourself up from the arm rest as many times as you can fit before the phone rings or someone asks you what the heck you are doing. :blushing:
    This should start you off O.K.
    Do these every other day.
    If you do it every day, you are not going to be able to move your arms. And you might give up on them.
    I hope this helps.
    --Diann...
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    weights! And until the actual weight comes off your body you may never achieve the kind of arms you are looking for. It is hard to explain to men how we feel about our bodies, my husband always chooses clothes I wouldn't wear when I was thin let alone now.

You will get there, it takes time, but keep working and you will start to notice little changes in your whole body from doing weights and it's those little changes that motivate us to keep reaching for the gold!
  • :happy: thank you everyone, I didn't expect a response from anyone let alone so quickly, I've joined sites like this in the past and everyone just kinda of ignored me from day one...thank you
  • Your welcome and goodluck!
  • :happy: thank you everyone, I didn't expect a response from anyone let alone so quickly, I've joined sites like this in the past and everyone just kinda of ignored me from day one...thank you

This site is VERY interactive. I don't post but I love reading everything everyone says.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    That's as easy as losing body fat and lifting heavy weight. Seriously...it doesn't have to be anything fancy. But it does have to be heavy.
    Plenty of people assume that light weight, high rep will 'tone'. However, if you're pumping out 15-20 reps with a 5 lb dumbbell, you're not sufficiently stimulating the muscle to cause damage and repair, so they don't become stronger. Also, you're building size with fluid buildup rather than muscle density, leaving your muscles looking softer. If you want firmer arms, you need to lose body fat and lift barbells or dumbells that are too heavy to do more than 12 reps, but light enough that you can do 8. So in a nutshell:

1) Lose body fat with diet and cardio.
    2) Perform Dumbell Curls, Barbell Curls, Tricep Pulldowns, and Push Ups (do as many push ups as possible, even if it's just one. Rest, until you can do another one).
    3) Perform 8-12 repetitions with weight that is too heavy for more than 12.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    You are welcome dear!
    I agree this site is very interactive.
    And you all do not tell me how bad my spelling is! :bigsmile:
    Keep us posted and let us know how you are doing! :flowerforyou:
    --Diann...
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Push ups and dips.