Wait, what? Go from 90 seconds to 3minutes in week 3?

I just finished week 2 and peeked ahead and saw the 3 minute jogging stretch in week 3. I just assumed it would be two minutes in week 3. Did anyone have trouble with this?

Replies

• btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    There are a lot of scary jumps in the C25K program, but you can do it! You'll find when you try them that they weren't as bad as you thought. Just remember that if you're having problems with any given day, slow down.
  • ktpod1
    ktpod1 Posts: 83 Member
    The progrsm is amazing...I am on week 6 and ran for 20 min.... I couldnt believe how far I could go in 6 weeks. My biggest advice...go SLOW. I found I could go farther after I slowed down my pace. This anout enduramce... you will do fine! :tongue:
  • micqs
    micqs Posts: 186 Member
    It isn't as bad as you would think. The first day I was like, "This F***ing Sucks!" but I pushed through it. The next time it was easier. Just keep at it and it'll get easier. :)
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    This is going to sound weird but as you progress it becomes easier to run longer intervals and after a while you'll find the walk breaks get in the way lol

As btsinmd already said, the key is to run slow enough to complete each interval, if you can't do it then you're probably running too fast.
  • I love this board! Thank you so much for the advice and encouragement. Im going to do like you said-slow down if I have trouble.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Nope. I thought the same thing. I struggled a bit w 60 seconds until I paced myself. I think that you can do it. Just keep posting your daily updates in that thread. We'll cheer you on! Good luck. :smile:
  • Goalsat47
    Goalsat47 Posts: 74 Member
    I just finished Week 3, Day 3. I found that I struggled just a little towards the end of the second 3 minute run but I was able to push through and get it done. Getting a little nervous about week 4 but also looking forward to it.

It really is a great program.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    I spent most of the 9 weeks looking at what they were asking and saying "are they mad???" After a few weeks, I became comfortable with the fact that they were insane. And they were right about what I could do too.
  • Don't let that jump freak you out. I let the jump in week 4 psych me out and after I finished my first day I thought "why did I let myself worry about that?" I certainly wasn't able to do all the running on my first day but it wasn't as bad as I let myself believe it would be. Don't let your head get in the way and just run! :)
  • toni_mmh
    toni_mmh Posts: 78 Member
    I'm on Week6Day2 - my advice, having recently been where you are and not yet crossed all my upcoming milestones, is DON'T LOOK AHEAD. Don't even look on that day. I just click START and never look back at the app until I hear "Cool Down". I do what the lady says...I run when she says run and I walk when she finally says walk. That way your brain doesn't get involved and try to tell your body what it can't do. The mental hurdles are bigger than the physical hurdles in this program. The physical part is planned out well (I don't understand it) but it has worked for many...it's working for me. And I am, wait WAS, the quintessential couch potato before C25K. WOW...personal revelation and Non scale victory (NSV): I am no longer a couch potato. YOU CAN DO IT!
  • hhill83
    hhill83 Posts: 22 Member
    Yup! But as others have said this is definately a bigger mental hurdle than physical and by week 5 you defo get better at thinking BRING IT ON! I've just done week 5 run 2, something I dreaded at the beginning. But if I can do it you defo can too! :-)
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    It was a shocker to me as well, seems so easy to do 90 seconds and then its doubled, what the heck!!
    But you can do it, the program is designed to condition, just give it a try and don't think about the longer time, try not to let in intimidate you .
    And if you feel you are getting winded or tired and want to stop, slow down a bit more. You got this!!
  • likitisplit
    I'm on Week6Day2 - my advice, having recently been where you are and not yet crossed all my upcoming milestones, is DON'T LOOK AHEAD. Don't even look on that day. I just click START and never look back at the app until I hear "Cool Down". I do what the lady says...I run when she says run and I walk when she finally says walk. That way your brain doesn't get involved and try to tell your body what it can't do. The mental hurdles are bigger than the physical hurdles in this program. The physical part is planned out well (I don't understand it) but it has worked for many...it's working for me. And I am, wait WAS, the quintessential couch potato before C25K. WOW...personal revelation and Non scale victory (NSV): I am no longer a couch potato. YOU CAN DO IT!

I think of it more like I still have my inner couch potato. But now I have my inner runner too.
  • asalembier
    asalembier Posts: 124 Member
    For me, every week is a shocker. I started out at 30 seconds of running 7 weeks ago. Sunday I ran my first km - 9.5 minutes. What I did was to prepare myself was on day 3, do the running the same until the last run then I pushed myself the last run to run that 3 min, or 5 min or whatever to make sure I was prepared to do it the next time, and if I couldn't then I knew how to prepare accordingly.
    It isn't as bad as it seems (honest!!), as long as you take it slow and bring some really good music.
    Tonight I am supposed to do a solid 20 min run from 2x8 min runs with a 5 min walk break. I am a little nervous. I may have to wait on that as it is 44c degrees here (110f), and I am not that crazy to do it.
  • toni_mmh
    toni_mmh Posts: 78 Member

I think of it more like I still have my inner couch potato. But now I have my inner runner too.

YUP! Probably more the case for me too... I'm still in the euphoric stage :laugh:
  • likitisplit

YUP! Probably more the case for me too... I'm still in the euphoric stage :laugh:

I don't think it's an either/or.
  • You guys are right - it is mental. I completed week 3 day 1 yesterday and it was fine! I just went slow. Thank you!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    I spent most of the 9 weeks looking at what they were asking and saying "are they mad???" After a few weeks, I became comfortable with the fact that they were insane. And they were right about what I could do too.

This pretty much sums it up for me too. I saw other people repeating weeks not because they didn't finish them, but because they were afraid they weren't ready for the next week. I took the approach that I would keep going until there was something I couldn't finish and then I would repeat. Got through it without having to repeat, because I was always willing to go as slow as I needed to in order to complete the run. Eventually you will start trusting yourself. But it does seem pretty insane at the time.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    You guys are right - it is mental. I completed week 3 day 1 yesterday and it was fine! I just went slow. Thank you!

Yay! Well done!
  • Rai007
    Rai007 Posts: 387 Member
    today was my w2d2 and i jogged for straight 5 minutes. 3 minutes is doable. :) good luck