Do I really need to post every day?

I started up on this site a few months back. The support has been fantastic and I have even lost 10 pounds. The problem is some of my friends here chastise me for NOT logging in every day......while others hold their 'achievement' of 100 -1000 days logged in as some kind of badge of honor. I know the site promotes this because it effects their ad revenue but I don't want to stress about logging into this site every day......I just want to stress about losing weight.

Am I missing out?

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    I don't see how logging in every day takes much time or stress but it doesn't really matter.

The point is constistency with your caloric intake. If you're not logging your food, how do you know how many calories you're consuming? That's kind of the point.

Also, days logged in doesn't really mean much since it only takes into account whether you've logged in, not whether you've actually logged any food or exercise.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I used to skip weekends. It hurt my progress, so I started logging every day. No more problems.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Like a lot of things in life, it depends on how much effort you want to put into it.

I can say in general most people here seem to think constantly logging helps them in their efforts to lose weight. I have found that accurate logging has been very beneficial for me.

Are you already happy with your current objectives and rate of weight loss. If so, then things are already going well for you. If not, you may want to mix it up a bit and give it a try.

Good luck to you. :-)
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Do what works for you! I would highly recommend logging in every day for a couple of weeks just to see if your progress increases. It can't hurt to test different methods :)
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Also, if you don't want those notifications showing up in your news feed you can go to My Home>Settings>Automatic News Feed Update and uncheck those so your friends don't give you crap about it.

You could also find new friends as a second option :wink:
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    If you're happy with this progress, then you're using the site how it works for you. Don't worry about other people. If you don't like seeing that post about how many days you've logged in consistently, then turn it off under 'Settings' like I did.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    I log every day I have access to a computer.

Steve
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    You don't have to log every day, but logging every day WILL help you to lose the weight more faster because you will have a better idea of what you're putting into your body & what you're doing to burn it off. It's most certainly your choice, just please don't become one of those people who's not logging & then starting threads about how the site sucks because you're not losing weight fast enough. If you're happy with the results you're getting then there's no reason to change things. Your MFP friends are on you solely because they're trying to help you be successful, please don't hold that against them. I'm not sure what you mean by the statement about their days logged in - are they throwing it in your face or are you seeing it as an update from them?

There's no 1 way to do things here, the bottom line is you need to be happy with where you're headed. Good luck to you........
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Thanks for the update. Was wondering why people where acting weird.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    I logged in during weight loss mode every day because how else could I log what I was eating? I didn't always chat with folks every day. Sometimes just came on long enough to log my food, or document my weigh in, or whatever. It's not a huge time commitment. But, to each his own.
  • I agree w/everyone's posts that you should do what works best for you. I've been the same weight all my life, I work in the fitness industry & am not overweight, but once I started logging in daily I found I made much better, healthier choices & dropped 10 lbs, too! I just think it keeps your head in the game & reminds you to make good choices.
  • I like to post every day, it helps me keep track of myself, for my own peace of mind......
    I don't think it's stressful, just part of my daily ritual, some people may choose to bath or brush their teeth, I log.
    ha
    j/k
  • curlyloca
    curlyloca Posts: 81 Member
    I log everyday because it makes me accountable for the day. Even if I go way over, I log.
  • much2complicated
    much2complicated Posts: 24 Member
    do what works for you. i log everyday. it helps me keep track. to keep my eye on my goal. also, I like to support my friends in their efforts.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    it is good to keep a food journal whether its online or in a notebook. I do both. It helps keep me accountable and makes a great reference if I want to just copy a day and not have to think about it. I agree that having to keep up with it can be a pain but at least jot it down somewhere.
  • rose228822
    rose228822 Posts: 186 Member
    I started up on this site a few months back. The support has been fantastic and I have even lost 10 pounds. The problem is some of my friends here chastise me for NOT logging in every day......while others hold their 'achievement' of 100 -1000 days logged in as some kind of badge of honor. I know the site promotes this because it effects their ad revenue but I don't want to stress about logging into this site every day......I just want to stress about losing weight.

Am I missing out?

Good afternoon,
    I log in everyday but it has not been a problem or issue for me. In my case I like to see the daily/weekly summary since I really try to keep the sodium down...it has helped enough for me to be off high blood pressure meds recently. I have MFP's that are not logging daily and to me that's their choice and some do not need to log all their calories because they have better control with that then I do...I would never chastise someone for NOT logging because that's a personal preference and I don't consider my daily logging any type of badge of honor if anything I wish I were to the point where I didn't need to do this but like I said it's really not an issue for me, I get busy sometimes and don't do it until the end of the day or after I workout but it's not too time consuming.
    Definitely don't get stressed and concentrate on doing some type of physical activity and also portion control and you will be fine...I try to be supportive and motivate my MFP pals and they have been great to me!
    Take care and have a nice day:smile:
  • I think it reflects various personality types. Kind of like people who have amazing running streaks going. Getting a logging streak going helps some people stay consistent. Other people can get by with less.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Also, if you don't want those notifications showing up in your news feed you can go to My Home>Settings>Automatic News Feed Update and uncheck those so your friends don't give you crap about it.

You could also find new friends as a second option :wink:

Thanks for the tip!
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    I don't see how logging in every day takes much time or stress but it doesn't really matter.

The point is constistency with your caloric intake. If you're not logging your food, how do you know how many calories you're consuming? That's kind of the point.

Also, days logged in doesn't really mean much since it only takes into account whether you've logged in, not whether you've actually logged any food or exercise.

^^This^^ Yes, This. If you're not tracking your calories and exercise here, where are you tracking or ARE you tracking? I know you've made progress (Congrats on the 10 lbs, by the way), so something is working for you. I'm still agreeing with this poster. Track.Track. Track.
  • I dont log everyday, though I do keep a diary of what I eat manually, and add that when I think about it. Using here helps as I can see things easier than having to work things out like macros pen to paper style, but if I miss well, its not a big deal. I travel quite often, dont always eat to plan, and as much as I want to lose weight and get fitter i know it took years to get the size I did, and won't be an easy fix but im getting there. So do what works for you and dont worry what others think. As long as you dont moan about not losing weight if youve not logged in so people can help, then no one here should really care as we all have our own ways of working it for us :)