Before or After - Best time for Protein Shake

On my lifting days, I like to boost my protein content by drinking a protein shake. Just curious though... do you drink it before your workout so the protein is there and available or after as part of recovery? And why?

Replies

• jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    after for recovery for sure, i drink bcaa's before and during , however my BF drinks it before and after
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Doesn't really matter as long as you're eating a meal within 2-3 hours before and after your workout.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Thanks all... and Jenna, what are bcaas?
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    I have mine about 30 minutes after my workout, but only because that's how long it takes me to stretch, foam roll, and get home.

As others have said, timing is not of huge importance.
  • jonnythan

BCAAs are branched chain amino acids, a particular type of amino acid. Proteins are made of amino acids, and typical protein shakes made with whey protein have a substantial quantity of amino acids. You can also buy pills or powders that are made solely of BCAAs, for various reasons. The vast majority of people need not worry about them.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    I do after - it's my reward for the hard work. :)
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    I haven't eaten since an early lunch today at 11:00. But, I don't want to wait till really late to workout. So, I was thinking of chugging one before I go to the gym, get my workout in and then have dinner after.
  • bernied262
    bernied262 Posts: 882 Member
    I don't work out til the evening. I generally have my dinner at about 5:30, walk the dog, then get to the gym about 8pm. Work out for a minimum of 90 mins. Get home just after 10pm, I have my shake then. Honestly, some nights I get home and feel so hungry that I could eat my own leg, but I settle for the shake (which I hate BTW)
  • jonnythan
    I haven't eaten since an early lunch today at 11:00. But, I don't want to wait till really late to workout. So, I was thinking of chugging one before I go to the gym, get my workout in and then have dinner after.

Yeah you can do that. Personally I like to get carbs more than protein pre-workout, so I typically have a banana or some sort of protein bar. Whatever works for you. Just give it a little time to digest before you hit the gym. Working out with stuff sitting in your stomach can be uncomfortable.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    The most important thing is to hit your protein goals for the day...timing is largely irrelevant for the vast majority of us. You might see some very nominal benefit if you were a competition lifter/body builder or something...but nothing you're going to really notice just being a "normal" person.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Banana before, protein shake after. The banana is (hopefully) for a boost of energy for the workout, and the shake is for muscle repair after. Don't know how important the timing is for the shake, but I like to wait till after since I'm always hungry after a workout anyway. And like another poster mentioned, it's sort of like a reward.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    carbs before for energy for the work, protein after to kick start recovery... works for me =)
  • jennaworksout

BCAA’s are the building blocks of protein and they make up over 30% of the muscle tissue in your body. When you consume a high quality protein source of food, the protein is broken down through digestion leaving you with BCAA’s which are then sent through the blood stream and either used as fuel, to repair and build your muscle, and many other important functions of your body including brain function. You could go as far as saying that BCAA’s are the best part of protein.

Consuming a BCAA supplement post workout (whether it be weight lifting or cardio), will help your body recover much quicker. BCAA’s will also prevent your body from using your own muscle as fuel, (Remember to avoid the Skinny Fat Person syndrome as I mentioned above).

There are great benefits to consuming BCAA’s prior to your workout as well. BCAA’s can boost your energy and improve your performance in the gym, as well as delay the onset of fatigue, meaning that you will be able to workout harder for a longer period of time before fatigue kicks in. When you ingest BCAA’s prior to your workout, your body will use them as fuel (energy), instead of tapping into your muscles to get the energy. Once again, preserving your lean and sexy muscle.

Some studies have also shown that BCAA’s operate as anabolic agents allowing the body to burn fat instead of your precious muscle mass. This is especially true if you are following a very low calorie and low carb diet.

IMO bcaa is more important than protein
  • I also do carbs before and protein after for recovery. I find that if I have good carbs I tend to have more energy during my workout classes! But if your in a pinch and not eaten since 11 in the morning and its after work I would rather chug a protein shake than walk in without fuel on board. Pointless to me!! But whatever works for you! Try both and see what works best for your body!! Good luck!! Add me if you like!!
  • jonnythan

BCAA’s are the building blocks of protein and they make up over 30% of the muscle tissue in your body. When you consume a high quality protein source of food, the protein is broken down through digestion leaving you with BCAA’s which are then sent through the blood stream and either used as fuel, to repair and build your muscle, and many other important functions of your body including brain function. You could go as far as saying that BCAA’s are the best part of protein.

Consuming a BCAA supplement post workout (whether it be weight lifting or cardio), will help your body recover much quicker. BCAA’s will also prevent your body from using your own muscle as fuel, (Remember to avoid the Skinny Fat Person syndrome as I mentioned above).

There are great benefits to consuming BCAA’s prior to your workout as well. BCAA’s can boost your energy and improve your performance in the gym, as well as delay the onset of fatigue, meaning that you will be able to workout harder for a longer period of time before fatigue kicks in. When you ingest BCAA’s prior to your workout, your body will use them as fuel (energy), instead of tapping into your muscles to get the energy. Once again, preserving your lean and sexy muscle.

Some studies have also shown that BCAA’s operate as anabolic agents allowing the body to burn fat instead of your precious muscle mass. This is especially true if you are following a very low calorie and low carb diet.

How can amino acids be more important than... amino acids?

Quality protein sources contain a lot of BCAAs.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    I use protein shakes to fill my protein macro percentage. Usually meals 2 and 4. Sometimes I put protein powder with egg whites, a little milk, and oats and make pancakes.

Direct answer: It doesn't really matter when. I don't know if this is broscience or not, but I've read (bb.com- not a scientific source, but not Dr. Oz) that it's best to get one in (at least a snack/meal )within 30 minutes of a workout to replace whatever nutrients are lost when you exercise. That said, if you want one before your workout, then there's no harm in having one.
  • jennaworksout

again ... IMO I recover better post workout , and build more muscle now by using Bcaa's , protein powder is just a bonus for me as I am Paleo and need the protein as I am low carb.
  • jonnythan

again ... IMO I recover better post workout , and build more muscle now by using Bcaa's , protein powder is just a bonus for me as I am Paleo and need the protein as I am low carb.

But protein powder contains a lot of BCAAs. That's the point. Whey protein is composed largely of BCAAs.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member

But protein powder contains a lot of BCAAs. That's the point. Whey protein is composed largely of BCAAs.

I tend to agree. I don't bother spending the money on BCAAs since the protein I use has BCAAs in it. There's 4.6 g BCAAs in my protein. The average BCAA serving is 5g, taken 2-4 times a day. I usually have 2 protein shakes a day, which is 2 servings of BCAAs. Seems like a waste of money to buy them when I get them already.