keeping your running/ workout clothes stink-free?

hey guys!
i can't stand the funk..lol
so i was wondering how you all keep your running/ workout clothes stink-free?
and when they do get stinky, what do you do to get the funk out! oh, yeah!!

Replies

• I've heard that if you soak them in vinegar and then wash them that helps.

Also adding vinegar to the rinse cycle or the cycle that would add the fabric softner helps as well.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    I add a cap full of vinegar to the water when I wash my workout clothes.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    There is this detergent that I get from RRS (RoadRunnerSports.com). It is called Penguin Sport-Wash. Seeing as both my husband and I run, we have a LOT of stinky workout clothes and this stuff does the trick!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    ....I wash them...
  • moopity
    moopity Posts: 54 Member
    I add a cap full of vinegar to the water when I wash my workout clothes.

This.
  • Super hot water, don't cram your washer full, they need room to move around in the water.

Baking soda and white vinegar in the wash cycle.
  • timothydriver
    timothydriver Posts: 147 Member
    As ADINA749 said "I wash them" lol I love that reply! Washing them always does it for me as well...
  • As ADINA749 said "I wash them" lol I love that reply! Washing them always does it for me as well...

I wash my workout clothes every day but it still doesn't get the stuck in sweaty funk that is reactivated when you sweat out.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    There is one from Tide that i use and it is made for workout /fitness clothes. Works great too!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    ....I wash them...

4211477+_4a2c167105acf71b3ab7623f11a9b3d2.gif

AqrOa.gif
  • To all you people who say "You wash them" HOW do you get the funk out even after you wash them?

Like I said, I wash my workout clothes every day. I even used Tide Sport with Fabreeze. I've soaked them in the vinegar and water, washed them in vinegar and the Tide Sport in HOT WATER. I've also air dried them, dried them on the clothesline outside, dried them in the drier with fabric sheets however whenever I start sweating it reactivates the previous funk.

Unless I sweat more than you hence the reason the funk is still in there?:huh:
  • notdieting
    notdieting Posts: 116 Member
    I soak mine in a very strong solution of biological washing liquid every now and then. I leave them overnight to allow the enzymes to break down the bacteria that causes the funk but there is a point where all the washing in the world won't get rid of it.

Make sure your work-out kit is made from a material that 'wicks'...i.e. absorbs sweat away from the skin but is breathable, These wicking properties also allow the fabric to 'let go' of the bacteria whereas cotton, for example, will hold on to it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    We wash them in oxy clean.

We buy the BIG BOX at costco.
  • To all you people who say "You wash them" HOW do you get the funk out even after you wash them?

Like I said, I wash my workout clothes every day. I even used Tide Sport with Fabreeze. I've soaked them in the vinegar and water, washed them in vinegar and the Tide Sport in HOT WATER. I've also air dried them, dried them on the clothesline outside, dried them in the drier with fabric sheets however whenever I start sweating it reactivates the previous funk.

Unless I sweat more than you hence the reason the funk is still in there?:huh:

I had problems with stinky clothes when I wore cotton workout shirts, so I moved on to try out the moisture -wicking tech tops, that have at least some higher percentage of polyester mixed with cotton. I find these stay fresh much better that pure cotton shirts. They cost a lot more though.

My workout clothes ARE moisture wicking and they still stink!:angry: <-- angry face not directed at you
  • SkinnyWannabeGal
    SkinnyWannabeGal Posts: 143 Member
    I wash my workout clothes as soon as I am done exercising. I wash in warm water with Cheer detergent and add Clorox2 or Oxy Clean to every load. I then immediately throw the clothes in the dryer with a dryer sheet. I don't use fabric softener in the washing machine. Never had a problem with smelly workout clothes when I follow this routine.
  • codapea
    codapea Posts: 182 Member
    Use just a little bleach to kill the bacteria and deodorize your workout clothes. Dilute 1/4 cup bleach in 2 cups of water and add that to the washer for a full load. Use less for smaller loads. I usually let the washer completely fill with water before I add the diluted bleach (top loader). It won't bleach your clothes or even lighten them if they are all the typical synthetic fabric they use for work out clothes like nylon/poly/lycra. If it is solid colored 100% cotton, don't use bleach. My husband works for the Forest Service and he has to work out in the field for 8 days in a row every other week. They camp so there is no shower after hiking in the mountains all day with his 80 lb. pack. On top of him being stinky he usually puts his sweaty, muddy clothes and socks in a plastic trash bag until he gets home! You wanna smell some funk... I'm an expert at getting the funk out of his work clothes after 10 years of washing them, haha.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    I spray them with febreze.
  • I've tried just about everything. The penguin detergent, oxyclean, quick n brite, tide for workout clothes. Some clothes just end up staying stinky forever, so I toss them. I've settled on oxyclean and rinsing them after I work out while showering. Also drying them in the dryer seems to help versus air drying.
  • timothydriver
    timothydriver Posts: 147 Member
    To all you people who say "You wash them" HOW do you get the funk out even after you wash them?

Unless I sweat more than you hence the reason the funk is still in there?:huh

Got you now sorry couldn't figure out what you meant the first time... I use tide pods or liquid detergent and downy unstopables it works well for me...