People can be cruel

Replies

• Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    In for rainbows and sparkly unicorn poop!!!!!!!!! Yayz!!!!!!!

Unicorn poop cookies are the best!
    But will they fit my macros? How about fiber?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    I'm British and can't be arsed to write supportive one liners to people I don't know every 3 seconds. All that virtual high-fiving and "go you!!!!" crap leaves my stiff upper lip decidedly cold.
    "No support, please, we're British!" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    OP, I can honestly say that I have been here for a fairly long time, and have seen genuine cruelty maybe 3 times. There is a lot of support here. Telling someone that something they are doing is ineffective IS support. Preventing another person from wasting their time and/or money on foolishness IS support.

People are sometimes sarcastic, but they don't come across as cruel, to me. They are just trying to inject some humour into something that isn't always fun. I think that people often read hostility into comments that, quite simply, isn't there. The people who take the time to respond to people's questions aren't doing it because they are unkind. They do it because they ARE, for the most part.

Twinketta, please don't bother. Thanks.

On MFP, disagreement = meanness and cruelty. You should always support someone in their efforts, no matter how futile, counter productive, or downright dangerous they may be.

I ran a marathon today and felt a bit tired as i haven't eaten for 3 years, would having a stick of celery be okay before i do my triathlon after work tomorrow?

I posted this as i wasn't sure what to do and guess what some nasty cruel bullying poster said i should eat at least two sticks of celery
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Where are all of these "People are so mean" threads and comments coming from? XD No clue what's going on, but it's pretty funny to say the least.

Make progress, not excuses. :P
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    OP, I can honestly say that I have been here for a fairly long time, and have seen genuine cruelty maybe 3 times. There is a lot of support here. Telling someone that something they are doing is ineffective IS support. Preventing another person from wasting their time and/or money on foolishness IS support.

People are sometimes sarcastic, but they don't come across as cruel, to me. They are just trying to inject some humour into something that isn't always fun. I think that people often read hostility into comments that, quite simply, isn't there. The people who take the time to respond to people's questions aren't doing it because they are unkind. They do it because they ARE, for the most part.

Twinketta, please don't bother. Thanks.

I feel obliged to reply, Contrarian. Let me tell you the reasons why..A lot of the time, including today I read posts from people who are ridiculed for asking questions that have been posted many times.

These same people feel that they are being ridiculed for asking simple questions that are new to them in their world of wanting to lose/put on weight.

People that have been using this website for a while feel it is fair play to use these new people as game and bait them making them seem stupid or inferior by the comments they post.

For me, I do not care if you any one chooses to make comments about anything I post, I was at one time overweight, and since I have used MFP I will always want to support others in their goals. Not to see them ridiculed for posting questions that have been made before.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    :yawn:
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member

And I care what you think because?

And we care about your lame grading system, because?

I never asked you to care about it x
    Yay the feelings are mutual.
  • I'm craving donuts

th?id=H.4968492315509687&pid=15.1
  • Dunsirn
    Dunsirn Posts: 82 Member
    OP is absolutely correct, people can be cruel.

I can confirm this after doing an extended tour in Afghanistan.

Whoa! Thank you for your service. Which branch?

PMRAFNS (princess marys royal air force nursing service) at the role 3 hospital in bastion, helmand.

some people said i came back more cynical than when i went - i prefer to think of it as having a healthy dose of ****ing perspective
  • MaiLinna
    Those are the grossest donuts I've ever seen. Where the **** do you shop? XD
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    I'm craving donuts

WHY ARE YOU SO MEAN?!??
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Oh dear. I generally steer clear, hence I have barely any posts and no friends...simply because a) I am not thick-skinned myself so I avoid opening myself up for criticism on the Internet, and b) I'm British and can't be arsed to write supportive one liners to people I don't know every 3 seconds. All that virtual high-fiving and "go you!!!!" crap leaves my stiff upper lip decidedly cold.

I lurk the boards for pure entertainment. Noobs would be well advised to search, read and learn before asking questions, and when they do post, expect 20% well-meaning but misguided support, 20% blunt but excellent advice, 20% dismissive, self-satisfied arrogant vitriol dressed up as "honesty", and 40% really, really funny gifs and good natured bickering.

One grows to love it. But if one more person mentions rainbows and unicorns in relation to the expectation of common courtesy, I'm seriously gonna pull a unicorn out of my white English butt and set fire to it. It has to be one of the most irritating expressions on the t'interweb.

Aren't they endangered? I'd just threaten to melt snowflakes.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member

PMRAFNS (princess marys royal air force nursing service) at the role 3 hospital in bastion, helmand.

some people said i came back more cynical than when i went - i prefer to think of it as having a healthy dose of ****ing perspective

My son is joining the Marines in a few months.
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member

Thank you for your service.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    I guess I am one of those mean people -- when I see another post about cleansing something by drinking cayenne pepper with lemon juice as your only nutrition, I think that whatever people post in response to that is too kind!

(After you see posts from like 50 of those idiots, you will start to feel that way too.)
  • I'm British and can't be arsed to write supportive one liners to people I don't know every 3 seconds. All that virtual high-fiving and "go you!!!!" crap leaves my stiff upper lip decidedly cold.
    "No support, please, we're British!" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Indeed...although for purposes of accuracy, may I clarify with "No support please, we're British and cannot muster sufficient emotion to respond in kind, due to our limited and stilted vocabulary. And to fail to respond would make us lose sleep. But thank you."

:blushing:
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member

Don't transfer your hate from your own issues onto the donuts
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    I'm craving donuts

WHY ARE YOU SO MEAN?!??
    Yep, pure sabotage. As bad as that guy eating ice cream in his profile pic. Bullies everywhere.
  • MaiLinna

Don't transfer your hate from your own issues onto the donuts

Bro you can't tell me you'd seriously eat those. :P Screw donuts - I want me some eclairs!
This discussion has been closed.