Banana diet

124»

Replies

• servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Sounds like a fantastic plan! Let us know how it works out.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Hello! I just found on the web some crazy videos about eating as much bananas as you can for days (even weeks) in order to lose weight.

I would really like to know if some of you did try a banana diet (only bananas!) and what happened.

Thx! :)

Fun fact 1) Because bananas contain potassium they can kill in high enough quantities... but it's an absurd amount.
    Fun fact 2) They're also astoundingly high in radiation compared to most other foods.
    Fun fact 3) The 'average' banana has about 110 calories. If you eat more than TDEE you gain weight no matter what it is.

Why does everyone want stupid fad diets?
  • haha I saw those videos. not worth it. :huh:
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    i probably did, back in the 70s, when i was a teen.

i tried all those crazy/crash/ridiculous diets.

will you lose weight? probably.

will you gain it back? probably. you will gain it back PLUS extra.

Is it healthy? no. it's ridiculously UNhealthy.

WHy would you want to do this?

It makes me so sad that this has been systematically true for generations of people. Glad we're learning differently now.
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    What could go wrong. :ohwell:
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    I think I saw that "banana diet" person on YouTube. It just seems a little crazy to me as banana's are high in calories. But they are pretty yummy and really good in smoothies. But to only eat them, probably not a good idea. But then again .. what do I know.
  • I tried this about 12 years ago,

I would eat bananas and have a banana milkshake (Home made Bananas and milk/water with a touch of honey for breakfast), a really large salad Bap for lunch with salad cream, and then I would hammer the cardio in the gym for at least 1hr a day (Running) (Cross trainer) (Cycling) and have another shake and Banannas for Tea.

The first week I had a bad gut and loads of gas, but yes the weight within 2 weeks dropped like a stone.

As soon as I stopped the weight came back and honestly it's not sustainable. A healthy varied diet is far better in my opinion.

It can be a good quick fix before say a Christmas party or Wedding but I wonder if there could be longer term effects shredding weight so quickly.
  • Another crazy diet - not just nutritionally but actually considering the calories in bananas
    if you ate as many 'as you like' I doubt you'd even lose weight

Another point - many many years ago where I lived there was a heatwave and a glut of
    bananas on the market so all the fruit and veg shops were selling them off
    really cheaply

So my Mum, bless her heart, bought loads of them

So we ate and ate loads of bananas before they all went bad

I can tell you the only thing we lost was the will to live !!!

And CONSTIPATED - OMG !!!! IT WAS ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE :devil:

Give this one a miss boys and girls !!!! :smile:
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    eating only bananas- not good... can lead to an overdose in potassium- which can be fatal- yes, i am being serious- learnt that during my sports science degree!!! so DON'T DO IT!!
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    One or two a day.... yes, But living on them..........No thanks!

They are very high in sugar too aren't they

Just eat your normal 3 healthy meals + fruit + exercise + water

You don't need to DIET!
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    I would have to smother them in peanut butter.

peanut butter fixes EVERYTHING

I agree... with one exception. Peanut butter cannot fix bacon. Bacon is perfect.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Hello! I just found on the web some crazy videos about eating as much bananas as you can for days (even weeks) in order to lose weight.

I would really like to know if some of you did try a banana diet (only bananas!) and what happened.

Thx! :)

It's borne of ignorance - eat 15-20 bananas a day and you'll likely be eating over your TDEE and put on weight. Also, you could suffer from heart problems. After 2 bananas a day, I get heart palpitations.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    I would eat bananas and have a banana milkshake (Home made Bananas and milk/water with a touch of honey for breakfast), a really large salad Bap for lunch with salad cream, and then I would hammer the cardio in the gym for at least 1hr a day (Running) (Cross trainer) (Cycling) and have another shake and Banannas for Tea.

The first week I had a bad gut and loads of gas, but yes the weight within 2 weeks dropped like a stone.

So you pretty much did a **** load of cardio and ate under your TDEE? Why wouldn't you lose weight? ;)
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    I eat 2 bananas a day because they're yummy with the things I use them on/in. I have a snack of 2 rice cakes w/ PB and I slice up a banana to use between the 2 rice cakes... then I use my 2nd banana in my shake. I actually could use the potassium since I get leg cramps (Charley Horses), but that's it per day. I eat lots of other good stuff, but my focus isn't bananas.

Unfortunately I know a guy who says he's a fruititarian (is that the right word?) and eats like 7 per day. When a few of us told him it was dangerous he got all pissy *shrug*
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    I heard of this and thought how incredibly stupid it was.
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    This has probably already been said but this is completely wrong. The banana diet is meant as a GAIN diet. Many vegan body-builders use it to build mass. Bananas are fairly high in calories relative to other fruits and are full of starch, so I don't predict successful weight loss eating 100 bananas per day lol.
  • rabblefish
    rabblefish Posts: 2 Member
    I've heard you can lose 10lbs if you cut off your head... actually I think I might try that.

Oh GOD. I'm dying. This made me laugh so hard that I sprayed coffee all over my laptop. Well done sir!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    This has probably already been said but this is completely wrong. The banana diet is meant as a GAIN diet. Many vegan body-builders use it to build mass. Bananas are fairly high in calories relative to other fruits and are full of starch, so I don't predict successful weight loss eating 100 bananas per day lol.

I am not vegan or vegetarian but I am posting because I like bananas and find them to be as easy way to consume a lot of calories when I am in a hurry.

Of course people can lose weight eating bananas in a caloric deficit. I currently am bulking and eat a lot of bananas in a caloric surplus. I have consumed over 10 in a day on numerous occasions.

There is nothing wrong with eating s lot of bananas. Just make sure you consume enough other foods so that you meet all your macro/micro nutrient requirements.