Corn is not a vegetable

Replies

• sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Corn is a grain and is not good for you..
    It's a high-glycemic grain

I'll take one for the team and eat your corn. I'll also eat your bacon since smoked/cured meats are carcinogens and not good for you. Oh, and your tomatoes and eggplant as they are nightshade vegetables and they are poisonous.

nightshade vegetables??? lol this is the first I'm hearing of this... anyone care to explain?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member

....says the person who only joined in August and has only 8 posts.

Seems Legit!
    mc-hammer-dancing-gif.gif
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    What do you use to fatten up cattle? CORN
    Get educated
    Most corn is gmo
    Grains are not an essential nutrient ....no one needs them to survive

Commercial cattle are fed corn, but they are fattier than their grass fed counterparts primarily due to lack of movement. Cattle that are allowed to roam and graze are leaner because they get more exercise.

We don't need fish to survive either, but that doesn't mean we are better off without it.
  • carlapendergrass
    carlapendergrass Posts: 42 Member
    Look at all the bullies in this thread! We're all here for the same reason. Why aren't you supporting the OP?????

if you don't have anything nice to say or you don't agree with her, you don't have to post. Just move on!

I don't think anyone is here to bully the OP, but you know perfectly well what the reaction on these threads will be if you post a blanket statement like "X is bad for you." with no information/research to back it up. This is no place for those who are thin-skinned.

(Someone had to say it, right?)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member

I'll take one for the team and eat your corn. I'll also eat your bacon since smoked/cured meats are carcinogens and not good for you. Oh, and your tomatoes and eggplant as they are nightshade vegetables and they are poisonous.

nightshade vegetables??? lol this is the first I'm hearing of this... anyone care to explain?

Well, I know they contain nicotine. Which is a toxin, but also protective. People who eat a lot of peppers have a reduced risk of Parkinson's disease because of the nicotine content. Nutrition is never black and white.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Get educated
    Most corn is gmo

Commercial cattle are fed corn, but they are fattier than their grass fed counterparts primarily due to lack of movement. Cattle that are allowed to roam and graze are leaner because they get more exercise.

We don't need fish to survive either, but that doesn't mean we are better off without it.

Also, while you can survive without corn/grains, it isn't the specific food. Grains contain nutrients that we DO need to survive and be healthy. You can get those nutrients from other sources, though, so you can live without the grains.

There isn't any one specific food or food group that we NEED to survive. We get our nutrients from the variety we eat, though. That includes grains.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Looking at OP's post history I am calling troll............or someone who read a blog post somewhere and thinks they know something.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Get educated
    Most corn is gmo

Not to argue with you, cause obviously corn is not right for you I see, but your statement doesn't have to do with being educated.

And, some cattle are fed corn for a variety of reasons. I don't eat that type of cattle, but that's another story.
    Not all corn is gmo. And I *try* not to eat gmo corn.
    I don't know any one particular food that is essential to survival. Doesn't mean that corn has no nutrients or value if you incorporate it into your diet. As a matter of fact, it is listed on the website I referred you to as one of the world's healthiest foods because of it's many nutrients.

With that said, I wouldn't suggest an all corn diet, or an all anything diet. But for people that choose to incorporate grains in their diet, there are benefits and I wouldn't advise them to stop eating corn.

As for me, I like corn and will continue to eat it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Don't mind me but by definition Corn is the following:

A veggie when harvested early for human consumption
    A grain when it's not harvested early

oh wait for it....

each kernal is considered a fruit

"according to Penn State University’s College of Agricultural Sciences, the answer to the question “Is corn a vegetable, a grain or a fruit?” is that it’s all three.

Corn is technically a fruit in that, botanically speaking, what we call grains, like corn, wheat and rice, are caryopses or the dried fruit of a plant. It’s a vegetable if it’s harvested early to be eaten fresh and it’s a grain if harvested only once it’s dried.

Of course, others insist on the grain classification and most New York politicians like the vegetable classification."
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Of course, others insist on the grain classification and most New York politicians like the vegetable classification."

I grew up across the street from a New York state cornfield.

Worst thing about it was fertilizing season. EEEEWWWWW!!!!!
  • sandytoshiko
    sandytoshiko Posts: 67 Member
    I wonder if trolls like corn?
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    <===== All "ears" here to learn why corn is bad!
  • Wi2Az
    Wi2Az Posts: 3 Member
    LOL! I was looking for the "Like" button and rememberd I'm not on FB. Hilarious!
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    I wonder if trolls like corn?
    Not directly. Trolls eat goats and goats eat corn. But then again, the biggest Billy Goat Gruff has something for his @$$...
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    LA-LA-LA-LA, not listening....
    article-0-0C5AF85D00000578-996_634x457.jpg
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    yes, high in carbs.
    But 1 cup has 48% of your daily DV fiber. And many other nutrients, so let's not just write it off as "bad".
    It's a staple of many cultures, such as some Latin American and Aftican countries.

Per http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5687/2
    I cup of corn has the following %DV :
    25% Iron
    43% Thiamin
    20% Riboflavin
    30% Niacin
    52% B6
    25% Iron
    53% Magnesium
    35% Potassium
    26% Copper
    40% Manganese
    37% Selenium
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    But why is it in my poop?

Because it has 48% of your daily DV of fiber !!
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    GMO-corn.jpg

This pretty much sums up my feelings about corn.

Corn has been altered so many times in a lab that it isn't even really "corn" anymore. I like to eat foods that are food, and anything that produces its own pesticides isn't a food to me.

That being said, corn on the cob with butter and salt is delicous....but I think the deliciousness comes from the butter and salt, not the corn itself.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Corn sucks . In the Irish Famine they tried to feed to the people and they wouldn't eat it.

I refuse to eat it .

Just like rich people refused to eat Lobster at one time and it was relegated to the poor folks....

BTW this is getting too close to attacking bacon.....better back off OP and Minnie