Need help with bagels..

Replies

• Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Thanks for all great suggestions..I am gonna post a little menu up here..some big fears will be facing but if you all follow my blog I will put up pics as do them. Will post that later to. Hitting the road with my bagels in tow.
    I think that's really great. I opened up my diary a while back so that it is completely public now. I am learning that food choices are never something to be ashamed of. There's no right or wrong, good or bad. It's just food, and it just doesn't have that power. It's been very liberating. I wish the same for you. :flowerforyou:
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Under "goals", you can choose a goal of gaining weight. Ex: .5 lb/ week etc.

:flowerforyou:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Also, in case anybody reads to here before posting (a vain hope, always!), the buttery and cheesy ideas are probably not going to work right now because my understanding is that the higher-fat choices are causing some digestive issues for OP still. She'll be able to work up to them, of course, and they'll be great choices when she can do them, but that's why some of us are recommending things like fruit purees, honey, and meat, to help her avoid those tummy problems.
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Maybe some tofu salad on top.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    So I am recovering from anorexia and the newest add to my meal plan is a daily bagel (they are 400 calorie ones) and I have to do a topping. Part of my new nutrition contract however is I can't use any "diet" products...which apparently means sugar-free syrup or fat free cream cheese. So I was wondering what people top bagels with? I can't do regular cream cheese due to dietary restrictions and I am not in a place in recovery to do high-fat things like regular PB, but I am open to suggestions for healthy toppings.

Toast the bagel and add on 1 or 2 scrambled eggs, cheese, and bacon. That should give you plenty of calories and provide you will a great source of calcium and protein. Sausage is also a great sub for bacon.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    If it's a 'plain' bagel, strawberry preserves with butter/margarine (I use margarine because it's easier to spread). Both, on the same bagel. Tastes awesome.

I prefer cinnamon raisin bagels though, toasted, with cream cheese. MMmmm. I know you said you can't have regular cream cheese though.

Also, maybe turn your bagel into mini-pizza! Little bit or marinara sauce, mozzarella cheese. with some pepperoni (turkey/regular) minis!
  • _errata_
    So I am recovering from anorexia and the newest add to my meal plan is a daily bagel (they are 400 calorie ones) and I have to do a topping. Part of my new nutrition contract however is I can't use any "diet" products...which apparently means sugar-free syrup or fat free cream cheese. So I was wondering what people top bagels with? I can't do regular cream cheese due to dietary restrictions and I am not in a place in recovery to do high-fat things like regular PB, but I am open to suggestions for healthy toppings.

Toast the bagel and add on 1 or 2 scrambled eggs, cheese, and bacon. That should give you plenty of calories and provide you will a great source of calcium and protein. Sausage is also a great sub for bacon.

I should have read the OP better. My recommendation would still be to add a lean source of protein. Tuna and fat-free mayo might be a good option for you. Is fat-free mayo considered a diet product?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Also, in case anybody reads to here before posting (a vain hope, always!), the buttery and cheesy ideas are probably not going to work right now because my understanding is that the higher-fat choices are causing some digestive issues for OP still. She'll be able to work up to them, of course, and they'll be great choices when she can do them, but that's why some of us are recommending things like fruit purees, honey, and meat, to help her avoid those tummy problems.

How about a butter substitute, I don't think all of those are considered a "diet" choice.

How about tzatziki sauce as a sour cream / mayo substitute?
  • _errata_
    Yogurt! Try putting some Chobani's on there. That actually sounds really tasty AND you could get a good source of protein without getting all of the fat.
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Love bagels with butter and black berry jam. I know you said no cream cheese, but maybe you can have whipped cream cheese? Not sure. You can use a little bit of yogurt instead of creamcheese and then top with fruit. Or cheese and fruit. You could do cottage cheese and friut. ( Yes I love topping my bagels with fruit- if you couldnt tell hahaha) But So far you have a lot of good suggest.ions
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    I saw your canned pumpkin thread. Why not top your bagel with some of that and add pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon and sugar? Might be worth a try.

Best wishes on your journey!
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    I am not a sweets fan, so I usually will do a jalapeno bagel, or an everything bagel, and top it with a tasty cream cheese like gearden vetgetable, or bacon and cheddar.

I have also made mine into sandwiches with cheese, eggs, and a slice of ham, or a couple of bacon slices.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member

Goat cheese is pretty easy on the digestion (fresh chevre) ... Goat cheese and honey/fruit spread makes a really good combo ... and for savory, goat cheese with roasted peppers (vinegar packed) and basil ... Tuna mixed with some yogurt (sounds weird, but it's like mayonnaise, just not as heavy) ...
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Strawberry preserves are excellent - Smuckers is the BEST! has lots of chunky fruit in it.

Cream cheese - you can go to a bagel take out place and they have various flavored cream cheese spreads, already made for you. (also called "shmear"). Any of them are so delicious.

Thats about it for my ideas - hope you got some good ones so far.
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Perhaps a little nutella, a serving is 2 tablespoons, but 1 tablespoon, which has 6 grams of fat, is plenty for me. Then add some sliced banana.

Since you said no cream cheese, I'll assume you mean no dairy. So, you could smear some mustard on both cut sides of the bagel, add some turkey, sliced pickles, more mustard (big fan of mustard here) then something like roasted red peppers, onions, spinach, asparagus, or whatever veggies you have. Add some non-stick spray or oil to a skillet and put in the sandwich. I then have a brick I've wrapped in foil and press it down on the sandwich, leaving it on while the sandwich heats through and toasts on one side. Flip over the sandwich, repeat on the other side until heated through and slightly toasted. It flattens out like a panini. Of course, it's easier if you have a panini maker...but I don't, and my brick works great.

Eat.
    Enjoy.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Hi5 OP on your recovery!!!!

Aside from the norms of butter, jelly/jam, peanut butter and such for bagels, I tend to just make big sandwiches out of them. Thinking of it that way will hopefully give you a different avenue of thought in regards to what to eat with your bagel.

Tuna, deli meats, roasted chicken, etc with maybe some mayo or mustard and topped with things like cheese (soy if lactose intolerant), sauerkraut, tomatoes, etc. I also like to substitute mayo with laughing cow cheeses.

If the bagels are the sweet type rather than plain or savory, there's always chocolate, whipped cream and strawberries. :bigsmile:
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    You marvelous, wonderful girl! Congratulations on taking your life back.

For my two bits, echoing someone earlier - Nutella. If anything can create/rekindle a fondness for food, that spread is it :-)
  • kawicoff
    kawicoff Posts: 2 Member
    avacado with a little sala :happy:
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Congrats and many flowers for you. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

My favorite go to is Smuckers Orchard Triple Berry Preserves....It's pretty awesome!

Philadelphia also has a strawberry spread that is fantastic...I don't know the fat content on those so it might be too much for you right now if digestion is still an issue.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    this thread really needs pictures...

open faced bagel melt
    Open-Face-Bologna-Bagel-Melt-58489.jpg