What did you do with your old clothes?

Before my weight-loss, I was a size XL-XXL. I stiill have some clothes as I progressed (i.e. large, medium, etc.) but the ones that are too big now, now that I've reached my goal weight, are just collecting dust. What have you done with your clothes?

I donated a majority of my XL-XXL clothes but there's that little fear in me that I might gain weight again and I may need the larger clothes in the near future. However, I don't plan on ever being that big again. It's just one of those things that stay in your mind for a while after you've finally reached your goal weight. That fear of becoming big again.

So anyway, did you give/sell your old clothes or do you have them stashed away somewhere "in case?"

Replies

• TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    I sold my clothes at a consignment shop for in store credit towards new clothes. That way, I'm not without clothes and I'm not spending a fortune on new clothes.

Also, if you need new clothes while still losing, places like TJ Maxx and Ross Dress For Less have some very affordable options.
  • notdieting
    notdieting Posts: 116 Member
    Charity shop or bin, depending on their state! Kept a few bits for DIY clothes (mucky jobs like painting or plastering) and the rest....gone!!

PMA - Positive Mental Attitude....you will NOT need them again so throw them out! xxx
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    There is this TV Show on cable TV - Clean House. The hostess only lets you keep one size up and one size down ... I chose neither. Not going back, not keeping anything too big .. It's got a fit, and it 's got to make me feel beautiful.. I have one silk austin reed suit 3 sizes too big I want to have altered.

All my too big clothes are given away. People need nice clothes from the Goodwill and Salvation Army... I know I bought a few things there as I lost weight and continue to go back to see if there are any things in my new size!
  • Golfergurl68
    Golfergurl68 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi! Over the past year I've lost almost 60 pounds, but I've just started on myfitnesspal. Just today I turned 4 garbage bags of big clothes in to Salvation Army. When you bring in a list of all items donated and have it verified, you can use this as a charitable donation when you itemize your taxes. I just turned in clothes valued at $950! Yeah, there are a few items I'll miss, but I've rediscovered my love of shopping so I'm sure I'll find some to replace them :happy:
  • Sarahwantshealth
    Sarahwantshealth Posts: 41 Member
    I never get rid of my "skinny" clothes but toss my "fat" ones as soon as they don't fit!
  • Sarahwantshealth
    Sarahwantshealth Posts: 41 Member
    I never get rid of my "skinny" clothes but toss my "fat" ones as soon as they don't fit!

By toss I mean, st Vinnys or our local woman's shelter!
  • het100
    het100 Posts: 20 Member
    I donated my closet-full of clothes to Big Brothers/Big Sisters but kept one pair of pants (which fit me like a potato sack) to remind me of how big I was and as inspiration to keep the weight off.
  • Anjellic1
    Anjellic1 Posts: 14 Member
    Perfect timing...I cleaned out my closet yesterday and have at least 9 feet of tightly folded clothes waiting to go somewhere!! In the back of my mind I have that same fear...what if I gain it back!! Most I don't have an issue with getting rid of, it's the "comfort" ones that are giving me grief, they are like old friends in which I know I could hide. =)
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    I sent all mine to my family in Fiji.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Every Spring & Fall I go through both of my closets and thin them. Not just for size, but style and wear.... Anything worth donating, I donate to a women's shelter that gives them to women interviewing and re-entering to the work force. I don't want anyone to have to pay for them... and as a survivor, it's my little way of giving back.
  • WenHurley
    WenHurley Posts: 166 Member
    I donated my closet-full of clothes to Big Brothers/Big Sisters but kept one pair of pants (which fit me like a potato sack) to remind me of how big I was and as inspiration to keep the weight off.

I did the same (except it was GoodWill), but I do have 1 pair of pants I have tucked in a drawer to remind me of where I do not want to be. I also think when I finally get to my goal weight, they will help make a great before and after pic.
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    I go to clothing swaps with friends.
  • Anjellic1
    Anjellic1 Posts: 14 Member
    EmilyJackCO what a marvelous idea, I think I'll look into doing that!! =)
  • het100
    het100 Posts: 20 Member
    That before/after picture is a great idea!

[/quote]

I did the same (except it was GoodWill), but I do have 1 pair of pants I have tucked in a drawer to remind me of where I do not want to be. I also think when I finally get to my goal weight, they will help make a great before and after pic.
    [/quote]
  • shadowharuka
    shadowharuka Posts: 92 Member
    I'm not quite to my maintenance point yet, however I've been selling my clothes to used name brand clothing shop and using the cash or in store credit to buy new or like new clothes, which I think is awesome,
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    I am still working toward my goal, but as I've progressed I've been sorting out clothing that doesn't fit, or make me comfortable. I've let my friends look through my give away pile first. If they've found something they like, they take it. The rest I've donated to our church clothing ministry. In exchange for that, when I've needed new clothing, they let me get what I need. I also take my children's too small clothing there for donation also.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    I donated every few months to Red Cross. Filled up numerous garbage bags stuffed and dropped them off. I haven't missed them at all.

I did keep 1 pair of my largest jeans, but that's just as a comparison. I'll never actually wear them again :smile:
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    I own a sewing machine.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    I put them in one of the many donation bins that can be found around parking lots around here.
  • mokoko123
    mokoko123 Posts: 77 Member
    I've donated mine to the local shelter. Some of my "work" scrubs I passed on to coworkers