What did you do with your old clothes?

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    I just sold my winter coats; those are always in high demand, because plus-size winter coats generally aren't cheap. I've either sold, given away, trashed, altered or replaced most of my pre-weight-loss clothing. I'm definitely not hanging on to them once I shrink out of them. I never liked most of them that much in the first place! If it fit, I bought it. I'll be glad to be done with that method of shopping. :)

ETA: I kept one pair of denim capris I wore at my highest weight for my "look how big I was!" after shot.
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Chucked them.

Because I have a horrible habit of hoarding things and 90% of the stuff I threw out I hadn't worn in years and would not have been suitable to donate (holes, stains, and so on). I'd packed the majority of them up, but they'd been sitting under my bed out of sight and mind for ages.

Stuff that wasn't completely awful got snapped up by friends. Of course, I didn't say it in a 'these are my fat clothes' way. It was just a casual, 'Sorry about the mess, I'm having a cleanout before I move. So if you want anything on the pile, it's yours'.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    All mine are GONE. I am not going to temp fate. There is NO going back!
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    I'm not quite to my maintenance point yet, however I've been selling my clothes to used name brand clothing shop and using the cash or in store credit to buy new or like new clothes, which I think is awesome,

This is what I've een *trying* to do. Nobody will take my clothes because they're too dressy for one place and not "mature" enough for the other! Kudos to those who donate...I'm clearly not as charitable. As much money as I spent on some of these clothes, I'd like to get something for them so I can replenish what I've cleaned out.
  • KMMRN
    KMMRN Posts: 104 Member
    During a previous weight loss of 60 lbs, my nursing uniforms got so big they were slipping off my shoulders.....I used safety pins to hold them up. I didn't want to invest in new clothes until I finished losing weight.

Unbeknownst to me, our Unit Manager bought me three new uniforms......when she presented them to me the rest of the staff cut off my old one with surgical scissors.

We then had a Congratulation Ceremony with vegetable and fruit plates.

What a team!
  • zombiesalad
    zombiesalad Posts: 123 Member
    I donate or consign them. I've kept all of my smaller clothes, but I get rid of the larger ones as soon as I'm out of them.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    A few of my good pieces I sold on eBay. Everything else I donated to Goodwill.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Goodwill.
  • markink81
    markink81 Posts: 73 Member
    Gave mine to Goodwill and some local homeless shelters.
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    I donated mine to the Army so they could use them for parachutes.:blushing:
  • Aparz1
    Aparz1 Posts: 949
    I sold them on eBay... If they are designer you can get around $80-$200 back per dress... Not sure about pants though because I'm always in dresses. Then you have cash for whatever you want. If they are not designer I donate to charity.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Donate them or you can cut them into workout clothes.
  • KMMRN
    I donated mine to the Army so they could use them for parachutes.:blushing:

Hahahaha!
  • KMMRN
    Gave mine to Goodwill and some local homeless shelters.
    If I can lose enough wait I might donate mine to Goodwill to use AS homeless shelters.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Donated some and gave some of my smaller sized pants to my mom.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    I can still wear mine. Once I can't wear them, I'll dump them in one of those charity bins.
    If I can lose enough wait I might donate mine to Goodwill to use AS homeless shelters.
    :laugh:
  • operaprincess1
    operaprincess1 Posts: 89 Member
    Tailored what I could to fit my current size. Gave away what I couldn't to goodwill, and repurposed what was a bit too tattered. Turned one dress into a really cute apron, a raggy pair of jeans into pot holders, and gave away some as costumes to a local theater group that were more of a vintage style.
  • bernied262
    bernied262 Posts: 882 Member
    I am a bit of a shopaholic, some of my old clothes still has the tags attached. Those were passed to family/friends. The rest goes to charity.
  • The bulk of my weight was lost 2 yrs ago, I stuffed all the clothes in large bags and sat them in the basement, when the roommate did spring cleaning this year she took it all to Goodwill saying I was never going to go back there again (since I had maintained for 2 yr). Just the other night I packed up the remaining 14/16s I had and will be donating to Goodwill. Its a scary thing, but I motivate myself by saying I don't have the money to buy back all the big stuff, but unfortunately it backfires on the whole I want to lose more and will need more new smaller clothes lol.
  • KBGAgent
    KBGAgent Posts: 165 Member
    Asked on FB who wanted them. 3 friends said yes, so, they each got a garbage bag full.