Asthma and Running !

2»

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Wow thank you everyone for such a great response.

I have tried my doctor but all he tells me is im a sensitive person because I have Asthma, hay-fever, Eczema and high-blood pressure which all run in the family, he says stay clear of running and just do what you can that does not bring it on (he is an *kitten*)

Don't like this response especially now so many of you do run, going to take it slow and follow your advices.

The best thing I did for my asthma is learn to run. I'm actually off my daily meds now because of it (do have to start back up if I get a cold though).

I've done this gradually. My advice:

1. Know your triggers (colds and allergies for me)
    2. Take your fast acting inhaler 15 mins before start
    3. If you are on a maintenance drug, take it religously!
    4. Measure your peakflow every day (I can predict attacks based on this, I know when not to run)
    5. If you start to get sick, rest (I ended up with pneumonia and was out for 4 weeks during hm training due to this)
    6. Most important - run slow! Slower than you think you need to, basically a shuffle. I started between 13-15 min miles now I'm down to 8 for short distances 9:45 to 10 for long
    7. Do a gradual program like c25k.
    8. Consider finding a pulmonaligst that supports your goals.

Good luck!

Best advice! I have severe asthma and allergic to just about everything.

My pulmonary doctor is the person that recommended I start running. I always do a nebulizer treatment 15 minutes before I do any exercise and lately haven't needed the one immediately after so it is working!
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    I hit my inhaler before starting, and then just keep it nearby in case I need it. I would check with your doctor too. In the beginning I had a hard time running distance with it even with the inhaler, but over time I have been able to build up to running miles and being fine.

The above is the same for me. I also remember to take an allergy med before since its allergies COMBINED with the exertion that set mine off. Since your doc is obviously not "for" your exercise improvement (the oddest advice from a doctor I've ever heard!!), build gradually - you may have to start walking then walking/jogging intervals to get where you want to be. As my doc put it "don't be afraid to try anything, but be willing to modify everything until you can get it."
  • mandimuscles
    mandimuscles Posts: 107 Member
    Yes! It's funny, I actually find biking MUCH harder on my lungs than much else, totally opposite! :) (I think too much cold air comes in when I breathe in thru my mouth) BUT, when running, breathe in thru your nose as much as you can and out thru the mouth. Scarf is a good idea too if that can't happen. Counting breaths with steps helped me a lot. Steady in and steady out. Run SLOW. If you feel out of breath, slow down. The C25K is a great program because it allows you to slow down a little and catch your breath. For me, I also wear a Heart Rate Monitor too, I find watching where my heart rate is, I base my activity on that and can keep it under control. Mine is higher than anyone else I work out with, we think it's because of the asthma, but at 170-180, I'm at my max and need to slow it back down to 150-160. I can keep up the high intensity a few minutes but then I know to get back down and not go over 180. Once you get in and try a few different things, you'll quickly figure out what works for you and stick with it. I know it's not easy, but I wish you luck! :)
  • sleepyotter
    sleepyotter Posts: 76 Member
    I had an inhaler as a kid, and I used to be AWFUL at running.

I do think C25K offers a really good approach. Walk a lot, run a little, work your way up to walk a little, run a little, and work your way up to walk a little, run a lot. Last week I ran for almost three miles straight, which I never thought I'd be able to do, I always struggled to complete just one mile. Repeat weeks if you need to.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    I usually take 2 puffs of my inhaler before I run. I take 3 deep breaths before inhaling and make sure my last breath out is long, then when I inhale I take a long long deep breath and hold it as long as I possibly can and even sometimes suck in a little more air. I feel like this works the best. If I'm sick or my allergies are acting up (which flares up my asthma) I'll take 3 puffs. I then bring the inhaler with me just in case I need it during; which is rare. This seems to be the best method. Also, if you're like me with the allergy/cold issue that triggers it make sure you stay on top of your regime. If you have allergies that trigger it take your allergy medicine (prescription or OTC) EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Every case is different, so this is speaking from experience and the best I can give based on that. Wish you luck; I know it's no fun.
  • I have asthma and it's always recommend to take your inhaler before running. Running has made my asthma sooooo much better, I no longer need my inhaler before running or at any other time.

I don't know what prescription you have but it usually says do not take more than 1 dose in 4 hours. I mean if you are having an asthma attack on your run that would be fine but every time you get breathless you have to realize it's not always the asthma. Running is hard and new on your lungs if you haven't run much before.

Start with smaller distances and build up!
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member

I read on a website once that you should try wearing a cotton scarf or neck scarf across your mouth so it warms the air slightly before it enters your lungs as the cold air as you run can bring on the Asthma anyone heard this one before. I think if I try this anyone walking past will think "I just gone on the rob" (stole something.... for people outside the UK) lol

Yes, I've heard this, tried it, and it helps. I'll use like those head bands or ear warmers Idk what they're called and just put that on my nose/mouth. I generally try to not run in the cold as I live in Wisconsin though ahah. My grandma has emphysema and when she was active before she had other medical complications she would do this, too.
  • slimandfab13
    slimandfab13 Posts: 25 Member
    I also have exercise-induced asthma but only suffer from it when running. So I just mostly stick to walking and other cardio exercises.
  • ginakiki
    ginakiki Posts: 226 Member
    same here asthma sucks