10k Freak Out!

I have been training since July to run this 10k this weekend. I didn't see the race day schedule because they hadn't posted it until last week. I ran my first 5k yesterday and did really good for myself. In fact I totally met and surpassed my goal! So I was pumped. It taught me a lot about running a race. So I started working on a plan for my 10k. Stay in the way back and go at my own pace and enjoy the ride. I looked at the schedule for the 10k this morning and this is what it says:

8:00 a.m. Registration & Packet Pickup open
8:45 a.m. Opening ceremonies and Warm up

9:30 a.m. Walk Start

9:45 a.m. 10K Run Start

9:50 a.m. 5K Run Start

10:30 a.m. Runner awards from stage

10:40 a.m. CeCe Peniston performs

So now....I'm freaking out! First of all why are the walkers going before the runners? Maybe the walkers are on a different 5k course? I hope so. Am I right by saying they must be assuming that the all the 10k runners will be able to finish in under 45 minutes? I'm no where near a 45 minute 10k pace. Should I even bother? I'm not even at an hour pace. Far from it! At yesterday's race when they gave aways the awards it was at the very end of the day and after that they were packing up stuff. I mean obviously if they are going to have a concert at 10:40 they won't be packing up after the awards but still I'm feeling a lot of pressure. Should I even bother showing up? Someone please calm me down!!!

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Not sure why they are starting the walkers first, unless they are on a different course. Or it may be that they will have them all stay to one side and out of the way of the runners.

Either way, don't stress about it or your time. I can't imagine they would do the rewards before everyone has finished - maybe the schedule is wrong? Does seem odd to have the awards 45 minutes after the start. I'd contact the race director or someone associated with it and ask them these questions.

But no matter what, I'd still go - you'll have a great time no matter what!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    walkers take longer (obviously)

but I don't know why they would release them on the same path before the runners- that seems silly.

All the events I have attended 10 K went first 5K run/walk went at the same time.

Don't panic- just use it as an opportunity to practice your zombie dodging skills- and pretend all the walkers are zombies!

Don't worry about finishing in a certain time- the goal is to finish right? SO just go run and relax. You can do anything as long as you put your mind to it- even my friend who burns out super fast on 5ks (her 'pace myself button' doesn't work well) knows that if she had to- she could finish a 10K.

If you did the 5- you can do the 10- you may not break any speed records doing it but that's irrelevant- if you ran a 5- you'll be fine on the 10. :D

DO EEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
  • Don't freak out!! I ran my first 10Ks this year. I have my first 1/2 on Saturday. I only compete with me. Usually awards don't start until everyone is finished. The organizers may be thinking that everyone who would get some sort of award will be finished in 45 min. They may not think that others may want to attend the awards anyway.

Do the race. Compete with you. You've got this.
  • And, they had everyone starting at the same time! The 10K route split from the 5K. The guy I was beside was supposed to run the 5K, but he made a wrong turn. :laugh: He finished, though.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    I have been training since July to run this 10k this weekend. I didn't see the race day schedule because they hadn't posted it until last week. I ran my first 5k yesterday and did really good for myself. In fact I totally met and surpassed my goal! So I was pumped. It taught me a lot about running a race. So I started working on a plan for my 10k. Stay in the way back and go at my own pace and enjoy the ride. I looked at the schedule for the 10k this morning and this is what it says:

8:00 a.m. Registration & Packet Pickup open
    8:45 a.m. Opening ceremonies and Warm up

9:30 a.m. Walk Start

9:45 a.m. 10K Run Start

9:50 a.m. 5K Run Start

10:30 a.m. Runner awards from stage

So now....I'm freaking out! First of all why are the walkers going before the runners? Maybe the walkers are on a different 5k course? I hope so. Am I right by saying they must be assuming that the all the 10k runners will be able to finish in under 45 minutes? I'm no where near a 45 minute 10k pace. Should I even bother? I'm not even at an hour pace. Far from it! At yesterday's race when they gave aways the awards it was at the very end of the day and after that they were packing up stuff. I mean obviously if they are going to have a concert at 10:40 they won't be packing up after the awards but still I'm feeling a lot of pressure. Should I even bother showing up? Someone please calm me down!!!

First - calm down!

Second - I've run a ton of races (91 to be exact) and the start times are based on the course and availability. If the race is taking place at a preserve or public streets where they were able to shut down the entire course and limit it strictly to the event, they have a limited time to do so. So they may start the runners first to give them enough time to complete the course. The runners will obviously finish before them. Also, if the entire street is shut down you can have walkers on one side and runners on the other side without any conflict so long as they walkers are the stupid kind that can't stay out of the way. Based on the schedule, it sounds like they have shut down an entire area and banned the public and that's why all the times seem so close together. Secondly, Don't worry about when they're announcing the rewards. Most likely if you haven't finished under 40 minutes, you're probably not getting an award anyways and who cares whoever else got the award. The only competitor you have in races is yourself. Unless you are an elite runner, you are only competing for your best time possible. So focus on celebrating your time whatever it is. You won't be the last to finish as long as you keep running. Also the runners are obviously not going to make it to rewards ceremony either. So get out there and do your best. Its as simple as one foot in front of the other and we here on MFP will be cheering you along the entire way! Feel free to add me if you like :)
  • codapea
    codapea Posts: 182 Member
    It seems like they have the start times set like that so they can award the 1st place finishes all at the same time, at 10:30. Having the walkers start first would give them enough time to get to the finish at the same time as the 10K and 5K runners. Maybe they need to get those awards out right away because of the musical guest. Regardless, you should definitely do the race! I am positive you are not expected to be running the 7 minute mile pace it would take to finish in 45 minutes. I am a slow runner too, and it used to discourage me, but I love to run and that is all that matters. Go and enjoy yourself, and remember that you don't have to go fast, you just have to go!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    45 minutes from 10K start to the awards doesn't sound right unless they are only placing top 3 overall and no age groups. Last 10K I was at there were only a handful of people finishing under 50 min.
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    No- I do not think they expect everyone to finish in 45 minutes. Unless it was a race only for professional athletes.

However some of the fast runners WILL have finished by 35 minutes or so from set off. So the awards will probably only be going to the Speedy Gonzales of the day anyway.

My first 10k race took me 1 hour and 6 minutes - which was quite fast enough for me. It was an 'out and back' race - and by the time we in the rear pens had got to set off there were the fast runners on the home straight.

Sounds like they have apacked schedule with the music act - I remember Ce Ce Peniston.. Rush back to watch her :)

Overall, enjoy the run. It's a big achievement to complete a 10K. Just remember that :)
  • Don't freak out!

It is odd that they are releasing the 5k before the 10k and I am sure they don't expect a 10k finish in 40 minutes. The walkers went first at the local marathon to give them enough time, so that's probably why they're doing this (although I haven't seen it done at the 5k level).

As for the time limits, you can ask them if you are worried, but likely the worst thing that will happen when they 'close the course' is that you will have to run on the sidewalk the last bit. I don't see that as being an issue, but that's probably the only possible problem. They wont' kick you off or anything. So have fun and don't worry!
  • tr66
    tr66 Posts: 23 Member
    I hope it's true that there is no such thing as a dump question; so here goes my dumb question!

I am just starting week (3) of the Couch-to-5K program, and I honestly do not have a clue what pace I should aim towards to be able to actually run in a 5K. At 47 years old I can honestly say, I have never run in my entire life. I am not out to win any 5K races, but I would at least like to know what pace should I aim towards. I have a HR strap and a GPS to track my pace and distance, what I lack is some knowledge of what is considered running for beginners!
  • sunnyskies1780
    sunnyskies1780 Posts: 24 Member
    I wouldn't worry about any of it. I have never ever been done by an awards ceremony and have never missed it. If it is a larger event, they are giving out money to elite runners. The awards ceremony should in no way make it seem like they want you to finish by then.

I run in a large 10K every year - The Beach to Beacon and the field is over 6,000 people. The winning time was just over 28 minutes. I finished about 35 minutes later.

Just forget there is an awards ceremony. You will do great, run your own speed, and don't worry about anything else.
  • bongochick45
    bongochick45 Posts: 130 Member
    Thanks guys! It's big charity run/walk which means all different levels are going to be there. I looked up the results from last year and only a few people finished under an hour. So that made me feel a bit better. Thanks for the support guys, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is a strange schedule. :)
  • DesireeNL
    DesireeNL Posts: 220 Member

:huh: What kind of performance is this? lol :wink:

And good luck of course!!
  • blackNBUK
    blackNBUK Posts: 58 Member
    I hope it's true that there is no such thing as a dump question; so here goes my dumb question!

I am just starting week (3) of the Couch-to-5K program, and I honestly do not have a clue what pace I should aim towards to be able to actually run in a 5K. At 47 years old I can honestly say, I have never run in my entire life. I am not out to win any 5K races, but I would at least like to know what pace should I aim towards. I have a HR strap and a GPS to track my pace and distance, what I lack is some knowledge of what is considered running for beginners!

I really wouldn't worry about your pace at this early stage of C25K. The programme is mostly about getting you on your feet and building up your stamina so you can run the longer distances. You're better off completing all the running sections than trying to go faster and having to stop more often. With experience you'll get a feel for what pace is natural for you and now far you can push it.

However if are absolutely determined to have a goal to aim at I would read up about age grading. This compares your performance with the world record for your age and gender. For example 100% would be world record pace for your age/gender while 50% would be twice as slow. I've recently finish C25K and found that my age grading was about 50% which I'm more than happy about!

PS: If you're just asking about what pace you need to do to take part in a 5K race then I wouldn't be too concerned. Many 5K events are pretty informal and there are plenty of people who walk at least parts of it. If you can get to 8 or 9 minutes per km then I don't think you'll have any problems.