Make ahead freezer meals?

jessica182517
jessica182517 Posts: 390 Member
Does anyone have any good recipies or ideas for meals to make ahead and freeze? I want to start doing this maybe cooking or preparing meals once a month and having them ready to go. I think it will make my life easier for winter.

Replies

• OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    ^BUMP^ for ideas! :)
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    I dont really make entire meals but if I want to make soup or chili in the crock pot (mostly cooking for 1) I usually split it up and freeze it, I don't have any special recipes to share though, I just google stuff
  • baked chicken breast
    brown rice
    steamed broccolli/cauliflower/carrots

i make like 21 in advance and just leave them in the freezer
    dont heat it in the microwave it will taste like ****. heat it in the stove, chicken is surprisingly juicy
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Try onceamonthmeals.com - they have all sorts of recipes (including paleo, vegetarian, etc.)
    You have to be a member to get access to some of their content - but not the recipes
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    I do this for breakfast weekly. Early Monday ( like ridiculously early ) I bust out with the muffin tin and dump 2 eggs with about 1/2 cup of green peppers/red peppers/onions and bake. I also cook up 10 slices of bacon. When it's all done, I portion it out in some ziploc bags and reheat for M-F.

I've never had luck freezing anything long term for dinner though, hopefully people will put up some great ideas and I can try this out haha.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Hi, Jessica...I teach classes in Once A Month Cooking (OAMC). The easiest way to start is to simply make a double batch of whatever it is you are making. Most anything you find in the freezer section at the supermarket can be frozen at home. A few tips to make things easier and ensure your product is consistent:

*Freeze things on a sheet tray whenever possible, then pour into a container or freezer bag. This allows you to take out what you need later, without having to thaw the whole thing.
    *Most veggies need to be blanched. Just dip the veggies into boiling water for 30-60 seconds to preserve texture and color when you reheat it.
    *Containers and freezer bags are essential. You don't need to have a seperate deep freezer to accomplish this. i've stored a months worth of meals in a regular freezer above my fridge in freezer bags, stacked upright, like records. I buy good freezer bags...seal product in a cheaper zipper bag and then put them into the good freezer bag. You can reuse freezer bags this way. Double wrapping items keeps them fresher longer.
    *Label and date your products. Most items in a home freezer will last 1-6 months in the freezer. I try to keep it down to 1-3 months. THe defrost cycle on residential freezers can age food a little faster because the temperautres don't stay as consistent. Keep in mind, First In, First Out. Use older product first.

Aside from double or triple batching recipes, you can also shoot for a smaller goal...try cooking for the week first and see how it goes. Lastly, and my favorite way to bulk cook, is "ingredient style". This means I cook 20 pounds of ground beef at a time and package it in meal sized portions. I spend a weekend cooking and /or seasoning veggies, ground beef, chicken breasts, turkey and fish, then package it away for future use. I prefer it because I can mix and match my meals, rather than be stuck with 5 lasagnas at the end of the month.

My favorite story regarding the ingredients style method: I was really, really sick when I was pregnant with my daughter. My husband had to open a bag of rice, open a bag of prepped peppers and onions and open a bag of sliced beef, add a cup of water and cover it. Dinner was done with very little fuss, muss and cleanup.

If you like, I can dig out my lesson plan and can send it to you, if you would like more information.
  • SHRINKINGG1
    SHRINKINGG1 Posts: 48 Member
    teresamwhite I would love a copy of your information. I will pm you my email. Thanks!
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    My husband does this for me --- he made a big pot of stew, portioned it out by the cup into ziplock baggies, and put them in the freezer!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,599 Member
    In my house we do stews and braised chicken recipes which freeze well. When serving you just need to add some fresh veg and starch for the non dieting members of the household. I'm afraid you will need to google for recipes.

Coq Au Vin
    Chicken Teriyaki
    Chicken Tagine
    Beef Stew
  • DeeC01
    DeeC01 Posts: 70 Member
    bump for ideas :)

I would also love you lesson plan if you have it handy
  • jessica182517
    jessica182517 Posts: 390 Member
    Hi, Jessica...I teach classes in Once A Month Cooking (OAMC). The easiest way to start is to simply make a double batch of whatever it is you are making. Most anything you find in the freezer section at the supermarket can be frozen at home. A few tips to make things easier and ensure your product is consistent:

*Freeze things on a sheet tray whenever possible, then pour into a container or freezer bag. This allows you to take out what you need later, without having to thaw the whole thing.
    *Most veggies need to be blanched. Just dip the veggies into boiling water for 30-60 seconds to preserve texture and color when you reheat it.
    *Containers and freezer bags are essential. You don't need to have a seperate deep freezer to accomplish this. i've stored a months worth of meals in a regular freezer above my fridge in freezer bags, stacked upright, like records. I buy good freezer bags...seal product in a cheaper zipper bag and then put them into the good freezer bag. You can reuse freezer bags this way. Double wrapping items keeps them fresher longer.
    *Label and date your products. Most items in a home freezer will last 1-6 months in the freezer. I try to keep it down to 1-3 months. THe defrost cycle on residential freezers can age food a little faster because the temperautres don't stay as consistent. Keep in mind, First In, First Out. Use older product first.

Aside from double or triple batching recipes, you can also shoot for a smaller goal...try cooking for the week first and see how it goes. Lastly, and my favorite way to bulk cook, is "ingredient style". This means I cook 20 pounds of ground beef at a time and package it in meal sized portions. I spend a weekend cooking and /or seasoning veggies, ground beef, chicken breasts, turkey and fish, then package it away for future use. I prefer it because I can mix and match my meals, rather than be stuck with 5 lasagnas at the end of the month.

My favorite story regarding the ingredients style method: I was really, really sick when I was pregnant with my daughter. My husband had to open a bag of rice, open a bag of prepped peppers and onions and open a bag of sliced beef, add a cup of water and cover it. Dinner was done with very little fuss, muss and cleanup.

If you like, I can dig out my lesson plan and can send it to you, if you would like more information.

Thanks for all the helpful info! :) I would LOVE to see your lesson plan. :)
  • rorae
    rorae Posts: 34 Member
    bump for reply's
  • ladyredeemed4
    ladyredeemed4 Posts: 72 Member
    I like to take muffin tins, spray with Pam, put about 1/2 full of spinach (that has been rinsed, drained and dried), mushrooms on that, a pinch of low fat mozz. chz and then I mix egg beaters in a bowl with some skim milk and pour in each tin to the top. 350 about 17 min. When you insert a knife in middle and it comes out clean - then it's done. Let cool off, put 2 in a ziplock freezer bag and stick in freezer. When I take to work, I take out a pack, put in container - frozen, add about 2-4 tablespoons of salsa and heat up later when I am ready to eat. The salsa just does something amazing to it. This is super yummy, low in calories and high in vitamins.
    I also measure out 1/4 cup instant oatmeal, 1 tbs peanut butter, 1 tsp chia seeds and 1 tsp of splenda and put in a baggie. I keep them in my desk drawer for snack or meal. I heard it off the John Tesh radio show once about Peanut butter and oatmeal and I thought gross..... but try it - it is wonderful. I have gotten 3 other co-workers to eat like this.
  • wrests
    wrests Posts: 84 Member
    This may not be helpful, but there's a book called Saving Dinner that's pretty much all about this..it has a weekly shopping list organized by season so produce will be fresh and cheap, and a bunch of make-ahead meals
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    I do this for breakfast weekly. Early Monday ( like ridiculously early ) I bust out with the muffin tin and dump 2 eggs with about 1/2 cup of green peppers/red peppers/onions and bake. I also cook up 10 slices of bacon. When it's all done, I portion it out in some ziploc bags and reheat for M-F.

I've never had luck freezing anything long term for dinner though, hopefully people will put up some great ideas and I can try this out haha.

That sounds like an awesome idea, but I have a question: How does the texture/taste fair after a few days? Is it still relatively the same?
  • laurenptravers
    laurenptravers Posts: 3 Member
    My two favourite go to freeze ahead meals are Vegetable curry with brown rice, and turkey chilli con carne. Both freeze well and reheat well.

Vegetable curry with brown rice:
    1 brown onion diced
    300gm kent pumpkin diced (or sweet potato)
    1 x 400gm can cannelini beans (drained)
    2 medium carrots halved and cut into rounds
    2 medium potatos cut into cubes
    1/4 green cabbage thinly slices
    1 cup green beans halved
    2 x 400gm tins chopped tomatos
    2 TBSP curry paste
    1 2tsp olive oil

1 cup brown rice boiled for 45mins.
    1 bunch asian greens (choy sum or bok choy) shredded

Heat oil in large pot over medium high heat. Add curry paste and cook for 2 mins or until fragrant. Add onion, carrot, pumpkin and potato and saute for a couple of minutes until the curry paste coates veggies. Add in all remaining ingredients and bring to the boil. REeduce to a simmer and cook for 40mins or until vegetables are tender and sauce has thickened. Allow to cool.
    Spoon brown rice into 5 tupperware containers, top with the asian veg and top with curry. Freeze until ready to eat. Microwave and serve with natural yoghurt!

Turkey Chilli Con Carne:
    1 medium brown onion
    500gm turkey mince
    1 x 400gm kidney beans (drained)
    2 x tins chopped tomatos
    1 TBSP chilli puree
    2 medium carrots diced
    300 gm sweet potato diced
    medium zuccini grated
    1 TBSP olive oil

Heat olive oil in a large frying pan. Add onion and cook until clear. Add mince and cook until browned. Add all remaining ingredients, cover and cook for 30-40mins or until sweet potato is tender.
    Allow to cool, and freeze in tupperware containers.

Hope this helps :)
  • I just made a big pot of chicken tortilla soup and froze it in single serving containers for lunch at work.

Chicken breast
    Black beans
    Corn
    Onion
    Can diced tomatoes
    Chicken broth

Boil it to cook the chicken, then shred it, cook a little longer. I had some today and it's good :)

Also there are a million freezer recipes on Pinterest!
  • mkop84
    mkop84 Posts: 21 Member
    Bump
  • SheriF49
    SheriF49 Posts: 50 Member
    **BUMP**