Most badass/alpha exercise for a woman to perform?

What is the most badass exercise that would make you take notice and "mire" (admire) in the gym if you saw a woman perform it?

Which one of these is the most "badass"?

Unassisted pull ups, unassisted tricep dips, heavy deadlifts, heavy barbell squat?

Right now I have to say I feel the most badass when doing tricep dips cause I don't see any other women doing them unassisted in the gym. I would eventually want to be able to do weighted dips AND pull ups; I think the entire gym would probably stare in amazement if I did that since again I have never seen any females doing them unassisted let alone with weight.

I can deadlift 1.5x my bw but don't find that impressive to be honest (once I hit 225lbs then I will find that impressive).

Right now I think weighted dips and pull ups would be the most "badass"....

What exercise do you think is the most badass that would make you look twice in admiration if you saw a woman perform in the gym?

Replies

• iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Whatever s/he is doing that is pushing her/him to the limit and really doing it well.

While there are certain lifts I like doing more than others I will admire another person doing all kinds of lifts when done properly and when its obviously pushing the person (doesnt really matter how much weight there is on the person or the bar).

( I do go to a gym where the girls are doing pullups and weighted dips etc.. so plenty of women to admire.. but I also admire the older, larger woman who comes in and uses some of the machines instead of a bar, because she is obviously pushing herself)
  • Italia2229
    Italia2229 Posts: 119 Member
    Whatever s/he is doing that is pushing her/him to the limit and really doing it well.

While there are certain lifts I like doing more than others I will admire another person doing all kinds of lifts when done properly and when its obviously pushing the person (doesnt really matter how much weight there is on the person or the bar).

( I do go to a gym where the girls are doing pullups and weighted dips etc.. so plenty of women to admire.. but I also admire the older, larger woman who comes in and uses some of the machines instead of a bar, because she is obviously pushing herself)

^^^ agreed
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    nothing makes me stop in my tracks and 'mire like seeing a girl do some pull ups.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Pull ups definitely.

But cleans, snatches etc with a barbell and a plate or two or a decent sized DB. I know it's relative but 50 snatches with a 2lb DB won't cut it. That would suggest she saw an article on Shape on spot burning back and shoulder fat. :laugh:
  • 1horseygirl1
    1horseygirl1 Posts: 98 Member
    I really admire the 82 year old lady I met at the gym a month ago. She comes in every day and works out to the best of her ability.
    I also admire the mother and daughter team who would be at least 150kg each who come in most days and work out. The mum told me that they used to have to take the elevator to the gym floor but now can do the stairs.

To be honest they are the women who make me stop and smile, not because they are amazing physical specimens but because they are overcoming some major barriers and stereotypes just by turning up.

I think they are pretty badass :)
  • EnviousDan
    EnviousDan Posts: 107 Member
    Squats. Learn to do them properly and push yourself. Girls who squat are incredibly sexy. And ignore all those garbage ads you see on fitness website. The true secret to a great backside is squats.
  • unassisted pullups for the win! close second dips.

being able to handle your own body weight with ease is an amazing feat, and i would admire that if i saw anyone doing it!

that is a goal of mine, and i think it would enhance the feel/joy of the world around us. we can control our own weight. after all we work for peace/harmony
  • A heavy deadlift. Because the exercise itself intimidates me.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member

To be honest they are the women who make me stop and smile, not because they are amazing physical specimens but because they are overcoming some major barriers and stereotypes just by turning up.

True that!
  • Blitzer32
    Blitzer32 Posts: 9 Member
    Pull ups or press ups. I can't do either, yet. If I saw another woman doing them I would stare in awe.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Very little actually.

I couldn't give two hoots what other people do in the gym and am usually too busy to do my own thing than to "stare in amazement" at some "bad *kitten* alpha" woman.

If anything impresses me is when I'm out running and a lady cruises past me at sub 8-min miling. That makes me smile.
  • jantura
    jantura Posts: 14 Member
    1Horseygirl1 - AMEN!!!!!!!!! Anyone who makes an effort, no matter how great or small, receives my admiration.
  • unassisted pull-ups without a doubt.
    this is a dream of mine to be able to do that. Never have been able to even when I was a skinny little kid on the playground!
    My two main "alpha" female goals are to be able to do full, perfect form push-ups and at least ONE unassisted pull-up in the next year
  • Squats. Learn to do them properly and push yourself. Girls who squat are incredibly sexy. And ignore all those garbage ads you see on fitness website. The true secret to a great backside is squats.

Barbell hip thrusts are far superior for the glutes than squats. Yes; I do BB squats btw... Only barbell squats for me; no smith ever EVER EVER. And with no pad either :)

Bret Contreras conducted EMG research and a bb hip thrust was shown to activate glutes more than any bb squat or deadlift. I bb hip thrust 195 lbs now for 5 reps and aiming for 225 lbs for 10 reps. And yes, I do bb squat and deadlift as well.

In order, the hip extension exercises with the highest glute activation are the kneeling squat (67%), deadlift (55%), sumo deadlift (52%) and Zercher squat (45%).

• In order, the hip hyperextension exercises with the highest glute activation are the single leg bent leg reverse hyper (122%), hip thrust (119%), pendulum quadruped hip extension (112%), bent leg reverse hyper (111%).

Source : http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/dispelling_the_glute_myth

And what makes you think I read garbage fitness mags? I only do compound lifts and know more about exercises than idiot male trainers at my gym. One never even heard of low bar and high bar squats and never heard of SS. I was going to ask him if he even lifted...

Don't assume that women't don't know anything. I know more than you since I know the hip thrusts activate your glutes more than squats. Science is behind me. Google Bret Contreras and hip thrusts if you don't believe me. Maybe you are the one that needs to do more research before saying that back squats are #1 for glutes? They are one of the top lifts for sure for glutes but not #1. Trust me, I know my stuff.
  • Squats. Learn to do them properly and push yourself. Girls who squat are incredibly sexy. And ignore all those garbage ads you see on fitness website. The true secret to a great backside is squats.

Also, what makes you think I don't already KNOW how to do them properly? Maybe I already CAN. What makes you think I am unable to do them? Do you think I am an idiot who lifts 2 lbs pink dumbells?

Here is more knowledge for you about hip thrusts being superior to squats ... From Bret's studies.

The Winners

Based on this experiment, here are the top three exercises in terms of mean and peak activity for each muscle part:

Glute Medius

Mean: Quadruped Hip Circle, Band Standing External Rotation, Barbell Hip Thrust

Peak: Quadruped Hip Circle, Quadruped Band Donkey Kick, Quadruped Hip Extension

Upper Glute Maximus

Mean: Barbell Hip Thrust, Band Skorcher Hip Thrust, Quadruped Hip Circle

Peak: Quadruped Hip Extension, Barbell Hip Thrust, Bird Dog

Mid Glute Maximus

Mean: Band Standing Hip External Rotation, Band Skorcher Hip Thrust, Barbell Hip Thrust

Peak: Band Standing Hip External Rotation, Band Skorcher Hip Thrust, Cable Standing Hip External Rotation

Lower Glute Maximus

Mean: Deadlift, Band Hip Thrust, Band Standing Hip External Rotation

Peak: Single Leg Hip Thrust, Shoulder Elevated Single Leg Hip Thrust, Deadlift

As you can see, the results were pretty shocking. My findings indicate that the glutes show varying levels of activation in the different regions of the muscles depending on the exercise performed. "

Btw, he is one of the most respected fitness coaches and getting his PhD in Sports Science.

Just saying; sounds like maybe you don't know it all like you think...
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Squats. Learn to do them properly and push yourself. Girls who squat are incredibly sexy. And ignore all those garbage ads you see on fitness website. The true secret to a great backside is squats.

LOL!! One of the fitness monitors at the gym says " it excites me to see women squatting with proper form". He also says it impresses him that I can squat 150lbs.
  • EnviousDan
    EnviousDan Posts: 107 Member

Barbell hip thrusts are far superior for the glutes than squats. Yes; I do BB squats btw... Only barbell squats for me; no smith ever EVER EVER. And with no pad either :)

Bret Contreras conducted EMG research and a bb hip thrust was shown to activate glutes more than any bb squat or deadlift. I bb hip thrust 195 lbs now for 5 reps and aiming for 225 lbs for 10 reps. And yes, I do bb squat and deadlift as well.

In order, the hip extension exercises with the highest glute activation are the kneeling squat (67%), deadlift (55%), sumo deadlift (52%) and Zercher squat (45%).

• In order, the hip hyperextension exercises with the highest glute activation are the single leg bent leg reverse hyper (122%), hip thrust (119%), pendulum quadruped hip extension (112%), bent leg reverse hyper (111%).

Source : http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/dispelling_the_glute_myth

And what makes you think I read garbage fitness mags? I only do compound lifts and know more about exercises than idiot male trainers at my gym. One never even heard of low bar and high bar squats and never heard of SS. I was going to ask him if he even lifted...

Don't assume that women't don't know anything. I know more than you since I know the hip thrusts activate your glutes more than squats. Science is behind me. Google Bret Contreras and hip thrusts if you don't believe me. Maybe you are the one that needs to do more research before saying that back squats are #1 for glutes? They are one of the top lifts for sure for glutes but not #1. Trust me, I know my stuff.

Jesus Christ, you asked a question and I answered. Why do you go all aggressive?
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member

haha
    Love this!
    I am doing a squat challenge this month to get a rounder and fitter booty!
  • NoeHead
    NoeHead Posts: 516 Member

:flowerforyou: :happy:

I sometimes still feel uncomfortable going to the gym because most are military people and when i do things like squats, clean and presses, deadlifts, etc i can see my HUGE belly in the mirror. I know this isn't directed towards me but it gives me hope that maybe i don't look like the fat idiot at the gym