Road vs. Tri bike?

I have done 3 sprint triathlons this season and I definitely want to do more, but need a bike upgrade (I'm riding a hybrid right now). I understand the major differences between road and tri bikes, but I'm still not sure what to get. I would like to do an olympic distance race next year, but don't anticipate longer races than that in the next few years. I am currently in the lower half of my age group for my races and a lot of that is my bike times. In the future, I would really like to go on group rides to get in some longer distances (I'm kind of excluded from those right now, because I can't keep up on my hybrid). I expect that I will do 3-4 races a year and the rest will be training. So what do ya'll think? I'm happy to give more info, if I've left anything important out. Thanks so much for your help!

Replies

• TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Most group rides will not allow to use a tri bike.

I would get a decent road bike, and put some shortie aero bars on.

I know a of people who do all their training on a road bike, then race on their tri bike. (never understood that)
  • mleech77
    mleech77 Posts: 557 Member
    Most group rides will not allow to use a tri bike.

I would get a decent road bike, and put some shortie aero bars on.

I know a of people who do all their training on a road bike, then race on their tri bike. (never understood that)
    What Ty said. Pretty much every group ride I've seen organized won't allow tri bikes. They want you to be able to reach the brakes quickly and not have to hop from the aero bars to the horns in order to do so.

Right now for my tris I'm doing a road bike with aero bars and some adjustments on the seat and stem. Redshift sports makes a quick change system that will allow you to go from road bike profile to tri bike profile if you're interested in that. DCRainmaker has a write up on it from interbike. http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/09/redshift-demonstrates-aerobarseatpost.html, or you can check out their site directly. http://www.redshiftsports.com/
  • Thanks a lot! My initial thought was to get a tri bike, but I would like to participate in group rides and hate to eliminate that option. I spoke to a friend earlier (road racer, not tri athlete) and was given the same advice. I feel better having that decision narrowed down, now for all the other choices!
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    There are a lot of bikes that could set up great with some shorty aero bars for tris. Felt's AR series of bikes and Cervelo's S series being two that immediately come to mind. There are lots of group rides here in Houston that you'll just get the side eye from roadies if you show up with a tri bike and you'll have to prove that you can handle the bike in a pack. I have heard stories of triathletes being asked to leave though or just hang off the back of the pace line.

Oh and in regards to racing on your tri bike and riding your roadie in training. If you have them set up the same (ie fit with the same measurements) it's a lot more cost efficient to put the training miles on your road bike and leave your tri bike set up for racing.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Road bike. You don't *need* a tri, bike, but you will need a road bike.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    If you can afford to get both, if you're like most of us mere mortals you'd be better of to get a decent road bike.
  • TyTy76

I have seen people finish Iron-Distance races on hybrid bikes...

:wink: :wink:
  • scott091501

Not necessarily. I have zero need for a road bike. I can more than hold my own in a pace line with a bunch of roadies on my tri bike. I also see no need to ride with roadies on a regular basis as there are plenty of group rides in my area specifically by triathletes, for triathletes.

I have seen people finish Iron-Distance races on hybrid bikes...

:wink: :wink:

Those people are a gluten for punishment. 56-112 miles on a hybrid is nuts.
  • Yeah, my hybrid is a nice bike, but it keeps me from going on any group rides in my area. I end up doing a lot of my bike training at the gym (spin class), but that has not prepared me well for the hills and wind in my recent races. It is also kind of demoralizing to hear "on your left" so many times during a race! I'm ready for a faster bike!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Work on the engine before you worry about a bike. If anything, get some road bike tires on your hybrid (700x28c for example) which will help a lot. If you can't keep up with a group ride with the hybrid, chances are you won't be able to with a road bike either, until you further build up your bike cardio.
  • scott091501
    Work on the engine before you worry about a bike. If anything, get some road bike tires on your hybrid (700x28c for example) which will help a lot. If you can't keep up with a group ride with the hybrid, chances are you won't be able to with a road bike either, until you further build up your bike cardio.

Not sure I'd agree with this. One a hybrid isn't designed for that use. Two, most people don't have hybrids that fit them correctly. While I agree that the engine is of far more importance than the bike a well fit road/tri bike will yield a much more comfortable and enjoyable experience than a hybrid will.
  • Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    The aero dynamic benefits of a tri bike in a short distance triathlon are not worth the price. Over a long course, the seconds and watts add up with a tri bikes aerodynamic benefits (foil tubing, aero position, etc.). This is compounded with the different seat post geometry allowing for more use of the quads while 'saving' your hamstrings for the run.

I'd go road bike if you plan on staying short course and tribike if you plan to dabble in long course. Shortie bars are easy to put on and take off and the road bike will have much more versatility.

I switch between my tri and road bikes up until 8 weeks from an event then I am strictly on the tri bike.
  • I think that there are very few people that would be able to keep up with a 20-30 mile 18-22 mph group ride on a hybrid.
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    I do sprint duathlons and have a tri bike. It's much better than a road bike.

One suggestion...if you're sticking with sprint distances, skip those expenseive clip shoes. You'll never make up the extra time it takes putting them on in transition.
  • I bought a road bike when I wanted to start tris. I was afraid of a tri bike and read about so many people mostly riding their road bikes. After 1.5 years of riding, I just bought my first tri bike and now I'm selling my road bike. I don't go on group rides and I like going fast, therefore I see no point in ever riding my road bike over my tri bike.

I also tried going the whole road bike with shortie aero bars and all that did was scare me more away from a tri bike because it made my road bike so twitchy. My tri bike though is amazingly not twitchy to the point I am surprised every time I go on a ride on it how comfortable I am on the bars in terms of feeling in control of the bike.

As to the comment about going without clipless pedals for sprint distances, I can't imagine not having my clipless pedals for all distances. Yes you lose time in transition putting on shoes (unless you do flying mounts/dismounts), but to me at least, it would feel very difficult trying to push my speed without being able to do a full pedal stroke (pushing down and pulling up).
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    I say if you're going to do triathlons then get a freaking tri bike. I don't even own a road bike - just a tri bike and a cross bike. Everything I can do on a road bike, I do on my tri bike. I used to own a road bike, but I got rid of it. My tri bike is so much better! Why keep something I'm not using?

We have a multitude of tri clubs in my area, and they do group rides all the time. I've been on more group rides than I can count, and all of them on my tri bike.

You can't group ride on a tri bike? WRONG!!! Anybody who says or thinks this doesn't know what he/she's talking about.

Find a tri club. Ride with other triathletes. They know what you're trying to accomplish, and have a better chance of helping you get where you want to be with your cycling skills. Road riders act like snobs and jerks toward triathletes. Screw them. I have no time or patience for people like that.

To repeat: TRI BIKE!!!
  • TyTy76
    I say if you're going to do triathlons then get a freaking tri bike. I don't even own a road bike - just a tri bike and a cross bike. Everything I can do on a road bike, I do on my tri bike. I used to own a road bike, but I got rid of it. My tri bike is so much better! Why keep something I'm not using?

We have a multitude of tri clubs in my area, and they do group rides all the time. I've been on more group rides than I can count, and all of them on my tri bike.

You can't group ride on a tri bike? WRONG!!! Anybody who says or thinks this doesn't know what he/she's talking about.

Find a tri club. Ride with other triathletes. They know what you're trying to accomplish, and have a better chance of helping you get where you want to be with your cycling skills. Road riders act like snobs and jerks toward triathletes. Screw them. I have no time or patience for people like that.

So there have been 3 or 4 people in this thread that don't know what they are talking about?

okay then..
  • scott091501

So there have been 3 or 4 people in this thread that don't know what they are talking about?

okay then..

FWIW I actually agree with Joe on most points but wanted to couch my opinion incase there were roadies here. I've been to several group rides and you will get the side eye from roadies. You just end up spending a crap ton of time proving you can handle your bike in a pace line. Honestly not worth my time. I'd train on a tri bike with other triathletes.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Not everybody is from a big enough city that is lucky enough to have tri clubs and roadie clubs.
  • The tri bike on group rides issue is only an issue if you go on group rides. Honestly, I've never seen the appeal in them. I don't do my running in a group so I see now reason why to ride in a group.