Do you look thinner than you are?

Replies

• vaultgirlsam
    vaultgirlsam Posts: 28 Member
    [...what does that even mean?
    ]
    Exactly, thanks for the back handed compliment.
    [/quote]

You get me. :)
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    I think I look fatter than I am..
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    It's not that I hide my excess weight well---it's painfully present and obvious BUT I must be carrying a bit of muscle, too, because I wear much smaller sizes than I did at this weight in the past. Maybe sizes have changed a lot over the past 10 to 20 years and everything is vanity sized up. I wouldn't dare asking how much people think I weigh, it's bad enough that I know!
  • heis4u2004
    heis4u2004 Posts: 176 Member
    I never wore things that revealed my belly bulge and all of that in in the front. Shirts are always loose around there or just tucked in slightly. And I always tried to where sleeved shirts that hide some of the flabby upper arms.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    I think people are just really really bad about guestimating weight.
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    I'm 5'4" and usually bounce between 135-140 pounds. I wear size 4 jeans, 6 dresses and small shirts. Everyone is shocked when they hear my weight. However I am packed full of muscle, so I figure thats where it is.

I'm not worried about what the scale says. I just want to look good and be healthy--even if that weight is "more" than what people think it should be.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    I think I look decent for 130.
    *shrug*
    Most people are shocked when I tell them my actual weight. Some assume im as much as 20lbs less. O-O But, people suck at guessing ones weight.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member

I SECOND THIS
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    I am 5'5" and 241 pounds. I look slightly smaller than many women of the same weight because my weight is proportioned over my entire body. I also have very heavy legs which doesn't really get noticed unless they're bare which I avoid at all costs.. but anyway, extra weight in the legs means less weight in other areas. I have one sister who weighs 20 pounds less than I do but wears a larger size than me.. because she is an apple shape so she needs that larger size to accommodate her larger waist though the clothing might be too big in the legs/butt/bust whereas my figure is generally spot on when it comes to the sizing charts so I fill out my clothing in all areas with no baggy parts. The good news for her is that when she starts shedding the pounds she blows through the sizes really quickly where as I need to lose quite a lot of weight before going down a size.

Recently I had my profile on a few dating sites and I got messages all the time telling me that I need to change my bodytype from "bbw/overweight" to "a little extra" I always respond telling them my weight and that 90-100 pounds overweight is not just "a little extra"
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member

Recently I had my profile on a few dating sites and I got messages all the time telling me that I need to change my bodytype from "bbw/overweight" to "a little extra" I always respond telling them my weight and that 90-100 pounds overweight is not just "a little extra"

I had the same thing happen multiple times when I was at 260-ish! I hear ya completely.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Yes, I am 5'5, I've always been pretty well proportioned. Even when I was 225 lbs, no-one believed I weighted more than 180-190. Now I'm 165 lbs and already have people telling me to stop and maintain before I get "too" skinny. lol I'm a size 10, down from a size 20, and according to my BMI I'm still 15 pounds overweight.
  • NordicAlien
    NordicAlien Posts: 110 Member
    Not so much now (276lb) but right up until I was about 240 I looked a lot thinner. At 240 I wore a US size 10 / UK 14 - same as my niece who was 4 stone lighter than me and one inch shorter. Guys would often ask if they could pick me up, and I'd be all, "Uh, I doubt it, and I wouldn't try." Then they'd try anyway. Only one managed it comfortably - my 6 foot 5 Navy SEAL friend. :)

I don't think I look lighter than my weight now though - those extra 35 pounds have mostly gone on my stomach and arms. Sigh.
  • PunkyRachel
    I blame it on all the weight I carry in my boobs!

LOL:bigsmile:

ditto! lol I blame my back pains on my boobs too. I've dropped 10 clothing sizes, but have gained 2 cup sizes.:grumble:
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member

I SECOND THIS
    Third.

People of my build and athletics usually guess my weight.
  • PunkyRachel
    It's not that I hide my excess weight well---it's painfully present and obvious BUT I must be carrying a bit of muscle, too, because I wear much smaller sizes than I did at this weight in the past. Maybe sizes have changed a lot over the past 10 to 20 years and everything is vanity sized up. I wouldn't dare asking how much people think I weigh, it's bad enough that I know!

I had fluctuated between US sizes 16-20 for the past 11 years. I weigh the same now as I did 9 years ago on my wedding day. The catch is I didn't exercise or have muscle back then, so my wedding dress was a size 16. I currently wear a size 10, so yea muscle really does weighs more.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member

I SECOND THIS
    Third.

People of my build and athletics usually guess my weight.

I agree with this. The only friend I have who has guessed my weight really close is heavier than I am by about 40 lb. With anyone else I would be really surprised for them to get it right. But she is my height and build so she knows what 230, 270 look like.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    I'm 5'7" about 150 pounds. I often get guesses of 130-140, but I often chock it up to people just being nice. When I tell them what I can do fitness-wise (running, stairclimbing, etc), they are often surprised by my weight. I guess when people picture a runner in their head, they think of very lean people.
  • CrazyAnimalLady
    CrazyAnimalLady Posts: 104 Member
    This is definitely me too, most people are genuinely surprised to find out that I weigh 300 lbs, at the doctors office when they weigh me they always are setting that scale about 40 lbs less than I am and are shocked when I tell them that needs to keep moving to the right. I'm 6' tall and am very proportionate, so I think that helps with the illusion of weighing less than I do.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Yes! People think I am joking or fishing for compliments when I tell them my weight. Either I have a good amount of muscle or I just carry it well. Not sure which one.
  • Scotland_forever
    Scotland_forever Posts: 64 Member
    Absolutely have heard this before! People don't believe me when I say I'm not at an acceptable weight for the air force, and then try to cover their mistake by saying it must all be muscle (not the case, believe me!)