Body weight question

I usually go to bed at a weight of 178.6 or 179. I wake up thought sometimes weighing 180. I drink A LOT of water through out the night. Could it just be water weight? How do I know if my weight is just water weight or fat. I feel the same when I wake up though on days that I weigh 177 and on 180. I just do not understand. It makes me think I gained weight.

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Take this or leave it.... but after losing 312 lbs. I learned through trial and error that the scale does not define me... I learned to weigh in once a week and log it and move on... Obsessing over the number on the scale can do more harm mentally than good... Since I went into maintenance a year ago I only weigh in once a month now and log it and move on.. I go by the mirror and how my clothes fit... If my 36 in. waist Levi's are loose than i have no worries.... Best of Luck.... On a side note unless you at well over your calorie goal for that day there is no way the weight flux you are seeing is anything more than water retention.... Best of Luck
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Maybe aliens are leaving a probe in you after they have finished their examinations?
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Cockroaches
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    weigh yourself three times a week at the same time each day and then take a weekly average...this will account for any fluctuations...

I was 172.8 on wens am and then this morning 173.8 ...no way I eat 3500 cals over in two days...so I know it is just fluctuation ...my average for week is 173.3 which is lower than last weeks 173.5 ..win...
  • Blitzer32
    Blitzer32 Posts: 9 Member
    I try not to weigh myself everyday because more often than not it leads to disappointment. Having said that when I do weigh in before bed then again in the morning I always weigh either the same or less than the night before. I have never weighed more. I don't drink anything during the night. Maybe it is water that is bumping up your morning weight? Or are you wearing different clothes?
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    The average person swallows quite a few spiders in their sleep, maybe the spiders in your bedroom are larger than average!
  • pinktoesjb
    pinktoesjb Posts: 302 Member
    The average person swallows quite a few spiders in their sleep, maybe the spiders in your bedroom are larger than average!

beat me to the spider suggestion :-(
  • amsipub
    amsipub Posts: 84 Member
    I wouldn't worry about weight fluctuations through the day or night. You just have to pick a time that you will always weigh yourself. I can add anywhere from 2-5 lbs. from first thing in the morning to evening. I would look at other changes to your body as successes for losing weight.

For me, I would try putting on jeans that I never could fit into. But it was very exciting when I first could get them higher and higher on my thighs and then get them onto my hips. I celebrated when I was able to button them (couldn't wear them out because they were still too tight at the time). I thought it was very funny when they got too big. They had been my goal for me to get into for 5 years and I surpassed it. It blew my mind.

Another way would be to take your measurements.

GL!
  • fatboyruss
    fatboyruss Posts: 33 Member
    totally agree with all the above (maybe not the cockroaches or alien probes). Do not obsess about the scales. Look at measurements and body composition
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    weigh yourself three times a week at the same time each day and then take a weekly average...this will account for any fluctuations...

I was 172.8 on wens am and then this morning 173.8 ...no way I eat 3500 cals over in two days...so I know it is just fluctuation ...my average for week is 173.3 which is lower than last weeks 173.5 ..win...

I love this idea. I'm going to give it a try!
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member

Ahh someone that is actually using Stats Class in real life.

Bravo!
  • Your weight fluctuates naturally around 1 kg in a day. Don't worry about it.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Take this or leave it.... but after losing 312 lbs. I learned through trial and error that the scale does not define me... I learned to weigh in once a week and log it and move on... Obsessing over the number on the scale can do more harm mentally than good... Since I went into maintenance a year ago I only weigh in once a month now and log it and move on.. I go by the mirror and how my clothes fit... If my 36 in. waist Levi's are loose than i have no worries.... Best of Luck.... On a side note unless you at well over your calorie goal for that day there is no way the weight flux you are seeing is anything more than water retention.... Best of Luck

Man that is an awesome weight loss, and also some great advice. Congrats.