How do you satisfy the evening snacking urge???

1235»

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    O I AM ignoring them. I tried to talk civilly to them and they attacked me. They are VERY bitter. Maybe they need to eat a bit more. HAHA!! They might be a bit more pleasant.
    I know you're ignoring me, but hey! I find it very amusing that the one asking for low cal snacks to fit into her 1200 calorie diet is telling those of us eating 1900+ cals a day that we need to eat more. Hilarious. Yeah, I'm so bitter about eating ice cream for a snack. And wearing size 4 jeans. And rocking my sleeveless tops because my arms look better than ever. Soooooooo bitter.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Try to help people out, and they see it as an attack. Whatever. Enjoy your 1200 calories and nightly snack of herbal tea.

I will never understand why people see the simple advice of "hey, you can eat more than 1200 calories and still lose weight, and not be hungry or stressed because you don't have enough cals to have a snack at night - there's a better way!" as an attack. :huh:

Good luck. If you ever do find a better way, don't share it with anyone - my goodness, how rude of you to think someone might want good advice, or for you to share something you've learned. [/sarcasm]
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Hey, why listen to a small group of people who between them have lost over half a ton of fat. What the H, E, double hockey sticks would they know?
  • beckerkra
    beckerkra Posts: 80 Member
    Hey, why listen to a small group of people who between them have lost over half a ton of fat. What the H, E, double hockey sticks would they know?

My sentiments exactly on this. Here, let me make this even easier for you OP. Have you figured out what your BMR is? (Basal Metabolic Rate) If you've figured that out, and it says under 1200 calories, than all of these people who are trying to be nice by taking their time to inform you of that you're starving your body are wrong. This is why you can't seem to lose weight when eating at 1200 calories, and the weight you do lose when below 1200 calories is most likely your body starting to catabolise muscle (burn muscle) instead of actually burning FAT. These people helping you are either nutritionists themselves, lost a bunch of weight themselves, or have been working VERY closely with their local doctors and nutritionists. I personally am working very closely with a local nutritionist and doctor as well, and I've asked them specifically about these kinds of situations on the MFP forums, and they BOTH told me the same thing. If they're eating under their basal metabolic rate, than they're starving their body and their body may lose weight, but it's going to be burning more muscle than fat and the body will continue to do EVERYTHING in its power to retain the fat stores it has because it feels that it's going through famished times. Until you eat at least at a calorie deficit from your TDEE consistently for a little while, your body will still be in fat conservation mode and will be continuing to catabolise as much muscle as it can safely burn to preserve its reservations.

Have you gone to a nutritionist and doctor about weight loss? I bet if you went to a good nutritionist they'd be telling you the exact same things that the main people here that have lost the weight are telling you for advice (I know my local nutritionist and doctor mimic the advice 100% given to you here by the people who have actually LOST the weight and keep it off.)

I also have been in the same shoes as most of the others here where I did exactly what you're doing right now (except for guys) and made the same mistakers and I was so frustrated just like you right now that I wasn't losing weight nearly as fast as I wanted. It wasn't until I took the time, met with a nutritionist, decided to listen to the people who you and others who refuse good help, think are "attacking" you and lo and behold. The weight started WASHING off me like mad! I started my journey June 1st following the same advice given to you here and as of today almost 4 months later I'm sitting at nearly 60 lbs lost. I weigh right now lighter than I have since I was about 13-14 years old. Trust me, I've been heavy the majority of my life, and have used EVERY single excuse in the book.

If you made it this far, than I'll give you an easy tool that you can even use at home to figure out your BMR and your TDEE and explains in great detail how to go about finding these numbers. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13. This is one of the greatest tools of my success. Guess who first told me about this tool? DING DING DING Trogalicious! You're the man!

Read, learn, and you may not believe me, but I really do truly hope you can succeed in your goals, because we've all been there (I'm still in the middle of my journey) and it sux when you think everyone's out to get you, you still feel heavy and discouraged. WE DO really truly understand the feeling. It just frustrates us so much seeing someone struggling the SAME way we did but yet unable to take the advice that we also remember thinking "Gawd, these people are Aholes and only out to attack me!" when in reality we are only trying to give "tough love" so to speak.

Seriously this thread reminds me of when I'm at work ugh.. It's like in my IT department when people call ME asking ME for help and then they try to tell me how to do my job in helping them with their IT problem when if they'd only do what I ask them to do, their call would take so much less time because the issue would actually be resolved far more quickly than before (HATE people like that).
  • pauldix
    pauldix Posts: 35 Member
    I snack.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    How do you satisfy the evening snacking urge???

Usually by having a snack...

I know I like to have a little something in the evenings while I'm watchin t.v. I just fit it in my calories and macros for the day just like I would any other meal or snack...meal timing/snack timing is largely irrelevant.

QFT...
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    if you need to snack make sure it is a 100% protein snack. Carbs will put on the pounds at night. Boil two eggs. Eat string cheese or any kind of cheese. The sunflower seed idea was a good one. They take a long time to eat and keep your mouth busy. Handful of Almonds. Hearts of Palm are a GREAT super low calorie vegetable. 8 of them are 20 calories. And they are filling. I eat these a lot at night.

That is so weird.... How the Heck did I lose 312 lbs. eating a carb based 400-500 calorie snack (normally ice cream, or Krave Double chocolate cereal dry, etc) in bed every night over the last 4 years??? OP your snack does not need to be 100% anything other than what you want and most importantly.. You have the calories remaining to fit it in..... Best of Luck...
  • lejla2002
    lejla2002 Posts: 118 Member
    snack on veggies and fruits :) they are low calorie, you have to set your goal and stick to it!!
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    I eat bacon
  • thomakg
    thomakg Posts: 69 Member
    Tried 1200 - crashed and burned and left MFP for a bit. My daughter signed up and got me to do 1600 with her.

Losing, energetic, and above all, happy.

Works for me.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member

LOL Exactly!!! Don't listen to me OP, I have no idea what the heck I am doing....... Best of Luck to you though, one day the light will come on and you will see what the rest of us that have been through all the trials and error that we may just know alittle about alittle......
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    if you need to snack make sure it is a 100% protein snack. Carbs will put on the pounds at night. Boil two eggs. Eat string cheese or any kind of cheese. The sunflower seed idea was a good one. They take a long time to eat and keep your mouth busy. Handful of Almonds. Hearts of Palm are a GREAT super low calorie vegetable. 8 of them are 20 calories. And they are filling. I eat these a lot at night.

1314029819767.png
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    I usually have a coffee in the evening and that does it for me but I also eat a lot during the day so I'm not starving at night. Also, just make sure you leave some calories in your daily limit that you can use towards an evening snack.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Frozen Grapes
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    I make my husband take his snacks and sit away from me--far away.
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    I eat and log them as next day's breakfast - this way I can't just brush them under the carpet. After a short while I started thinking very hard about wanting to snack at night knowing I'll pay for it the next day.

Oh good grief. That's just ridiculous.

So here's the thing OP. If you were eating the amount of calories you SHOULD be eating to maintain a safe,healthy weight loss, that will also help teach you good nutrition and eating habits after you reach your goal weight, and you still had the munchies, either you would be told to have a little self discipline or rework what you eat during the day to include foods that keep you feeling full. For me, it was increasing protein and fiber.

But since you are maintaining such a large calorie deficit, the people who have "lived and learned" are trying to pass on some sage advise that they learned the hard way, hoping to see you succeed long after you hit your goal weight.

So you know where I'm coming from, I started out on 1200, not eating back my exercise cals. I"felt full", but started getting very dizzy after standing up, fatigued, but was very proud of myself for maintaining 1200 calories. I, like you, felt I had to be very rigid, since I am also undisciplined. But then I remembered that the last time I did that, several years before, I fell of the wagon big time when some personal issues came up, and I gained back 60 of the 70 pounds I'd lost by being so rigid. I hadn't taught myself how to be disciplined and knowledgable about my body. I had just become really good at depriving myself.

So I increased my cals to 1500, and just recently, again to 1600. I've also recently increased my protein. In 5-6 weeks, I want to try to add another 100 cals to my day, to eat a total of 1700. My weight loss will probably be slower, but I'm in this for the long haul. Not to just get thin. I need to be healthy, and TRULY establish good habits, so the next time a personal issue arises, I have the knowledge and good habits in place to not regain all the weight I've lost.

Now, it may not seem like it, but I'm rooting for you to be successful. And to answer your question, I satisfy my evening snack by eating. Lately, it's been a protein shake and ice cream. I try to have something with higher protein. Just don't add an evening snack by taking away cals from the rest of your day. That's counterproductive.
  • Strangegirlz
    Strangegirlz Posts: 92 Member
    Hot tea is nice and filling,

What? Really?

I must be drinking the wrong kind
  • Strangegirlz
    Strangegirlz Posts: 92 Member
    Hot tea is nice and filling,

Say what?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    I eat.
  • I have also seen plenty of people who eat 1500-2000 calories a day but then I see 500+ calories burned from exercise which lower their net calories anyways.

With TDEE-% you never eat back exercise calories so yes you would net lower than your goal... that is how it works, because your workouts are already factored in to your total goal calories for the day.