Newbie loss, plateaus and weight loss math... With graphs:)

Replies

• Double bump, brilliant, MFP could learn a thing or two from your analysis and provide some of those feature on it's website.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    bump
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,188 Member
    OK, I'm somewhat new to this site. I keep seeing people post bump. What is bump?
  • diddles19
    diddles19 Posts: 122 Member
    Bump put the post to the top of the message board, but if you bump it yourself, it will show in 'My Topics' so you can find the post easier and read it later
  • alfiepork22
    alfiepork22 Posts: 2 Member
    to bump is a strategy to keep a post active. I am so glad everyone did otherwise I would not have read it. Really interesting and will help with my motivation
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    OP, will you keep us updated? :flowerforyou:

Oh thank you for this, feels so good to see people interested!
    I'm about to finish month 1 of Insanity - I will make a small update after that (in about a week)!:)
  • fuji1010
    fuji1010 Posts: 17 Member
    Really good stuff!!!

Thank you,

Joe
  • commit1440
    commit1440 Posts: 456 Member
    yes, this is great stuff. I've been trying to do daily weigh-ins to get a sense of the daily variance vs the the trends. I really hated weekly weigh-ins that showed no loss (or a gain), when it could have been a "bad day outlier". This is a great way to understand what's really going on.

I have a question about the black line (EXPECTED weight) . You wrote:

"Now here's a closer look at the same graph, with some added perks: Light red line shows the daily weigh-ins, dark red line shows their linear trend and the black line is the EXPECTED weight (calculated as "previous weight - (TDEE - NET calories)/7700", 7700 corresponding to calories for 1 kg fat loss). "

How do you measure the "previous weight"? Do you do this on a daily basis? If so, is it the actual weight (i.e. previous day's weight on light red line) or something else? I think I'd like to try doing this myself, but I want to make sure I understand your methods. Thanks!
  • nelinelineli
    yes, this is great stuff. I've been trying to do daily weigh-ins to get a sense of the daily variance vs the the trends. I really hated weekly weigh-ins that showed no loss (or a gain), when it could have been a "bad day outlier". This is a great way to understand what's really going on.

I have a question about the black line (EXPECTED weight) . You wrote:

"Now here's a closer look at the same graph, with some added perks: Light red line shows the daily weigh-ins, dark red line shows their linear trend and the black line is the EXPECTED weight (calculated as "previous weight - (TDEE - NET calories)/7700", 7700 corresponding to calories for 1 kg fat loss). "

How do you measure the "previous weight"? Do you do this on a daily basis? If so, is it the actual weight (i.e. previous day's weight on light red line) or something else? I think I'd like to try doing this myself, but I want to make sure I understand your methods. Thanks!

Thanks!

Previous weight is the previous "expected" weight. I don't take my actual weigh-ins into account for this calculation. Basically, I chose a "Start weight" which was roughly 1kg below my actual start weight (which was likely glycogen stores, full stomach and whatnot) and substracted, for each day, the weight loss my achieved caloric deficit would bring about. It's the previous weight on the black line, not the red line.
  • nelinelineli
    I think it's important to note too, that you seemed to take a reasonable deficit for your amount to lose and amount of activity.

Many people selecting their own settings in MFP cause that NOT to happen, and then they make it worse by not following the program either.

Great job, great numbers, great graph, great results to continue I'm sure.

Thanks for showing that when you do it smart, just keep doing it and your body will respond.

Thank you, and I definitely agree that choosing sensible goals is very important.
  • DesireeNL
    DesireeNL Posts: 220 Member
    Wow this is very interesting! Did you create the chart in excel? I'm trying to wrap my head around your formula, do you enter daily how many calories you ate? And do you recalculate your tdee as you lose weight?
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    I think graphing is the absolute best way to get real info out of the scale. I don't do it the way the OP has - too much work for me! - but instead, I use trendweight.com on the web or Libra on android. Trendweight looks like this:

4w.png

The beauty of this is that the moving average lets you find out what your calorie deficit is and use that to plan your weight loss.

Osric
  • alichristiana
    alichristiana Posts: 76 Member
    This is an interesting graph, I like to get out a calculator and work out calories in vs calories out when I'm having doubts, I miss out "bad weeks" ( normally with days missed out)from my calculation and I normally find I have lost as the numbers say I should.
    For those wondering 1pound = 3500 calories
    I'm also a sushi lover (vegetarian varieties) too! Not very available round here, though.
  • lavender_fairie
    lavender_fairie Posts: 76 Member
    This is my favorite MFP post Ever.

Very rarely do I find inspiration in graph form but here it is! And I needed it so thank you!
  • nelinelineli
    Wow this is very interesting! Did you create the chart in excel? I'm trying to wrap my head around your formula, do you enter daily how many calories you ate? And do you recalculate your tdee as you lose weight?

Yes it's excel. Yes I have a table with weight and net calories for the day from which i derive the net deficit for the day. For this example I used a fixed TDEE since I hadn't lost that much weight. Now I do have a "TDEE" column as well that calculates TDEE from the projected weight. But to be honest.. we're talking about a difference of 30 calories :)D
  • c_ansari
    c_ansari Posts: 57 Member
    I'm such a numbers nerd that my friend sent me a link to this thread. I've determined that you, nelinelineli, are my soulmate.

How you doin'?
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Fantastic illustration OP! Thank you; it does help to see it laid out like this.
  • hif123
    hif123 Posts: 19 Member
    bump!
  • mrsslls
    mrsslls Posts: 41 Member
    Hmmmm, I can see I am going to be very busy at work on Monday creating my graphs :) and it just proves once more that there is no big secret to weight loss just a very simple calories in v calories out.