List of retailers/companies that do NOT vanity size...

Alrighty, I'm at about a 100 lbs lost. I'm closing in on my college weight/size, and will surpass it in the coming months. Right now I'm slipping out of the old 38s and slipping back into the 36s. At goal I should ultimately be around 32/loose 34.

My mind is turning toward new clothes for the winter and I'm looking to avoid companies with egregious vanity sizing. Yes, if you're not aware, more and more menswear retailers and companies are over inflating our pants sizes too. Yay gender equality. No part of me is looking for a mental fluff job by trying to make me feel thinner than I am; an actual lean body does wonders enough on it's own.

I thought this would be a good opportunity to get a comprehensive list going for shops, both online and brick n' mortar, that do true, or damn close to true, sizing for those of us not looking to be duped by overinflated sizing.

I personally, obviously, am looking for places that sell men's clothing. But this also could be a great thread to start documenting true-size shops for women as well.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Alrighty, I'm at about a 100 lbs lost. I'm closing in on my college weight/size, and will surpass it in the coming months. Right now I'm slipping out of the old 38s and slipping back into the 36s. At goal I should ultimately be around 32/loose 34.

My mind is turning toward new clothes for the winter and I'm looking to avoid companies with egregious vanity sizing. Yes, if you're not aware, more and more menswear retailers and companies are over inflating our pants sizes too. Yay gender equality. No part of me is looking for a mental fluff job by trying to make me feel thinner than I am; an actual lean body does wonders enough on it's own.

I thought this would be a good opportunity to get a comprehensive list going for shops, both online and brick n' mortar, that do true, or damn close to true, sizing for those of us not looking to be duped by overinflated sizing.

I personally, obviously, am looking for places that sell men's clothing. But this also could be a great thread to start documenting true-size shops for women as well.

Frankly who cares what size waist pants you fit in? Do you like how you look in the mirror, are you healthy? Then who cares about sizing
  • kordell70
    kordell70 Posts: 49 Member
    Not sure if by "Vanity Sizes" you mean stores are now says a Size 12 equates to pants with a waist size of x inches and length of x inches. One of the perks of being a man when shopping is that we have the truth in advertising of size. You want pants you measure your waist and inseam. You want a shirt you measure your neck, arm length and if you are particularly big then and only then do you use the 3X, 4X, 5X and use a look up chart for body circumference. In fact the old joke for big men was your waist sizes are 42, 44, 46, 48, 50 and then ELASTIC. However, even if you are at some "trendy" store who now does size 1, 2, 3, etc I would just find the chart and match up what it means.

However, try Casual Male and its other partner stores. They all use the direct measure method. Or if you are already down to size 36 then any regular outlet clothing store will do. Macys, Sears, Kmart, etc
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Are men's clothes sold in sizes? Whenever I buy clothes for my husband the pants are by waist / inseam lenght and most shirts are S, M, L, XL, 1X, 2X ...

I am a woman but I would never boycott a store or manufacturer because of what size the wrote on the tag. If I look good in it and it's reasonably priced, I couldn't care less if it said size 8 or 18 or 58. I can rip that tag out when I get home if I want.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Well it sure as heck isn't Old Navy. Thats all i can add to the topic LOL.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member

Frankly who cares what size waist pants you fit in? Do you like how you look in the mirror, are you healthy? Then who cares about sizing

My thoughts exactly. Only the people you live with (besides yourself) will ever know what size you wear, and they shouldn't care what that number is anyway.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member

Indeed. For me it's not about whether or not a store vanity sizes, it's about the fact that I can't just go onto any retailer website/ebay/in store rack and pull off "my size" without trying it on. I inevitably have to drag 3 pairs of pants into the dressing room because I don't know if the clothing line runs smallish, mediumish, or largeish. There's such a disparity from one retailer to another that if it wasn't tremendously frustrating it would be laughable. Really, I haven't figured out why they put sizes on anything, at this rate they might as well just throw them haphazardly on a rack and label each one "size: happy hunting."
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    This thread was created in an attempt to get a list going for those of us who like to shop at retailers that have true clothing sizing. Some of us don't enjoy running all over kingdom come, looking through mountains of false clothing sizes trying to find clothes that fit.

Places that true-size simply give you a more accurate, and far more efficient, shopping experience. Frankly I am surprised anybody would even debate this.

So moving back to topic, those with experience please do share...
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member

Indeed. For me it's not about whether or not a store vanity sizes, it's about the fact that I can't just go onto any retailer website/ebay/in store rack and pull off "my size" without trying it on. I inevitably have to drag 3 pairs of pants into the dressing room because I don't know if the clothing line runs smallish, mediumish, or largeish. There's such a disparity from one retailer to another that if it wasn't tremendously frustrating it would be laughable. Really, I haven't figured out why they put sizes on anything, at this rate they might as well just throw them haphazardly on a rack and label each one "size: happy hunting."

^^^^ This ^^^^ I hate the fact I cannot go into a store and just grab a size and know it fits. It drives me "bonkers". Heck, you can't even do it in the same brand and model of pants. It used to be Levi's were pretty reliable but not anymore.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    One of the perks of being a man when shopping is that we have the truth in advertising of size.

No, actually this is no longer true. For example Old Navy's mens 36 jean routinely measures now at 40-41. There is no "truth in advertising" with menswear anymore, not on any universal scale. We're being lied to right along with the women. Do a google search if you don't believe me.
  • This can be important...and it's not really about "size". I am a woman who has lost 95 pounds and shopping for clothes is a nightmare. There are some stores that do not carry clothes small enough to fit me in anything other than GIRLS and BOYS sizes.

In most stores, I am anywhere from a 000 to a 2, but some stores don't carry smaller than a 2 and others do, but the because of "vanity sizing" they don't fit.

I'm not trying to say "see how small I am"...it is truly frustrating.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    For those who think men have it easier because of the inch X inch sizing, those are no longer true numbers either. Have you measured the waist on a pair of men's pants recently? I was puzzled because the pants size that equaled DH's waist were huge on him. Yep, vanity sizing in men's clothing now as well (2+ inches). Target, Kohl's, Walmart, Old Navy all do it to some extent. Unfortunately, he now has to try things on and the lower end stores' sizing sometimes varies in the same style but a different color (though that is likely due to crappy quality control).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    This thread was created in an attempt to get a list going for those of us who like to shop at retailers that have true clothing sizing. Some of us don't enjoy running all over kingdom come, looking through mountains of false clothing sizes trying to find clothes that fit.

Places that true-size simply give you a more accurate, and far more efficient, shopping experience. Frankly I am surprised anybody would even debate this.

Who decides what sizes should be?
  • niricava
    niricava Posts: 89 Member
    Does anyone know which women's stores sell by exact measurements instead of the standard 2,4,6,8...?
    I would much rather buy clothes that way to grab it and know it fits as opposed to finding something that's a small 14 or a large 10... Like someone else said, it doesn't really matter about the size but how it makes you feel; however there's nothing more annoying than trying on tons of clothes and them not fitting because of this irregular sizing.

I thought all men's stores carried clothes sized by measurements... what a surprise!
  • carlapendergrass
    carlapendergrass Posts: 42 Member
    I am a woman but I would never boycott a store or manufacturer because of what size the wrote on the tag. If I look good in it and it's reasonably priced, I couldn't care less if it said size 8 or 18 or 58. I can rip that tag out when I get home if I want.

this
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Did not realize men's clothing was affected by this, too. It has always puzzled me that the only place that vanity sizing is NOT done is in the wedding dress market--which seems counter-intuitive, to me.
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Does anyone know which women's stores sell by exact measurements instead of the standard 2,4,6,8...?
    I would much rather buy clothes that way to grab it and know it fits as opposed to finding something that's a small 14 or a large 10... Like someone else said, it doesn't really matter about the size but how it makes you feel; however there's nothing more annoying than trying on tons of clothes and them not fitting because of this irregular sizing.

I thought all men's stores carried clothes sized by measurements... what a surprise!

SUPPOSEDLY, there is a waist and inseam measurement that correlates to womens sizes.
    12 = 32" waist; 10 = 31" waist, etc. A standard inseam for women is 31"-32", with petite being shorter and tall being longer.

But the boy and I have found the same issues with mens clothes that I have with womens: the cut and style drastically change the way a size fits your body. He can wear, for example, 34" Levi's 501s, but the 511s force him into a 36".

ETA: Sorry, OP, it looks like you're stuck trying stuff on. I hate it too.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member

Who decides what sizes should be?

I don't think he is talking about small, medium, or large. More as in 31, 32, 33 pants.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

^This
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member

I care about what size I wear and them being true sizes for the simple fact that I don't enjoy shopping. I don't want to have to try on every pair pf pants from every different store bc I have to worry about a size 31 actually being a size 34 somewhere else, I just want to pop in and get a size 31 waist and leave. Why do we have to make things complicated with vanity sized crap? I noticed this happening last year and was pissed I had to turn around, go back to the store, return, and hit the dressing room to figure out what size I was for their specific store. ****....I hate clothes shopping.
  • BL_Mark
    BL_Mark Posts: 183 Member
    Everything varies... not just pants and shirts. Even my shoe size will vary from brand to brand. I'd say if you have an idea of what you are then start there. I don't think you're going to get a list of places where their sizes are all equal. Too many variables.