Best way to bring my calories up from 800-1200 to 1500-1600.

Last month was Ramadan, meaning I only had a short space of time to eat and therefore ate a lot less than I would normally. I only started eating healthy since Ramadan began and now would like to continue but increase my calories to match how much I should be eating according to my BMR and TDEE.

To lose weight on -20% TDEE I should be eating around 1572 calories (exercising 3X per week), 1622 calories (exercising 4X per week). I intend to exercise around 4 times a week at least.

As I've been eating such low amounts for a month, what is the best way of bringing up my calories and avoid weight gain? I was thinking I'd eat 1200 calories for a week, then 1300 the next and so on until I get to 1500-1600. Is one week enough time to bring my calories up by around 100, or should I wait longer to bring them up??

If anyone has brought their calories up, please comment and let me know how it went! I'm scared I'll gain weight if I increase my calories, but do not want to continue eating 800-1200 calories.

Replies

• red869
    red869 Posts: 59
    bump
  • lblert
    lblert Posts: 55
    I had to do this because I was undereating and needed to up my calories. I added 100 calories a week until I got up to where I wanted to be (1700.) I didn't gain any weight doing it this way. In fact, as my calories went up, I started losing more weight.
  • Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    It's a good idea to go slower, so you don't shock your body with all the calories you're starting to get. Work your way up gradually.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Gradually by 100 sounds like a great plan. Eid Mubarak btw :)
  • red869
    I had to do this because I was undereating and needed to up my calories. I added 100 calories a week until I got up to where I wanted to be (1700.) I didn't gain any weight doing it this way. In fact, as my calories went up, I started losing more weight.

That's good to hear. I'm aiming for 1200-1300 for now and then will slowly bring up my calories every week or two. Hope I don't gain weight either!
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    I once heard Jillian Michaels talk about this. She recommended going up by 100 calories over the course of a few days. I think you could probably do it over a stretch of 2-3 weeks and be just fine. You don't want to just jump right into it though or your body will hold on to everything. I pretty sure this is why people gain a bunch of weight on vacation even when they aren't eating thousands of calories over maintenance.
  • red869
    It's a good idea to go slower, so you don't shock your body with all the calories you're starting to get. Work your way up gradually.

Is one week slow enough or should I wait longer to increase my calories? I might try adding 100 every two weeks instead of one.
  • red869
    Gradually by 100 sounds like a great plan. Eid Mubarak btw :)

• somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    tumblr_mke3twKJL21rsobi3o1_500.gif