liquid calories vs. food calories

Options
2»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    From a weight loss perspective, assuming macros (and fiber) is the same - there is no difference.
  • RLPearce92
    Options
    yes a calorie is a calorie so it doesnt matter what form it is in, however a 300kcal cheeseburger will have got it's calorie content from more fat (1g fat = 9kcal) yet a health shake could have got it's calorie content from more protein for example (1g protein = 4kcal)
    so the calories could be the same but the macros could be completely different!
    that table of food digestion times above is brilliant!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    No....Its all the same as far as calories are concerned. The two are likely to have different effects on this like hunger and such but for weight loss its all equal.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Thread resurrection
  • matte1960
    matte1960 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I thought that "for example"... That 100 calories of ...Gin and Seltzer water would be less absorbed than 100 calories of steak? Since you have to "pee" in 15 minutes and some of the calories would not be absorbed, where a steak might take days to digest and allowing the body time to absorb more calories?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    matte1960 wrote: »
    I thought that "for example"... That 100 calories of ...Gin and Seltzer water would be less absorbed than 100 calories of steak? Since you have to "pee" in 15 minutes and some of the calories would not be absorbed, where a steak might take days to digest and allowing the body time to absorb more calories?

This thread is from 2012. Not sure OP is still looking for input.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    toffee322 wrote: »
    not all calories are equal, although calories are calories...i have read that our body takes different food differently. i always feel that a 100 calories cookie is not the same as a 100 calories banana.. not only that their nutrients are different, also how your body breaks it down etc.. just eat healthy! and don't worry too much!!

A calorie is just a certain amount of energy. Thus a calorie is a calorie, as much as an inch is an inch. But people get full from different things. A banana might have a bigger volume and keep some people fuller. Maybe the cookie has more simple sugars that only provide short satiety for some, plus the fat content will take a bit longer to break down and not immediately still hunger.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Ugh, zombie thread.