Moving too fast

UsedToBeHusky
UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
I am notorious for moving too fast in a relationship, meaning if I like someone, I'll have sex with them. But I suspect that this hasn't worked out too well for me in the past. And I have been wondering if men that I like have formed bad opinions of me because I had sex with them too soon. I don't do this to hold on to the guy. I do this because I like sex.

I mainly want to ask the men what opinions do you form of a woman that has sex early in the relationship? If a woman has sex early in the relationship, do you think of her as slutty and not worthy of a long-term status?

Replies

• raige123
    raige123 Posts: 352
    I'm curious to hear the answer to this too.
  • disneywm76
    disneywm76 Posts: 573 Member
    I'm curious to hear the answer to this too.

x3
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    As a man, depending on the connection I have no issue with it happening early. As far back as I can recall, other than my first, every woman I slept with happened on the first or 3rd dates. One of which I married and was with for 9 years. The problem you may run into are guys that only want sex, they will get it then move on.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    No, I don't think she is slutty and/or not relationship material.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    I am notorious for moving too fast in a relationship, meaning if I like someone, I'll have sex with them.
    Keep in mind that sex is different from relationships, you can have sex without being in a relationship or wanting one. Sounds cheesy, but maybe that's all the explanation you need (people, generally, want sex).
    I mainly want to ask the men what opinions do you form of a woman that has sex early in the relationship? If a woman has sex early in the relationship, do you think of her as slutty and not worthy of a long-term status?
    Some men do think that, some don't. I personally don't, and there are men who don't.

Though I would imagine that the majority of men think less of a woman who sleeps with a man early on, especially when that man is not them (maybe not here).

Think about the kind of men who would think that, though, and how compatible they would be with you (I would expect them to be more traditional, controlling, ...).
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Think about the kind of men who would think that, though, and how compatible they would be with you (I would expect them to be more traditional, controlling, ...).

That's a good point. But traditional doesn't always mean controlling... and given some of my personality characteristics, this is generally the kind of guy I am attracted to.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    I personally like when a woman makes me wait for it.

Not for MONTHS, but yea....
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Good question Husky, I'm pretty sure that there isn't one answer to this.

My latest girlfriend and I had this conversations a month ago:

Me: Hey G, how long was it before you and M had sex ?
    Her: Ermm, I think I lasted 8 hours......me a slapper!
    Me: PMSL!

They are living together and very much in love for 3 years now :heart:

Then there are the men (and women) that DO think it's wrong and DO think you're a slapper and WON'T entertain long term relationships once you 'give it up'!!!

I wouldnt even stereotype the type of guy that thinks it's wrong. Personally, I think, the older you get, the less significant it becomes. :flowerforyou:
  • Tube_socks
    Tube_socks Posts: 808 Member
    I wait for exclusivity, which usually happens around the 6-8th week. So far, it's worked for me. No guy has given up because I didn't sleep with them. I'm also, very into sex but I prefer to get to know him a bit. This is for me. Though I'm very sexual, I also can't separate sex from my emotions (unless I'm in that mindset). Sooo for my own protection, I say no! It's hard but I can't get caught up too fast. That's way harder than temptation.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    I think it's in the best interest of a woman who likes a guy and is interested in a relationship with him to hold out for at least awhile. This forces the relationship to focus on how well your personalities work together and gives you a chance to get to know a person. It also weeds out guys who are playing you for sex.

I'm not a jealous guy. . I never was anyway. . I don't know yet how my experience with my marriage will change that. In my case, I think it will add a lot of confidence to any future relationship if I KNOW that the woman is someone who cherishes sex as something that's part of a larger relationship.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    346t4dw.jpg
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    This may happen if you have sex too soon:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIM-8DT-F_k
  • UsedToBeHusky
    This may happen if you have sex too soon:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIM-8DT-F_k

That. was hysterical!! :laugh:

Fortunately for me, I can't get pregnant! :happy:
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    346t4dw.jpg

They lose all respect for spelling the wrong LMAO
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    I personally think in this case you should figure it out for YOU not for what the man may or may not think.

What do you want out of your union? just sex or a relationship?

If you want a relationship, I think the 1st date is probably a bad idea. Also, if you are an emotional person.
    Probably best to get to know them a bit better to make sure you are compatible, also will help you weed out someone who only wants sex if a relationship is what you want.

If you want a FWB or a ONS have atter!
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    But traditional doesn't always mean controlling... and given some of my personality characteristics, this is generally the kind of guy I am attracted to.
    It was a bit unclear, but I didn't mean that traditional is controlling, the two notions were separate in my mind and I was just listing the kind of typical behaviour you could expect from a man who has a "bad opinion" of a woman who had sex early.
    I would expect these two behaviours to be found in the same man in this specific case, for different reasons:

- Controlling:
    That you decide to have sex on date 1 or on date 34, as a general rule, is nobody's business. If it pleases you to do it, you do it.
    If you decide to have sex on date 1 with a particular man, and this man doesn't find women who do this respectable, but this man nonetheless decides to have a long relationship with you (which makes no sense, which is why the original question made little sense to me(*) ), then don't expect respect from this man (he has a bad opinion of you).
    This man will likely use this as a lever to prevent you from going out, seeing other male friends, etc. later down the line, seeing how he disapproves of your attitude => controlling.

- Traditional (read 50 years ago):
    I imagine people would have waited more, so this person is most likely in in this mindset.

(*): the only way I can understand your question and make sense of it is:
    "What is the current cultural norm regarding having sex with someone early on? I want and like to have sex early on, and I have pleasure in doing so.
    But, if I do that, do I still have a decent chance to find a man for a LTR or will most men disrespect me for that and I will never get a good chance to find a LTR this way?"

My answer to this question is this (just quoting here):
    "Some men do think that, some don't. I personally don't, and there are men who don't.

Though I would imagine that the majority of men think less of a woman who sleeps with a man early on, especially when that man is not them (maybe not [on MFP]).
    " (the answers you get here are definitely biased, I don't think men here are really representative)

As Kimad say, you need to figure out what YOU want to do. If you value
    - Sex early on more, then you will need to find a man that is accepting of that ultimately.
    - LTR more (and possibly traditional men, then), because I believe most men will still form a bad opinion of this, you should wait until date 2-3+ to minimize your risk of the guy forming a bad opinion (**).

You can also do a mixture of both, but know that if a man has had to wait and finds out that you are dropping your pants early for someone else, he is absolutely going to lose all respect for you and feel like he has been cheated (you make it as if sex is precious in front of him, but with others, you have sex => you have been leading him on).

(**) Why you would go out with a man who has a bad opinion of something YOU want to do is still beyond me. Fundamentally, he doesn't like a part of YOU - the only reason why he has a high opinion of you is because you have been hiding this part of you from him.
    If he knew, he would have a low opinion of you - even though he currently has a different opinion, this is still the same man we are talking about (the man you are with in a LTR now).
    This is what I don't understand (although I suppose people change with time, and he would respect you for other reasons).
  • UsedToBeHusky
    But traditional doesn't always mean controlling... and given some of my personality characteristics, this is generally the kind of guy I am attracted to.
    It was a bit unclear, but I didn't mean that traditional is controlling, the two notions were separate in my mind and I was just listing the kind of typical behaviour you could expect from a man who has a "bad opinion" of a woman who had sex early.
    I would expect these two behaviours to be found in the same man in this specific case, for different reasons:

- Controlling:
    That you decide to have sex on date 1 or on date 34, as a general rule, is nobody's business. If it pleases you to do it, you do it.
    If you decide to have sex on date 1 with a particular man, and this man doesn't find women who do this respectable, but this man nonetheless decides to have a long relationship with you (which makes no sense, which is why the original question made little sense to me(*) ), then don't expect respect from this man (he has a bad opinion of you).
    This man will likely use this as a lever to prevent you from going out, seeing other male friends, etc. later down the line, seeing how he disapproves of your attitude => controlling.

- Traditional (read 50 years ago):
    I imagine people would have waited more, so this person is most likely in in this mindset.

(*): the only way I can understand your question and make sense of it is:
    "What is the current cultural norm regarding having sex with someone early on? I want and like to have sex early on, and I have pleasure in doing so.
    But, if I do that, do I still have a decent chance to find a man for a LTR or will most men disrespect me for that and I will never get a good chance to find a LTR this way?"

My answer to this question is this (just quoting here):
    "Some men do think that, some don't. I personally don't, and there are men who don't.

Though I would imagine that the majority of men think less of a woman who sleeps with a man early on, especially when that man is not them (maybe not [on MFP]).
    " (the answers you get here are definitely biased, I don't think men here are really representative)

As Kimad say, you need to figure out what YOU want to do. If you value
    - Sex early on more, then you will need to find a man that is accepting of that ultimately.
    - LTR more (and possibly traditional men, then), because I believe most men will still form a bad opinion of this, you should wait until date 2-3+ to minimize your risk of the guy forming a bad opinion (**).

You can also do a mixture of both, but know that if a man has had to wait and finds out that you are dropping your pants early for someone else, he is absolutely going to lose all respect for you and feel like he has been cheated (you make it as if sex is precious in front of him, but with others, you have sex => you have been leading him on).

(**) Why you would go out with a man who has a bad opinion of something YOU want to do is still beyond me. Fundamentally, he doesn't like a part of YOU - the only reason why he has a high opinion of you is because you have been hiding this part of you from him.
    If he knew, he would have a low opinion of you - even though he currently has a different opinion, this is still the same man we are talking about (the man you are with in a LTR now).
    This is what I don't understand (although I suppose people change with time, and he would respect you for other reasons).

That was all super-helpful, thanks.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    I honestly think that a man who will put out for me on a first date is not husband material.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    I always go too fast......wait.....wut?

On a serious note....It would impact my perception. I would expect the girl to wait at least a little while......but not forever either. I guess it is a delicate balance.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    I always go too fast......wait.....wut?

On a serious note....It would impact my perception. I would expect the girl to wait at least a little while......but not forever either. I guess it is a delicate balance.

432 hours, or so