Thanksgiving - Is indulging okay with your plan?

Replies

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,243 Member
    I am probably in the minority here but is indulging in what you want going to help you reach your goal of 90 lbs to lose.
    If its a holiday then there is more time to take walks and maybe cut up tons of fruit for dessert.

Yes, it will help with my overall goal of losing weight and being healthy. Part of this is that I want to be healthy for the rest of my life... and I refuse to give up the wonderful foods of the holiday for the rest of my life.

Plus, a day or two during the year is NOT what made us all fat. It was the other 300+ days that did it.
  • cmacphee3
    cmacphee3 Posts: 278 Member
    Stategically planned indulgance!

I am making myself in charge of deserts...:devil:

This is a great idea. My mom said she isn't providing dessert this year and i offered to bring some veggie sides, but maybe I'll also make a really healthy dessert.
  • cmacphee3
    Well, personally I plan to load up on the carrots and turkey, go easy on the potatoes and stuffing, and NO ONE is keeping me from the pumpkin pie! In fact, maybe I'll just save all my calories through the day so I can eat nothing but pumpkin pie!

This sounds like a great plan to me!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    its once a year.
    I EAT IT ALL
    I DRINK IT ALL
    I work out double.
    I get two since the sister-in-law is Canadian. :laugh:

My plan is like yours, eat all the food, drink all the beer, get back on track on Monday.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    See holiday's can be a leading cause for so many to slip back into old habits. Summer bodies are created in the winter. I will be working out before our big family gathering, our Thanksgiving usually starts at lunch time and ends by 9 or 10 at night. I will monitor what I eat and will choose wisely but I will not deprive myself either. I will use that day as my cheat meal, but will do it in a responsible manner. I have goals I'm still aiming for and I refuse to let 1 day set me back too far.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    silly!!! thanksgiving is in november!

By November we're snowed in and can only travel by dogsled........
  • mel4bee
    mel4bee Posts: 225 Member
    i live in Canada too. I'm planning to eat more turkey and veggies and less dessert. Drink water only and just make sure my portions are not too big
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    I am probably in the minority here but is indulging in what you want going to help you reach your goal of 90 lbs to lose.
    If its a holiday then there is more time to take walks and maybe cut up tons of fruit for dessert.

Yes, it will help with my overall goal of losing weight and being healthy. Part of this is that I want to be healthy for the rest of my life... and I refuse to give up the wonderful foods of the holiday for the rest of my life.

Plus, a day or two during the year is NOT what made us all fat. It was the other 300+ days that did it.

Yep... This will only work if we're able to maintain what we're doing. Well, in the short run being strict would get you there quicker but in long run, you'll only stay healthy if you can learn to deal with all the curveballs.

I have a suprise party to go to this evening, a wedding and reception tomorrow and then Thanksgiving dinner on Mon. I plan to eat light during the day and try to get some good workouts in on Sunday and Monday. For the various meals- I'll eat what I want, in moderation. I'll probably avoid the plate of dessert I used to have, but will pick and choose a couple things that look best to me.

In the past I have offered to take sides/desserts to meals, just so I know there's something healthier I can have. Hosts usually appreciate that too, since it helps them out a bit.
  • schonsdragon
    schonsdragon Posts: 102 Member
    I will not binge but nor will I deprive myself. I will eat what I want in reasonable size portions and ignore what I don't want. Yes, I will probably run that morning but then I do so most mornings. Moderation is the key to handling not just the holidays but life day to day.
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Eat what I want, track it, laugh at the numbers.

Try to have a "I ate 30000000 more calories of pumpkin pie than you" contest?
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Ask yourself this - what do you plan on eating at Thanksgiving/Easter/Christmas/New Year's/Birthdays when you finally reach your goal weight?

My plan for this week-end, and for Halloween followed 3 days by my eldest's birthday, followed 1 month by my son's birthday followed 2 weeks by Christmas, then New Year's and then 3 days later my husband's birthday is to keep on moving, keep making memories with my family, and enjoy the day. Yes I'll probably go over my calories, no it won't put me right back into my size 14s from last year.
  • _Bajiggity
    _Bajiggity Posts: 100 Member
    I eat whatever I want, its just one day. How much damage can it do?
  • sugarkissprincess
    sugarkissprincess Posts: 2,595 Member
    I still keep on track and make the "healthier" decisions. Worked for me last year :)
  • cmacphee3
    It's never the big meals that get me, it's the treats that keep showing up for two months. My plan for Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year is to go for it with gusto, but remember that each is a holiDAY, not a holiWEEK or a holiMONTH.

Yes! I tend to make Christmas into a month long overindulgence. I will have to watch that very closely this year!
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    My plan for the holidays is to continue exercising as I am now and enjoy the holiday fare. If I gain a few pounds they will quickly come off in January when all of the cookies, candy and pies are gone. Having said that, this is the first holiday season I've had since I've really gotten control over my eating and exercising so I may not gain anything. The sweet treats aren't as appealing as they once were and I exercise every day so the two should offset one another and it should be smooth sailing!
  • Excuse_less
    Excuse_less Posts: 874 Member
    I plan to completely wreck it on Thanksgiving!!! And love every minute of it !! But I know I'll be busting my *kitten* ..........as soon as the food coma lifts a few days later ;-)
  • I've been stressing and I still have a month or more to go lol! I'm going to eat the heatlhy things and take a plate to go for later. Enjoy this day with your family!
  • rhondatime2chg
    rhondatime2chg Posts: 92 Member
    It's a holiday, just eat what you want. That doesn't mean eat the whole pie or cake. It doesn't mean eat 3 servings of dinner. Enjoy yourself. Est what you want in moderation, go to sleep, wake up tomorrow and don't think twice about what you ate.

I agree. Instead of eating the whole pie, just eat one slice. Eat whatever you feel like eating, but in moderation.
  • Chari_Jan
    Chari_Jan Posts: 161 Member
    It's not what you eat 2 - 3 days a year that stop you from reaching your goals...it's the other 363 - 362 days. By all means enjoy Thanksgiving to the fullest!!!
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    go the gym in the morning > indulge

that said, i do watch my portions of food, not of booze though. :) it's the one time of year all of my old friends come back into town, so we always go out and have a great time. well worth the extra calories.