ketosis, fat adaption and burn fat

helloo everyone
i have some questions ...
1)first of alla whats the difference between fat adaption and ketosis
2) Is there any other way to lose/burn only fat (NOT MUSCLE) without being in ketosis?
3)my daughter (teenager) has a friend that says that is doing a burning fat diet and everyday at school eats : an apple and a whole grain bread with sam ham and cheese i think but doesnt she eat many carbs (if we consider that she eats foods and takes some more carbs when she's at home
4) can you burn fat but eat about 60g carb?
5) is it okay for my daughter to start this diet (keto) or any other diet that burns only fat
5) do you know any diet that burns only fat and is healthy and you can eat for sure an apple (fruit basically) and a toast (whole grain, cheese..etc.) ?

sorry if the're many questions

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    you cant burn 'only fat' if you are in a calorie deficit that will come from both fat and muscle. you can minimise muscle loss, but you cant stop it completely...

as for the girl who eats an apple and a slice of bread.... how is that not eating carbs!?
  • Well this girl does not want to lose weight but only fat (okay lets say she will lose some muscle too but not too much)
    usually in order to burn fat (at fat burning diets) you eat a diet which is HFLC (HIGH FAT LOW CARB) , so the body after 2-3 doesnt have enough carbs and burns fat as main source of energy and from fat stores (so this is what fat burn diet means).
    but if you eat more carbs than you should you wont burn fat . (you should eat 20% carbs ) so how can she eat what i said and burn fat?
  • TavistockToad
    Well this girl does not want to lose weight but only fat (okay lets say she will lose some muscle too but not too much)
    usually in order to burn fat (at fat burning diets) you eat a diet which is HFLC (HIGH FAT LOW CARB) , so the body after 2-3 doesnt have enough carbs and burns fat as main source of energy and from fat stores (so this is what fat burn diet means).
    but if you eat more carbs than you should you wont burn fat . (you should eat 20% carbs ) so how can she eat what i said and burn fat?

i eat 40-45% carbs and i lose fat just fine... fat/weight loss happens when you eat in a deficit, regardless of what you eat.
  • thank you for answering:)
    i would also like to ask you :
    is ketosis the only way to burn more fat? (and less muscles?)
  • TavistockToad
    thank you for answering:)
    i would also like to ask you :
    is ketosis the only way to burn more fat? (and less muscles?)

i dont know anythign about ketosis, so i cant answer that i'm afraid.

the best way to retain LBM is to ensure you get adequate protein and do strength/resistance training
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    I find your post more than a bit confusing, but I will just say a couple of things:

You absolutely do not need to be in ketosis to burn fat. High fat/low carb diets do not ensure fat loss/LBM preservation.

You will preserve a great deal of lean body mass (the muscle you are asking about) by making sure you're consuming adequate amounts of protein and using a proper strength training program based on progressive loading (by that I mean lifting increasingly heavier weights, or performing more reps).
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Stuff ketosis

Eat a balanced diet u will get better results on the same calories
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Stuff ketosis

Eat a balanced diet u will get better results on the same calories

Before eating keto, I wasn't losing weight whatsoever. I was eating 1500. Now I eat 1600, where the majority of my calories are fat and I've lost over 20 lbs since the end of July. For some people, keto may be the way to go.
  • dawnms8
    dawnms8 Posts: 6 Member
    If she is in Ketosis - it is like the Bernstein diet. She will basically have to eat like that for the rest of her life. Her body is not used to having the carbs and she will gain quickly if she starts eating carbs.

I have done the Bernstein diet and believe me it works............but the results don't stick because A-I love my carbs and B-it would have to be a perm lifestyle change. I personally can't do that, you need some carbs in your life.