offically reached the too skiny mark

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Cheese. The answer to your problem is clearly cheese. Unless your vegan. Then you are screwed.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member

What a bunch of bull. My wife is 5'4 and 113lbs, and is in extrememly good shape, with plenty of muscle, and still visible fat under the skin, all while eating over 2000 calories a day.. Everyone's bodies aren't the same, and you should stop giving advice until you can figure that out.

Rude much? I did give advice. "Go to a doctor"
    So you call somebody a liar, because of your own personal experience, and I'm the rude one? Good one.
    [/quote]

Your comments are based ONLY on your wife, right? Your wife is fine & happy? That's great. The OP is not. She said that she is too skinny and asked for help. If she is 5'7" and 117, then I believe her, that she may be too skinny and might need help.
    [/quote]

I just used my wife's stats to show that your one size fits all approach doesn't work. My problem was with you accusing the OP of lying because of how much you weighed at one point in your life, because they have nothing to do with each other.
    [/quote]

Umm I believe the reason she commented on the height/weight info being incorrect was because the info didn't match what the OP looks like in her profile pic, which she later told us was taken when she was 23lbs heavier. While the OP's profile pic is wonderful and she's pretty etc, she doesn't appear to be 117lbs at 5'7" in that pic.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    This person is CLEARLY trolling for attention. Im sorry to any of you who were honestly being nice and trying to help- but just don't waste your time! Its clear to see through the lies, its clear she just is bored and wants to argue with people. Starve her for attention and im sure shell slink off somewhere else. Anyone who "can't gain weight" wouldnt need a weight loss site- how did she get fat in the first place??! And anyone who doesnt track calories or excersize cant say they know how much they are comsuming! And anyone who is that tall and has such a low weight does not look like that!! If you are being honest with yourself, and you are truly not lying, the FIRST thing you need to do is buy a new scale, because someone tampered with yours. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just being honest.

Did you read the thread? That's an old profile pic.
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    This person is CLEARLY trolling for attention. Im sorry to any of you who were honestly being nice and trying to help- but just don't waste your time! Its clear to see through the lies, its clear she just is bored and wants to argue with people. Starve her for attention and im sure shell slink off somewhere else. Anyone who "can't gain weight" wouldnt need a weight loss site- how did she get fat in the first place??! And anyone who doesnt track calories or excersize cant say they know how much they are comsuming! And anyone who is that tall and has such a low weight does not look like that!! If you are being honest with yourself, and you are truly not lying, the FIRST thing you need to do is buy a new scale, because someone tampered with yours. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just being honest.

MFP is NOT just about weight loss sheesh :huh: There's also quite a few of us who are struggling with the transition to maintenance and continued weight loss, which is a pretty common issue people have.
  • A lot of gyms have nutrionists these days. It might be worth it to take the "tour" of one or join for a month if they allow it just to talk to the nutritionist and maybe get some insight on your weight loss. just my two cents.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    A lot of gyms have nutrionists these days. It might be worth it to take the "tour" of one or join for a month if they allow it just to talk to the nutritionist and maybe get some insight on your weight loss. just my two cents.

Seeing as a lot of "Nutritionists" these days just go through an online course for a few weeks to get certified, I'd rather suggest searching out a registered dietitian.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    You sound like me - you are not alone!!! I upped my calories when I hit my original goal of 136, and lost 10 lbs almost faster than when I was trying lose weight on purpose. I'm now in the mid 120s at 5'9" which puts me on the cusp of underweight.

I went to the doctor, she did my blood work and everything came back stellar.

Since then, I've learned to embrace skinny and rock it for all it's worth - believe me, there are worse problems to have. :)

I'm sure you look amazing.
  • jadedhippo
    jadedhippo Posts: 95 Member
    I wish I had this problem
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    I need health insurance :( I already do B&J for the win

Depending on how long this has been going on, I would say go see one at the ER if need be This is not normal, unless you are actually eating under your maintenance calories. Should determine that first before seeing a doc to save you some big bucks.

good luck

Going to the ER is terrible advice. If she can't afford to go to a regular doctor, how is she going to afford an ER visit? If there is an Urgent Care or Walk In Clinic, this would be much, much more affordable than a visit to the ER.

The Emergency Room is for...Duh... Emergencies. She isn't facing a life or death situation, so going to the ER is not necessary.

And although they are required by law to treat all patients in the Emergency Room, it isn't exactly free. They will take her to court to collect the fees, and will garnish her wages until the debt is paid.

TANSTAAFL
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    I took that when I first joined the site so that was 23 pounds ago. I think you are all right doc might be in order it will really be expensive though if they have to run tests I might have to pick between eating or the doctor

Is there no free or income based health clinic in your area? and there is always the dss. The low income clinic in my area charges $30 for the first meeting. The dss is pretty low as well. There is always Medicaid if you are that low income.

You have to be really, really poor to qualify for those programs depending on where she lives. Like income at less than $600 a month. Medicaid is even lower, with a max annual income of under $4,000. So, basically, homeless people only.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member

There are always county hospital/doctor's office ... you really need to get to the doctors and have them run some routine tests.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    I took that when I first joined the site so that was 23 pounds ago. I think you are all right doc might be in order it will really be expensive though if they have to run tests I might have to pick between eating or the doctor

Is there no free or income based health clinic in your area? and there is always the dss. The low income clinic in my area charges $30 for the first meeting. The dss is pretty low as well. There is always Medicaid if you are that low income.

You have to be really, really poor to qualify for those programs depending on where she lives. Like income at less than $600 a month. Medicaid is even lower, with a max annual income of under $4,000. So, basically, homeless people only.

She won't know if she does or does not qualify unless she looks into it. I thought with Obamacare EVERYONE was qualified for insurance coverage.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Just go to a family clinic. I do it all the time without insurance. It's about 150 $ to see the doctor and 30 $ for any test they can run in house. However, you're most likely a normal healthy individual. If your body was wasting, you'd know it. Constant peeing or diahrea are key indicators of wasting.
  • iechick

She won't know if she does or does not qualify unless she looks into it. I thought with Obamacare EVERYONE was qualified for insurance coverage.

Ha-good luck with that one, I've been trying to get on their stupid website to get a quote since October 1st and it kept glitching out on me. Finally got on Tuesday night and spent over two hours painstakingly filling out the application (which required tax information, w2s, kids' social security number etc etc, just to get a quote!), and then it crashed and only half of my info was saved and nothing I did was submitted to get a quote. If they can't even get a website to run then how the heck are they going to successfully run a massive healthcare program :grumble:
  • iechick

Depending on how long this has been going on, I would say go see one at the ER if need be This is not normal, unless you are actually eating under your maintenance calories. Should determine that first before seeing a doc to save you some big bucks.

good luck

Going to the ER is terrible advice. If she can't afford to go to a regular doctor, how is she going to afford an ER visit? If there is an Urgent Care or Walk In Clinic, this would be much, much more affordable than a visit to the ER.

The Emergency Room is for...Duh... Emergencies. She isn't facing a life or death situation, so going to the ER is not necessary.

And although they are required by law to treat all patients in the Emergency Room, it isn't exactly free. They will take her to court to collect the fees, and will garnish her wages until the debt is paid.

TANSTAAFL

We've had to pay out of pocket for ER visits-it starts at $1,000 and goes up from there, and that's for less than two hours of care and discharge. Med center runs $150 plus whatever extras you have done-much more doable. Also, you can always start at a med center and they'll forward you to the ER if it is something life threatening (been there, done that ugh). You'll get two bills that way, but at least you can say you tried to go the cheaper route.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    OP: to get your thyroid checked is a simple blood test. It isn't terribly expensive either, and any general practitioner should be able to work with you regarding self payment. You can sometimes get a significantly discounted rate by seeing an nurse practitioner instead at least for the initial visit to order bloodwork.

I would not put it off as thyroid problems can get more severe as you age and become serious. If you do have a problem, then it's best to find out about it now so you can get treated. If not, then at least you know it's not that.

Good luck to you!
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    I know I'm late to the party, but this is what I have to say to the OP:

1. Complete the profile; make sure your diary is tracking protein
    2. LOG all food and all exercise
    3. Evaluate

A vegetarian can get good sources of protein from plant sources, but it requires knowing about complementary proteins. Beans and rice, for instance. It also helps to know that oils increase the bioavailability of beta carotenes. If the idea of integrating starchy veg and oils to your diet gives you anxiety, you need to seek medical advice for a possible eating disorder.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Only on MyFitnessPal would I expect to see advice for someone to go immediately to the ER because they got to the low end of their BMI range.

Well done, MFP. Well done. You gave me the laugh of the day.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    at 5'4" I got to 115 once and was weak & sickly

I have a friend who at 10 pounds at 5'4" looks absolutely perfect.

At 5'3", I look great around 100-115 pounds.

Everyone is different.
  • iechick
    Only on MyFitnessPal would I expect to see advice for someone to go immediately to the ER because they got to the low end of their BMI range.

Well done, MFP. Well done. You gave me the laugh of the day.

That's what I was thinking too :tongue: