Good Heart Rate Monitor?

Hi!

I'm searching for a good heart rate monitor that's not too pricey so that I can log in exactly how many calories I burn in a day.
I've seen the Nike Fuel Band and I think that's too pricey for me. Broke student here. :(
Something that' preferably suited for females and an arm band so it doesn't interrupt my workout.

Thanks MFP!

Replies

• brentbarrie
    brentbarrie Posts: 532 Member
    Polar FT4 and FT7 are the most popular/reasonable.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Hi!

I'm searching for a good heart rate monitor that's not too pricey so that I can log in exactly how many calories I burn in a day.
    I've seen the Nike Fuel Band and I think that's too pricey for me. Broke student here. :(
    Something that' preferably suited for females and an arm band so it doesn't interrupt my workout.

Thanks MFP!
    A heart rate monitor is no good if you wish to wear it all day to log general calories. they are designed to log steady state cardio wearing it all day will be inaccurate. If you wish to monitor all day you need to be looking at things like the fitbit, Bodymedia or Nike fuelband. If you are struggling for money it could be worth looking at second hand ones
  • Have a look at this one, I dont regret purchasing this one... Easy to set up, does what it says on the package...

Beurer PM 25 Heart Rate Monitor - (purchased from Amazon £26.00)
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    It doesn't sound to me as if you are looking for a Heart Rate Monitor, you are describing a fancy pedometer to wear all day they are two completely different things and will need to ask the right question to get the best answer. I know nothing about fancy pedometers except I have no use for one because I can't see any point in owning one!
  • azlifah95
    azlifah95 Posts: 177 Member
    I should have been more specific in my question. I meant to log calories in a day when I do exercise.
    Thanks for the advice, noted. :)
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
  • determined2bfit13
    determined2bfit13 Posts: 91 Member
    Do you have a smart phone? I just bought the Polar H7 Bluetooth Smart Heart Rate Sensor on Amazon. It's a strap that goes on your chest. I pair it with my phone and use the Endomondo App to track the calories burned during my workouts at the gym.
    I also have the Map My fitness app which has GPS and tracks the calories when I walk.
    You can download these apps on your Ipod too if you have one.
  • geecee77
    geecee77 Posts: 149 Member
    If you are in the UK, go to a lloyds chemist and buy their own make for £12.99. You can buy it online too - a watch with a chest strap.
  • brentbarrie
    brentbarrie Posts: 532 Member
    The only way to accurately find out how many calories you are burning while you work out is a heart rate monitor. Apps and GPS wont give you anything accurate.
  • NH_Norma
    NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
    whatever you decide on, check heartratemonitorsusa.com because they guarantee lowest price. For the one I just ordered last night, it was $50 less than I could find the same one anywhere else. They are authorized for all the brands they sell. Also, coupon code VALUEDCUSTOMER will get you an extra 5% discount.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    i have a sportline watch with chest strap. i'm not sure of the real price i got luck the store was going out of business
  • Hey there are a range of different ones to choose from especially when it comes to price from budget to high. The main difference is the functionality and the materials they are made from. The expensive ones have GPS and calorie counters etc, as well as being more metallic or stainless.

There are also versions that have no watch or armband but you get a chest strap and then download an app for you phone that connects via Bluetooth. Neat ugh and everyone carries their phone everywhere right?

For more info and to check out reviews on a selection check here http://www.myheartbeatmonitor.com , good luck with the training.