it really isn't too good to be true

muskratface
muskratface Posts: 32 Member
Two weeks and seven pounds later, I am in awe at how well this site really works. I tried my best to remain skeptical, and until today I was still a little worried that maybe my scale was tricking me, maybe I had just lost water weight from cutting back on my sodium, etc. etc. But the skinny jeans test does not lie. Yessir, not a muffin top in sight! It's hard for me to see my own progress, and most of my trouble spots are still..troubling. I know they'll be the last to go so I'm trying be patient. They will go!

I visited my grandparents today, and was told that I'd had to stand in the same place twice to make a shadow. He's a funny old man. Speaking of which, has anyone ever had issues with other's reactions to the news that you're on a diet? I don't have body image issues, and don't look at all emaciated or unhealthy. I could lose 15 more pounds and my BMI would still be in the "healthy" range, but more often than not, when I tell someone I'm counting calories, they react as if I'm on the verge of an eating disorder and tell me that I shouldn't be dieting. How am I supposed to respond?

Replies

• muskratface
    Two weeks and seven pounds later, I am in awe at how well this site really works. I tried my best to remain skeptical, and until today I was still a little worried that maybe my scale was tricking me, maybe I had just lost water weight from cutting back on my sodium, etc. etc. But the skinny jeans test does not lie. Yessir, not a muffin top in sight! It's hard for me to see my own progress, and most of my trouble spots are still..troubling. I know they'll be the last to go so I'm trying be patient. They will go!

I visited my grandparents today, and was told that I'd had to stand in the same place twice to make a shadow. He's a funny old man. Speaking of which, has anyone ever had issues with other's reactions to the news that you're on a diet? I don't have body image issues, and don't look at all emaciated or unhealthy. I could lose 15 more pounds and my BMI would still be in the "healthy" range, but more often than not, when I tell someone I'm counting calories, they react as if I'm on the verge of an eating disorder and tell me that I shouldn't be dieting. How am I supposed to respond?
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    just explain to them that you're not looking to drop a tremendous amount of weight,
    and you don't think you're "fat", you just want to work on a few trouble spots, and you
    are eating the right foods in the right amounts, vitamins and minerals, and exercising. It's hard to fault
    that kind of logic.
  • blondeheat
    blondeheat Posts: 254 Member
    Hi,

I get that reaction too. I try not to discuss my eating habits with friends and family. That's why I post here! We all know that you don't go from a healthy size to unhealthy instantly. Taking care of a few pounds before it's a problem is a great idea.
  • cnolovechild
    cnolovechild Posts: 179
    I've had mixed reactions from people since I've started my "diet". I don't like referring to it as a such because people assume I'm starving myself to lose weight. I have a lot to lose so to me it seems a little absurd that a 'big girl' like me would be starving :laugh: I think that sometimes no matter what some people feel the need to scoff at someone trying to better their life no matter what it is that is changing whether it's weight or giving up smoking etc etc. As long as you know that you're making a healthy choice for yourself don't let other people get you down! Congrats on the weightloss!
  • rosabella
    rosabella Posts: 194 Member
    I know what you mean! I'm at the top of my "healthy" range and just looking to take care of myself, but people always feel the need to say "Oh, go on, have a cookie, you're skinny!" which just makes me mad!! :explode:
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Good for you!! This site really does make it almost easy.

I've learned not to go into the nitty gritty of the way I eat and analyze it because a friend of mine was also (temporarily) concerned that I was doing something unhealthy.
  • kasuki
    kasuki Posts: 74 Member
    I have been told (alot recently) Karen you don't need to lose anymore weight, you are going to waste away to nothing. No one has ever seen me at a healthy weight as I have been overweight since about the age of 13. I started MFP at a BMI of 33 (which is obese) and it shocked me. I always considered myself a little overweight. My BMI as of today is 21.8 and I feel great. I have so much more energy and get up and go , that I run circles around my husband and coworkers. I am always up and moving now. I just tell everyone that I am no longer trying to lose anymore weight I am now in maintance so there is no need to worry about me. I probably do look very thin to people who have never seen me at a normal weight for my height. Also alot of the people telling me to not lose anymore weight are the very same ones that could lose a few pounds themselves, and of course when they ask how I have done it I always tell them if they are interested in losing weight they should check out MFP because that is what really has made my weight loss possible and almost easy.
    Karen
  • muskratface
    I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one! I try not to get into my eating habits and calorie counting biz with other people, but sometimes "No thanks, I already ate," doesn't cut it and I have to explain why I really would rather not join in on the midnight hot dog/root beer/tater chip buffet. Thanks for your suggestions! From now on I'll be telling people that it's more about trying to make healthier lifestyle choices than "dieting," and that's true!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!