Music

Getting out that old guitar could have a few perks!

So, you see it sitting in the back of your closet. The old guitar. You love playing it when you were 25. But now, you're an adult, too old and too stressed to play a musical instrument. You're on your diet, always exercising, always counting your foods.
But did you know that music playing burns calories? More calories than you'd think!
Let's compare options for exercise:
A person with a weight of 185 can...
1) Take a walk around the park, 2.5 mph pace- 30 minutes
Calories burned: 126
2) Playing a music instrument, like a violin- 30 minutes
Calories burned: 105
There was a 21 calorie difference.
But burning calories isn't the only benefit you may receive.
Studies show that playing a musical instrument can help improve brain function, which can prevent brain diseases.
All in all, playing a musical instrument is a wise choice to do when on a diet.

Replies

• Getting out that old guitar could have a few perks!

So, you see it sitting in the back of your closet. The old guitar. You love playing it when you were 25. But now, you're an adult, too old and too stressed to play a musical instrument. You're on your diet, always exercising, always counting your foods.
    But did you know that music playing burns calories? More calories than you'd think!
    Let's compare options for exercise:
    A person with a weight of 185 can...
    1) Take a walk around the park, 2.5 mph pace- 30 minutes
    Calories burned: 126
    2) Playing a music instrument, like a violin- 30 minutes
    Calories burned: 105
    There was a 21 calorie difference.
    But burning calories isn't the only benefit you may receive.
    Studies show that playing a musical instrument can help improve brain function, which can prevent brain diseases.
    All in all, playing a musical instrument is a wise choice to do when on a diet.
  • amandagreen1980
    amandagreen1980 Posts: 286 Member
    That is brilliant!!

My husband bought me an electric guitar for christmas 3 years ago and my new years resolution every year is to learn how to play it properly!! I was just saying to him that is my resolution again and i saw this post!

What better excuse than this to actually do it this year!!

:laugh:
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Does guitar hero for the Wii count. We play that hours on end. You have to strum and play keys????
  • borjanap
    borjanap Posts: 232 Member
    There was actually a discussion about the Wii a few weeks ago. They are trying to come up with products to help people stay fit.
  • amandagreen1980
    amandagreen1980 Posts: 286 Member
    Ohmygosh!!!
    I did not know there was a guitar hero game for the Wii!!! :happy:

I have wanted one of those for a while and my husband and I played on his little brothers this christmas and it was Brilliant!!!!

They are so expensive still here though!!! £200 with just one controller!!!! :grumble:

How much are they in the States?
  • icandoit
    Ohmygosh!!!
    I did not know there was a guitar hero game for the Wii!!! :happy:

I have wanted one of those for a while and my husband and I played on his little brothers this christmas and it was Brilliant!!!!

They are so expensive still here though!!! £200 with just one controller!!!! :grumble:

How much are they in the States?

Go on ebay, We got the guitar hero 3 game and guitar for $89.00. It is a blast. I can kick my husbands butt. He makes all kinds of excuses.
  • icandoit
    There was actually a discussion about the Wii a few weeks ago. They are trying to come up with products to help people stay fit.

they are putting them in rest homes too. It is keeping the people active.