INSANITY Question

I begin Insanity today! I completed about six weeks of it last year but quit because I had only lost five pounds (stupid, I know.) This time around I am putting my scale away and focusing solely on how I feel and weekly progress pictures. I do not own an HRM so my question is, how do I log my Insanity workouts on MFP?

Replies

• ja9smakinachange
    ja9smakinachange Posts: 144 Member
    I always used Ciruit training general, but many use the kickboxing turbo jam workout. I felt that the count was too high with the kickboxing and went the safer lower route.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    I just do Add New Exercise and Type in the workout name and make my own.. And most people don't see any results until the 2nd month.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    i never bother logging workouts. i just did the calculation in the nutrition guide and set my calorie intake to that
  • Cueball55
    Cueball55 Posts: 152 Member
    I added my own exercise like that guy above said... but I would suggest a getting a HRM. It actually blew me away how high my heart rate was and how many calories I was burning.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    HRM's are not very good at giving estimated caloric burns for interval style training such as Insanity anyway. i would suggest logging it as "Aerobic, High Impact"
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    I do not own HRM. One of the best thing I did for my own sanity and mental health was calculating my TDEE and counting all my workout as if they burned only 1 calorie. Heres the links to calculate your TDEE

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ (but ignore the rest of the site as it's full of bs).

Source and more information: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • mellenorris
    mellenorris Posts: 99 Member
    All of the above are options I have seen!

With my HRM, I usually find that if I am HAULING, no breaks, no rests, no catching my breath... I burn about 10 calories/minute. If I work SUPER HARD, but stop to breathe for no more than 30 seconds now and then, I burn more around 8 calories/minute. Obviously, your fitness level and heart health will change those numbers! It's all an estimation, really. Compare your Insanity work outs to other fitness activities you "know" your burn with, and guess wisely :)
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Use the Circuit Training (General) option. The good thing is it is probably underestimating the calories burned.
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    I am a man 5ft 7 and 168 lbs.. I burn about 360 per half hr insanity.. I made my own exercise category for this.
    My wife burns around 250 calories and she is in a pretty good fit level.
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    I begin Insanity today! I completed about six weeks of it last year but quit because I had only lost five pounds (stupid, I know.) This time around I am putting my scale away and focusing solely on how I feel and weekly progress pictures. I do not own an HRM so my question is, how do I log my Insanity workouts on MFP?

I would change my diet to include Insanity workouts as TDEE and then record my insanity workouts as 1 calorie burned. Then theres no need to worry about how many calories you burned, is my HRM accurate etc. (Basically What Taunto Said)

Its great that you want to take weekly pics, but dont get discouraged if they look the same.
  • CharlzO
    CharlzO Posts: 96 Member
    I ended up doing a google search myself, for insanity workout calories burned, and somewhere in there, I found a few sites where people had listed their progress, their calories burned based on heart rate. I went through a bunch until I found a peson with the same age, weight, and approx heart rate as mine was. However, since I wasn't measuring with a HRM, I was trying things like the pulse app on my phone (like I trust THAT...), but more with a stopwatch and my pulse. Then I deducted another hundred from their burn, to give myself a little margin for my errors. And, since I usually undereat by a ways, figured even if I was over a little on the estimate, I was ok.

But each person is different, and I'm definitely picking up a monitor this week, because of that. But like the OP, I'm not soley focused on the worout to be the save me button. I'm not putting TOO much weight (pun?) in the program to lose weight, so much as make me feel better. I don't worry about the scale, but I'm going to finish this thing this time!
  • LisaMfit4life
    LisaMfit4life Posts: 567 Member
    HI! I would seriously consider getting a HRM. For one, Insanity is a high intensity workout and you should be monitoring your heart rate. If you program the heart rate monitor correctly and are wearing one with a chest strap you will get accurate readings. I own a Polar FT4. It was reasonable and is very accurate. I used it all during my Insanity workouts and now with T25! Hope this helps, and it's probably going to be confusing because you will get all types of answers on MFP. Do what you feel will work for you. Good luck!
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    I would also suggest the HRM route, but have seen just about everything listed too! I will add that I've done the numbers both ways, and I was pretty close to eating the same whether I used MFP settings for my BMR plus eating my calories back and using TDEE-20% method and logging calories as 1. Good luck!! I think as long as you stay dedicated to good nutrition and giving the workouts 100% you'll do great either way!!